Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you attached to your computer at work?

Are you attached to your computer at work?
starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2002, 09:58 AM

We're moving to new digs this week, and I have to pack up my Mac and my PC. It's odd...I don't like anyone touching it. I even bought my own upgrades for it (Firewire for my PC, memory for my Mac and PC). Anyone else treat their work computer like their own?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

pixelghetto
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2002, 10:06 AM

No, as it sucks a$$ and is crap! Did put my own memory in it, but that's because they wouldn't buy me any! Its a PC if you hasn't guessed.
Bork bork bork.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 23, 2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by pixelghetto:
No, as it sucks a$$ and is crap! Did put my own memory in it, but that's because they wouldn't buy me any! Its a PC if you hasn't guessed.
i wasn't really attached to it either, stuipd thing used to crash all the time! i used to run home and hug my iMac

(we used to work in the same place)
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2002, 10:32 AM

Nope, two PCs...with barely adaquate memory and hard drive space to do what I need them to.

MS Access "Disk Full" and "Insufficient Memory" errors make me ANGRY

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 10:36 AM

i hate the .dll and .bat files stuff

thing is i call me self a pro and i cant get rid of this crap. i tried eveything and it just takes too much time to get rid of. i just hope when somebody important is at my comp...it doesn't happen

or bring in my own tibook when work is important
snappy

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Anyone else treat their work computer like their own?
Yeah, because it IS my own.
The laptop provided by work was so bad that it was barely able to run the Oracle apps I use all day everyday. Nevermind running excel and IE at the same time!
Finally I got so sick of it, that I spent $1,600 of my money and built a work machine capable of doing the things I ask it to do.

Since it is the fastest thing in the building, all my team members use it as their server and backup their drives to mine.

The annoying thing is that IT doesn't like this, and has pressured my boss to put me back on a company machine. He wants me to do it, and I can't seem to convince him that a faster machine makes a difference.
Even if they managed to find a machine as fast as this one, I don't think I could ever go back to a single monitor.

Besides, what the hell would I do with this machine if I took it home?? I don't need a PC infecting the place where I live!!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2002, 11:07 AM

My work Mac is my home Mac. Even when I was still working for other people I always used my own PowerBook rather than a machine given to me. Thankfully the IT guy did the same and got me all the upgrades I could ask for on the company.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 03:01 PM

definately not attached to mine, an IBM laptop/NT.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2002, 03:05 PM

Same here. It's some beige Dell desktop with NT. No attachment at all.

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 03:18 PM

Absolute sang froid on my part. A Dell running Windows 2000. It gets the job done, but I feel no attachment at all to it...unlike my TiBook, which I bring to work every day and use whenever I get half a chance.

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2002, 03:19 PM

I have a Mac at work, and I treat it like it's my own. I clean it, I check for upgrades all the time... I don't like it when the computer people touch it (looking for serial numbers etc.)

It's very strange...

denim
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 03:56 PM

No. I can't do what I want with it, though the new Intel-based machine is very sweet for what it is. A "Pogo" 2.53GHz system with a GeForce Ti4400 and CD-RW (possibly DVD-R!) drive and 60GB disk, as well as 1GB of RAM. The thing should be in the server room, doing production work, but it's in my cube running Linux and whatever I want it to do. With a ViewSonic 18" LCD display.

If I had my druthers, it'd be running the Linux version of UT 2K3!
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2002, 04:15 PM

nope. not particularly. P4 IBM NetVista somethingoranother running windows 2000, fancy 17" NEC MultiSync LCD monitor.

i have it customized to my likings and whatnot, but im not particularly attached to it.

boardsurfer
Oct 23, 2002, 05:01 PM

Pfft, yeah right. A PIII 500/128/6GB, Oh how I loath thee. The monitor is nice though, Viewsonic flatscreen CRT. Man I hate this thing.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2002, 05:47 PM

Wow, what amazes me most is how many people here use PCs at work.

Anyhow, yeah, since my outlook is; if I'm going to spend a lot of time in some office other than my home, I may as well treat it like a home away from home.

Therefore my office machines I consider mine. IT only delivers them to my office and drops them off when I get new ones- I set them up, I maintain them, I install everything on them, I do my own 'tech support'. PCs I use, I bring in myself. IT maintains the work network, but I set up my own devices on it at will. (IE: wireless router I just put in for my TiBook).

IT actually likes it this way (why shouldn't they? They can go pretend to do work on other people's machines and leave my dept alone) I usually get a new generation of machines before anyone else in my dept., I break the things in, do a bit of troubleshooting and give the thumbs up to the entire upgrade dept-wide. I break-in virtually every new piece of software; usually I just order it, install it, and then if it meets our needs request that the entire dept. adopt it.

Not only do I like IT to hands-off my own equipment, I prefer they hands-off the entire dept I work in. None of this is part of my job description, I just like it that way, (they do too) and things have sort of evolved this way.

Mainly If I waited for IT people to do any of this, we'd all still be using 9600's with OS 9.1 or something. Once I requested IT upgrade a pro quality sheet fed scanner that I needed- I waited like 3 months while they hemmed and hawed over which to get. I learned from that lesson; just get what I need myself. I can't wait around for 'IT time'- 10x slower than real-time- to pass before anything to do with my work machines gets done.

I had OSX on my machine for at least a year before anyone else in the entire company was using OSX except for the server version. I was prowling around our company network with the only machine using Jaguar, because I just went and got it and installed it myself, then upgraded all the machines in my dept. with it. As we speak, the only people using OSX here (about 50 out of 300 or more) are doing so because I ordered and installed it for them. Most are still using OS9.

When all is said and done, I usually buy my 'old' work Macs from the property manager after I upgrade to new ones. Subsequently, I'm using my recently purchased 'older' G4 733 at home, rather than have it recycled somewhere in the company. I'll buy my current G4 867 around next April or so for a steal. I've done this since I bought my 8600/250's from them years ago.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2002, 06:56 PM

I'm impressed by how many of us -- when saddled with a POS PC at work -- solve the problem by bringing in our personal Macs. That's a great form of evangilism!

I do it, too. I've got a very elderly, crappy Micron at work, and so my iBook has been accompanying me into the office more and more lately. It makes my work day much, much happier ... and it puzzles and concerns my coworkers, which is another plus!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2002, 07:01 PM

My work machine is an iBook, and I'd better use it, as it's supplied by Apple, which I work for!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules