Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A moderator's question?

A moderator's question?
kaceygones
Senior User
Oct 15, 2002, 06:34 AM

I'm a moderator on another forum and I really need some help!

We have a member there that is totally oblivious to the rest of the forum world. He posts new threads every time he has anything to say! In 30 days, he's gotten over 100 posts in almost as many new threads all practically about the same thing.

The rest of us have tried to invite him to join our other threads and be a part of the board, but he continues to ignor our requests and keeps posting the same things.

My problem is that he hasn't broken any rules.
He doesn't curse and he's not flaming anyone.
He's just annoying.

I fear banning him would just provoke him to create another screen name and get worse, but is there anything we can do?
kacey

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 08:01 AM

Well, my personal adivce would be to be frank with him/her. Private message him/her basically saying: "hi, you seem nice, but please refrain from posting new topics all the time. A few members have brought this to my attention, I'm not asking you to go away, just back off with the large numbers of new threads. You'll find people will respect you more if you post in moderation. Just thought you'd like to know"

Or something along those lines... Probably just a kid, don't want to knock his unlimited enthusiasm _too_ much

Jeremy

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2002, 09:17 AM

PurpleGiant's advice is good, assuming you have some way of contacting him off-board.

Assuming that doesn't work, does this board keep track of post counts, by any chance? It's possible that the guy is getting a little post-horny. If that's the case, decreasing his post count should do the trick. You'd have to talk to someone with full administrative access (and, preferably, direct access to the database) in order to accomplish this, but it can be done.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 09:22 AM

Private Messages won't help, I'm moderating one of the biggest german Hardware Boards. The way we deal with people like him (we had tons of that) is to sort of "scare" them.

PM won't help, most people ignore that anyway. Write him an E-Mail, gently explaining WHY you are writing this E-Mail and that you have rules and that you do not want him to start those new threads anymore or otherwise he will be kicked out of the community.
If he does not respond or continues like that, kick him for like a week or two and don't forget to write the mail that he has been kicked (don't tell him it's temporary) because of the way he behaved and the way he ignored your requests, and that he should think about what he did and come back in about a week if he's really interested in joining the community again.

That worked perfect for us, everytime. And since we now have like 10.000 users, there are plenty of users acting like that. Those people don't speak any other language than kicking and banning, rules are rules. Imagine if everybody would be behaving like him...

PS: Did I get that right? You've already tried to contact him repeatedly, havn't you?
( Last edited by D'Espice; Oct 15, 2002 at 09:28 AM. )
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
PurpleGiant's advice is good, assuming you have some way of contacting him off-board.

Assuming that doesn't work, does this board keep track of post counts, by any chance? It's possible that the guy is getting a little post-horny. If that's the case, decreasing his post count should do the trick. You'd have to talk to someone with full administrative access (and, preferably, direct access to the database) in order to accomplish this, but it can be done.
The counter is increased with every post you make, whether it's a new topic or an already existing one doesn't matter, at all.
What I'm trying to say is, that he's probably not post-horny, those kinda members post whatever they want, mostly only Smilies or stuff, just to increase their counter. Mostly they don't start new topics that often.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2002, 10:12 AM

Don't do anything.

It's just a message board.

kaceygones  (op)
Senior User
Oct 15, 2002, 05:23 PM

We've tried all of the above...

I've sent private messages, I've sent emails, I've posted replies to his threads and while he has cut down (a little) he still posts the same thing no matter what the topic is and then apologizes for not listening to our pleas.

We've also tried ignoring him and he just keeps coming back.
It's extremely frustrating.
kacey

hayesk
Oct 15, 2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by kaceygones:
We've tried all of the above...

I've sent private messages, I've sent emails, I've posted replies to his threads and while he has cut down (a little) he still posts the same thing no matter what the topic is and then apologizes for not listening to our pleas.

We've also tried ignoring him and he just keeps coming back.
It's extremely frustrating.
kacey
I would disable his login for a week. Send him an email, or private message beforehand telling him so. If he continues, do it for another week or two.

pixelghetto
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Don't do anything.

It's just a message board.
NO MAN, YOU JUST DON'T SEE! It is life, there is no spoon!!!!!!
Bork bork bork.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Oct 15, 2002, 07:09 PM

it would be funny if you permantly loked his sdig to say jack ass

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Oct 15, 2002, 07:10 PM

damn i just clicked it again cant help it.

kaceygones  (op)
Senior User
Oct 16, 2002, 06:48 AM

Thanks everyone for all your help.
He's been okay for the last day or two.
Maybe, he's getting the hint.

Let's hope.
kacey

P.S. Speaking of signatures MacMan,
your's is pretty nasty. What gives?

Forum Links
Forum Rules