Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bizarre Console / Ghost of Douglas Adams?

Bizarre Console / Ghost of Douglas Adams?
RGB
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 05:39 PM

I opened up my Console yesterday and among typical console entries, I found multiple instances of:

"Funny, how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does.
Pardon me for breathing, which I never do any way so I don't know why I bother to say it, oh God, I'm so depressed.
Would you like me to go and stick my head in a bucket of water?
Pardon me for breathing, which I never do any way so I don't know why I bother to say it, oh God, I'm so depressed.
My capacity for happiness, you could fit it into a matchbox without taking out the matches first.
Funny, how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does.
Wearly I sit here, pain and misery my only companions.
Ha, but my life is a box of wormgears.
Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it.
Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it.
Queue entry checksum mismatch : 989855744
My capacity for happiness, you could fit it into a matchbox without taking out the matches first."

Some of those lines seem like they are straight out of Marvin from the Hitchhiker's Guide "Trilogy"

Where might they be coming from? I'm running 10.1.5

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 05:48 PM

That's pretty funny. Marvin the Paranoid Android. Whatta character. So miserable.

vasu
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 06:05 PM

Do you have a Logitech mouse? The Logitech Control Center for OSX puts those messages in the Console. Some lonley programmer I guess.

-vasu

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
Do you have a Logitech mouse? The Logitech Control Center for OSX puts those messages in the Console. Some lonley programmer I guess.

-vasu
Bingo. I have the wireless optical one. What a waste of space in the console. If I upgrade to the latest version will those go away?

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2002, 12:23 PM

There was a report that removing a file named "marvin" in the Logitech package would stop the messages without affecting mouse operation. You could try that, but be prepared to put it back. (I don't have the Logitech drivers installed, so I can't verify that.)
Rumor has it the messages are mostly harmless.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by car1son:
Rumor has it the messages are mostly harmless.
That was a terrible pun.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules