Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > unable to install OS X from CD

unable to install OS X from CD
MoontaMacman
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2002, 04:53 AM

Last weekend something "ate" my PowerMac 733 ROM file - either Warcraft 3 or the power failure while I was playing it - either way I got a message saying "The MacOS ROM file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall your Mac OS system software to get a new copy"
Well two days later I am unable to get the installation disc to install- I formatted the drive and started afresh - even borrowed a later disk from a friend - mine were 10.03 and 10.1.2 - hers is 10.1.4 but none of them will let me install - they get a certain distance into the process and then "there were errors installing the software. Could not write file. Please try installing again" - now on my last attempts I am getting "the installer has unexpectedly quit (error 0) Press the Return key to restart" -- none of this helps of course- the drive has been re-formatted numerous times now. (the 10.1.4 got the furthest at first but it too completely fails now)
Strangely enough the OS 9.2 on the second hard drive fires up - so in that sense the computer is still working but I just cannot get OS X to install - I have even read the instructions and tried every variation of the process I could see - all to no avail.

Going slowly madder!!

If the OS 9 side wasn't working I would suspect a hardware failure in the Mac itself - I have searched the Apple Knowledge Base backwards, forwards and sideways but nothing useful came up

Does the word "help" sound too desperate? :-))

any ideas, suggestions very much appreciated

Ron Co (where has the friendly part of Mac use gone?)
http://home.iprimus.com.au/alenka_ron

MoontaMacman  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 01:42 AM

I contacted my dealer's tech today and he advised me to use the RESTORE disc and not the instal ldisc - which I did but this took me back to OS 9.1 then he said I would not be able to use the later discs 10.1.2 ans 10.1.4 as they were for iMac and emac - which I guess makes sense e=xcepts tat in the installer - which I have seen MANY times these last 2-3 days - it says "this system can be installed on - " and it lists a swag of models from G3 to latest G4 models iMacs. emacs , Powerbooks.iBooks ???

OK so I did as told but still I get the process go right through to the "Processing essential software" stssge - about 6 minutes to go - then
either -
"There were errors installing the software --- could not write file OR could not unarchive files"

This is crazy - I tried zapping PRAM (getting desparate) - ran Disk First Aid (no problems on either disk) and Nortons Utilities - interestingly Nortons won't even look at the hard drive I am trying to install on - freshly initialised and blank - I am starting to suspect the drive - but- as I said - why will OS 9 run on it if it is faulty? Crazy and crazier!

Ron

MoontaMacman  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2002, 07:43 PM

Slowly coming to the realisation my G4 has major problems - ran the Apple Hardware Test CD - Version 1.1 for Power Macs and it came up with an "Error Detected" for Mass Storage the first time - I restarted, zapped the PRAM and on the second test the MassStorage passed the test but now the Memory shows up an "Error Detected" message - the errors were:
ata1/6/3 HD:2,1 for the Mass Storage error
and error : mem_/2/5 for the Memory test -
the test stops there so I have no results for the Modem and Video board tests - looks like a visit to the city soon.
At present also the DVD player doesn't play and the drive cannot initialise DVD discs - although I have been able to initialise and copy data onto CDs - which test out OK on my iMac so I am in the process of removing and backing up data in case the techs need to do drastic things to my drives - I had already reformatted the drive I was trying to install OS X onto

The DVD player through up an error (-9881) - whatever all these error messages mean :-((
thanks to those who read the preceding

Ron

MoontaMacman  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2002, 03:51 AM

I am posting this in the hope that if anyone else has this problem it may be of help -and save them the $99 per hour I am facing-- :-)
it seems that when the power failure corrupted my bios and the message said "Reinstall from your System Disk" - or words to that effect - it should have said -" AND ALSO get all the updates and such for the old OS 9 from the internet"

I finally gave in and sent it to the Tech in Adelaide - nice fellow - and when I rang him he informed me that all was installing sweet as pie - AFTER he updated the OS 9 to the latest - which of course I thought I had but there you go - a simple and expensive mistake on my part - freight costs twice plus labour - think I'll make a note of this one and try to remember it if it happens again.
The real test will be when I get it home and try some of the troublesome software - ah the fun of it all !

At least I tried -about 50 times ! Hate it when these simple things beat me.

Ron

MoontaMacman  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2002, 04:14 AM

I was wrong - the tech was premature in his info last post - what he thought was a simple matter of installing earlier OS 9 updates was not so - some how the hard drive itself was corrupted - the procedure he explained to me was this :-
1) he reformatted in UNIX - low level
2) he installed OS X
3) he reformatted in HFS extended
4) he reinstalled OS X
5) did all the updates
charged me for less than two hours which shows he is kind to old folks - still no idea of the cause but at least I seem to be back up and running - he had the machine about 4 work days and on the third day still did not have it sorted so at least it was not an obvious fault I should have been able to remedy - says he kickin himself for lack of tech skills :-)

Hope my last post didn't mislead but I was just passing on what he told me

Ron Co

Forum Links
Forum Rules