Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > slider: About that R8500 <-> GeForce2 MX thing

slider: About that R8500 <-> GeForce2 MX thing
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 09:04 AM

Hi...

Now based on your first impression(s), would you say it was worth it or not?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 02:45 PM

Kinda tough to tell, I guess I'm worried about steering you the wrong way. The comments in the other post here still hold. I believe there has been overall improvement, and the Oni game is the biggest improvement. Scrolling through the dock is much smoother, although there are times when I think there is some jumpiness, however I think this is the processor speed. My system
867 QS
>1GB of ram
Radeon 8500 64MB driving a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 73 @ 85Hz 1024 x 768 analog hookup.

Overall a much smoother feel, but not so much as to say "yes, you must get this card", if your gaming then there is an improvement. I don't know what kind of system you have, but for me my final answer is, yes, it's worth the upgrade, but I don't see $179 as a bad price. There is of course the sub $100 PC version that everyone is flashing, but it was more of a hassle for me, plus there seemed to be a few problems and so forth. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer, so I guess what I am saying is expect improvement, but don't expect to get blown away. One more thing, if you're running Jaguar, the drivers are built into the OS so don't load them despite what the pink card says, you'll just keep getting that "older driver" message at start up. If there is something specific you want my to try let my know.

slider

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 11, 2002, 03:17 PM

take it to PM...
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
take it to PM...
What?

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 10:19 AM

Played Oni again last night without a million other programs running, smooth as silk. Don't know if I mentioned this before, but with the GeForce2MX, the game would just freeze and I had to force quit to get out of it. Kinda feeling my way through the dark there.

Rabid Duck
Oct 13, 2002, 03:41 PM

slider, you don't happen to have played WC3 on both cards, have you? On my G4/733 w/ Geforce2MX it's pretty much unplayable, especially when you get lots of units on the screen at the same time. I'm just wondering if upgrading to the 8500 would help...

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Rabid Duck:
slider, you don't happen to have played WC3 on both cards, have you? On my G4/733 w/ Geforce2MX it's pretty much unplayable, especially when you get lots of units on the screen at the same time. I'm just wondering if upgrading to the 8500 would help...
It definitely will.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 06:17 PM

Actually, I am not a big gamer, Oni is the only game I play and it's more to take a break from my school work. I'm still only on level three, but this was unplayable with the other card. So no I don't have experience with the WC3, but based on my experience with Oni, it would have to help. The GeForce2MX just is not a gaming card. For my I suppose there was more of an annoyance that I had with overall interface, I think the 8500 has corrected this. That really one of the points to get PM in the first place, upgradeability and update-ability. R-Duck, I think this upgrade is for you. And D'Espice, you're probably right not to upgrade, the MX is functional.

iownacube
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2002, 01:30 AM

warcraft3 on your g4 733 with a geforce2mx is unplayable? I find that really hard to believe....you probably just have it running too high a resolution with too many quality settings, try turning some stuff down - warcraft3 runs on my cube with ati rage pro card, now THAT is unplayable at 640x480 with everything off and/or turned down to its lowest settings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules