Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DV - PAL (too light), and MPEG-2 (too dark)

DV - PAL (too light), and MPEG-2 (too dark)
Simon Young
Oct 7, 2002, 10:44 PM

Ever since I've had my iMac (about a year now) I've noticed that, in Final Cut Pro 2.0, when I render stuff in DV PAL, the rendered video is much 'brighter' than the original video, even if the original video was in fact captured using the DV PAL default setting. Why is this? Is there a way to change this, or is it perfectly normal? If it is normal, why should it be so bright? I'm having to use Radius's SoftDV PAL setting to export short DV projects at the correct brightness, but I suspect this gives less good results than the Apple DV codec. Also, I've dabbled in using Radius's YUV DV setting, as it appears to yield more accurate results than the SoftDV setting. However, the file sizes are huge (2.9GB for 3 minutes of video!). What's the best format for archiving footage with zero quality loss, apart from 'None' which takes up way too much space!

Also, I've been using the Quicktime 6 add-on that allows you to play back MPEG-2 files. I've combined this feature with Final Cut to enable me to edit MPEG-2 files I've ripped from DVD. However, when opening the MPEG-2 files in Quicktime Player, or in Final Cut, they are really dark. At first I thought this was natural, given the difference in gamma settings between different monitors. However, I recalled once converting MPEG-2 to other formats using MPEG2 Converter, and the resulting video was certainly not that dark. Again, is there a setting somewhere for controlling how bright the MPEG-2 output is from Quicktime, because when I'm exporting my finished projects from Final Cut, they are much too dark for my TV!!!

Thanks a bunch!!

Si

Simon Young  (op)
Oct 9, 2002, 01:27 PM

Bumping up...come on, someone must know a solution!

T Allen
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2002, 01:57 AM

Try one of the creativecow.net forums (QT or FCP). You should get an answer damn quick.

Forum Links
Forum Rules