Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is this a good price for a refurb?

is this a good price for a refurb?
bbt
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 06:51 PM

PowerMac G4 500MHz 27GB 256MB DVD-RAM ZIP USB - REFURBISHED
MSRP: 1210
Our Price: $1099
Model: G4500-MC
Items in Stock: 15

Description:
PowerMac G4 500MHz 27GB ULTRA ATA 256MB DVD-RAM ZIP USB - REFURBISHED

Condition: REFURB

Warranty: 1 YEAR

Specs: PowerMac G4 500MHz 27GB ULTRA ATA 256MB DVD-RAM ZIP USB - REFURBISHED

Packaging: OEM

Includes: 256MB of PC100 SDRAM 27GB 7200-rpm Ultra ATA/66 hard drive DVD-RAM drive with DVD-Video playback 100MB INTERNAL ZIP DRIVE ATI RAGE 128 graphics card with 16MB of SDRAM 10/100BASE-T Ethernet connector (RJ-45) (Refurb)

Shipping PricesUPS Ground FREE

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2002, 07:27 PM

Yeah thats a great deal plus the free shipping, nice. 466 units are going for that price without a zip or the DVD-RAM and whatelse.

GetSome681
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2002, 08:05 PM

I tend to disagree. For $500 or so more you can get a dual 867 (tax maybe) which will wipe the floor with that, except that the one you posted can write to a DVD. I know $500 isn't just "peanuts" to everyone, and by all means, it's not like it's a small amount of money to me either. I'd just be careful looking at spending around 70% the price of the new dual 867 on a model that's about 4 revisions old. I'd try to at least frind somethign with a 133 mhz bus as well, as personally I feel X to be much better on those compared to the 100's.

Decent deal...just wanted to chime in with my opinion in case I helped you to find something else, or realize anything. Good luck.

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 12, 2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by GetSome681:
I tend to disagree. For $500 or so more you can get a dual 867 (tax maybe) which will wipe the floor with that, except that the one you posted can write to a DVD. I know $500 isn't just "peanuts" to everyone, and by all means, it's not like it's a small amount of money to me either. I'd just be careful looking at spending around 70% the price of the new dual 867 on a model that's about 4 revisions old. I'd try to at least frind somethign with a 133 mhz bus as well, as personally I feel X to be much better on those compared to the 100's.

Decent deal...just wanted to chime in with my opinion in case I helped you to find something else, or realize anything. Good luck.
Agreed.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2002, 08:54 PM

and it's a freeken DVD-RAM! It's not a DRD-R.. you can't play that thing in a DVD player and the cost for blank DVD ram is stupid, it's a dead tech

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

bbt  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 11:16 AM

thanks guys

i'll probably get something newer when i have some money

i'm actually a pc guy, hardware guy but have become tired of inconpatible hardware issues and windows (i've used them all) doing strange things

i have tried to use mac os before with 8 and 9 on other people's macs but have never really liked the interface until 10.1 on my wife's db imac 500 (her imac came with 9 and i didn't like it either until i installed 10 on it)

i'm using 10.2 on her ibook 600 and i like the changes since 10.1

andrewbw
Sep 13, 2002, 11:24 AM

Another option may be the previous generation G4/800 tower -- There are a lot of third party resellers (macconnection.com, for example) that still have brand new units of this machine on sale for around $1200, with all sorts of premiums (free extra memory, etc.). That's only a couple hundred dollars more than the refurb you mentioned for a much newer model.

-A.
I'm not wearing any pants.

Forum Links
Forum Rules