Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The iTunes Improvement Thread

The iTunes Improvement Thread
btallboys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2002, 02:05 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering what improvements you all thought could be made specifically to iTunes in its next revisions. Don't comment on the current speed problems that some of you have as I am sure that Apple will fix that for itself; I am more interested in additional features you would like to see. Here are some of my own:

1) An option for not allowing duplicate files in your playlist. Sometimes I have a song both in my album collection and my singles, and I would prefer not having both in my playlist. Soundjam had this option.

2) Recording function - another Soundjam feature. I would like to be able to record mp3's from input devices.

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 9, 2002, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by btallboys:

2) Recording function - another Soundjam feature. I would like to be able to record mp3's from input devices.
I can see this as being real touchy where DRM is concerned.

But anyway:

�_The ability to change the speed of a song (like Audion), maybe even have it burn with that setting (pushing it)

�_Karoke mode

chris_h
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:

I can see this as being real touchy where DRM is concerned.

no

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 04:16 AM

My suggestions:

Return of Kareoke, that was fun!

Ability to speed up files, with or without changing pitch

Ability to cross fade to next song when hitting 'next'. (latest Winamp does this)

Ability to cross fade to any part of the song you decide to jump to. (making seamless transitions from say the start of a song, to a point near the end)

BURN ALL EFFECTS!! That means burn your volume adjustment dammit! Also burning crossfades and EQ settings would be damn nice

When burning an MP3 CD, use the start and end markers!! My car plays MP3 CD's, but I like to start the song after any talking at the start has been done. I prefer not to edit the MP3 itself. This works on an audio CD, not MP3 CD though!

Record from line input.

When burning a CD longer than standard CD lenght, prompt for a new CD. For both MP3 CDs and Audio CDs.

That's all I can think of for now!

Jeremy

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2002, 04:31 AM

I'd like to be able to hide the playlists, I have an iPod so to me they're very useful but I'd still like to hide them when I'm not using them.

I'd like the abilty to have my Music Library extend to more than one disk. I have a dedicated drive for music now but it will soon spill over on to another.

I'd like some kind of preview for my iPod, I have a lot of playlists but it's hard to keep track of which ones I currently have on the pod, this could be solved simply by having a different icon for iPod playlists.

I think perhaps more could be done to facilitate browsing, iTunes is great if you know the song you want or the album or the artist, but if you're just browsing you have this huge list (mine is 12,000 songs) and you can page up and down or scroll. I know there is the 'browse' button but I don't find this instictive for some reason.

There could be an album viewing mode where the list goes away and you get a nicely laid out album title, with a list of songs. You could set the fonts and the sizes for this layout yourself (or maybe that would be tacky) and it would be easy to differentiate between genres by colour or and icon.

Maybe some kind of intelligent song selection, you tell iTunes what kind of music to play at a certain time of day and it will lean towards that type of music when shuffling. It would have a built in alarm clock, wait, how cool would a bluetooth alarm clock be? iWake or something, it syncs with your mac when you set it and tells it to do stuff, like play certain tracks, it keeps network time, it could remind you of appointments, woo, off topic here!

I think intelligence and talking more to other applications is what i'm saying here.

That's all I can think of at the mo!
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

OreoCookie
Oct 9, 2002, 05:08 AM

Being able to adjust the volume in the Dock.
Smaller footprint in memory and CPU.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Zoro
Oct 9, 2002, 05:34 AM

• Use Quicktime encoders, so that we can encode sound in mp3 in iMovie and use AAC in iTunes
  • Open folders or MP3 cds as a different source
  • view the librairy of other users on the same computer (or public playlist) as a source

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2002, 07:50 AM

have the same song file in 2 albums in stead of needing 2 files (for best of albums when you have some full albums)

mbryda
Senior User
Oct 9, 2002, 10:52 AM

Downconvert on the fly when copying to memory based MP3 players. Ot at lease have the option.

I have a RIO with 96MB and it would be great to do this (downconvert from 128+k to 64K for the player) on the fly. The PC software that came with it (Real Jukebox) can do it, although it sucks in every other way!

LordJavac
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 07:21 PM

I'd like to see the return of hierarchical playlists (MIA since SoundJam). They were really helpful for grouping sub-series within a series (especially now that Audible.com is providing non-music content).

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2002, 04:26 AM

1. Better use of the context-menu (right click)
2. Group rename (or at least provide standard Applscripts to do this)

That's honestly about it for me. Other than that I find iTunes pretty damn near perfect. Sorry guys. I think iTunes rocks.

Perhaps I'd have some more if I had an iPod. But I'm waiting for the iPod with an integrated mic for taking notes while in the car.

Forum Links
Forum Rules