Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dead Pixels!

Dead Pixels!
b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 02:15 AM

Ok I am starting a thread here for all the people like me who have dead pixels, of course there is the general word on massaging but has anyone heard any specific details about othe solutions? lets get it going here
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

OptG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 03:37 AM

mine has a dead pixel. well, maybe its not dead. it is just green. i guess the pixel is stuck in the color green. anyone no how to cure this? thanks.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 30, 2002, 03:57 AM

I've got a stuck green pixel, lower 5th of the screen. Not an iMac though.

kingskel
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 09:33 AM

Weirdly, mine appears to be green (green/white) also. Right side of the screen, halfway down.

OptG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 01:15 PM

my green pixel is in the lower right.

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 03:55 PM

Single pixel stuck on red toward the lower left.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2002, 04:08 PM

None on the iMac, Formac Gallery LCD, or iBook.

oopenstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 05:08 PM

Massaging works quite well. My 17in (so beautiful) had one towards the lower-left hand corner. Using the cloth provided by Apple, I rubbed. And rubbed. Quite gentle...nothing...I began to get pissed off...rubbed harder...gave it a little "damnit" power and it fades back into place.

If someone punctures their LCD, DO NOT blame me. I'm just saying, it takes a little pressure...

On an unrelated note, window resizing is still a bit choppy...
I'm the operator with my pocket calculator.

boardsurfer
Sep 9, 2002, 07:28 PM

Got a 17 incher yesterday. 1 dead pixel -

Havent had the guts to attempt to massage it out yet. It appears to be stuck in green.

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2002, 09:47 PM

Is there a diagnostic app I can download and run to reveal any dead pixels I might have?

I have an iMac 15 with no dead pixels (I think) but my iMac 17 is still brand new and therefore I haven't really scrutinized it as much yet.... plus the screen is much larger, the resolution higher, and each pixel smaller so it's harder to notice dead pixels if they exist especially with the busy jaguar desktop faux fur I'm currently using... not to mention, me no see so good. Me need new glasses.

All this talk of dead (or green) pixels has me paranoid.

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 01:12 AM

well i have a stuck red and stuck blue pixel. I can only see them when i let the screen saver come on (the jaguar flurry one that kicks so much ass imho), because then the screen is black but still on and i can see them there... otherwise if you don't know they are there then whats the harm? A dead pixel might be ab it more blatant on a white page
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

Coxy
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 04:34 AM

My iMac has got two, I'll have to try the rough massage trick.
Commander ~Coxy of the 68kMLA

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2002, 09:57 PM

Don't massage too hard. You could cause underlying pixel damage. I've learned my lesson from a TiBook screen that I massaged a little too hard. All you're trying to do is to squish the liquid around a little. If it doesn't come back to life with a tiny bit of pressure, it's probably permanent.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 10:11 AM

I just got my 17" Imac yesterday and I too have a stuck pixel. A blue one. It sucks big time especially when everything else is so great.

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by sensorfreaky:
Is there a diagnostic app I can download and run to reveal any dead pixels I might have?
I can't remember the name of the one I got from Versiontracker.com but do a search there and you should find it; I think it was called Pixelcheck but I'm probably wrong.

Coxy
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2002, 06:21 AM

That program has a really bad rating for some reason.
I'd just use Graphic Converter, make a huge blank picture and fill it with black, then go into the mode that hides the menus and toolbox. (Full Screen or something, it's called.)
Commander ~Coxy of the 68kMLA

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Coxy:
That program has a really bad rating for some reason.
I'd just use Graphic Converter, make a huge blank picture and fill it with black, then go into the mode that hides the menus and toolbox. (Full Screen or something, it's called.)
Hmm... well, all I can say is that it's worked fine for me; I've used it on my iBook as well as some FP iMacs at work.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2002, 02:04 PM

I just discover that I don't have one stuck pixel but at least three. I say at least because the first one that I discovered appears bigger than the other two, which makes me think that there are two adjacent to each other. So my count is three for sure but maybe four. Anyone know Apple's policy? I heard that at three pixels they will exchange your screen. I am not sure if it is true...

boardsurfer
Sep 18, 2002, 03:44 PM

I thought it was 4 maybe 5. Call the nearest store, find out!

andycroll
Sep 19, 2002, 01:22 PM

I was lucky enough that when I bought my iMac I kicked up a fuss when I discovered the green pixel dead centre on the display.

I complained enough that they brought me a new machine. It's always worth doing. Most outlets have no-quibble return guarantees certainly in the short term. Threaten to take your business elsewhere. If you bought using credit card you're covered as well, at least in the UK.

In future I'm gonna buy all my LCD screens from a store where I can try before I buy. That way I can check for myself. Particularly with Apple hardware which doesn't really get that much of a discount from online stores or mail order.

That's my 2p anyway.

Andy

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 12:06 AM

I talk to the guys I bought my imac from (small store) and he said he will tell Apple that the screen is not satisfactory and that needs a replacement. I was quite surprised but he ordered the new screen and should come soon, I hope.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2002, 08:40 PM

Good advice. I will be buying an iMac as my next computer purchase. I don't want any lame pixels.

Both my laptops are fine. But my 22" cinima at work as one dead pixel. I need to try to message it. I wonder if I message it too hard and ruin it, if my work will get me a 23"!!!!

removablemike
Sep 29, 2002, 01:13 PM

Is it strange that the iMac I received on Friday has zero dead pixels?

Forum Links
Forum Rules