Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS 10.2.2

OS 10.2.2
ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2002, 02:24 PM

Does anyone have an idea when the new 10.2.2 update is coming out? I was under the impression it was early this month, I'm getting kinda anxious...

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2002, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Does anyone have an idea when the new 10.2.2 update is coming out? I was under the impression it was early this month, I'm getting kinda anxious...
Well, considering that it's only the 3rd (and a Sunday, meaning that 2/3 of the month has fallen on a weekend when the engineers are at home), I'd say your anxiety may be just a smidgen premature.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2002, 03:56 PM

It is coming out on November 6th at 3:47pm.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:

Sorry, your source is incorrect. It's not being released until 4:19pm (EDT)

zcasper
Nov 3, 2002, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by pahroza:

Sorry, your source is incorrect. It's not being released until 4:19pm (EDT)
Didn't we go back to standard time? Therefore it will be released at 3:19 EST.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:

Wow. That was a *snappy* answer.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2002, 10:01 PM

My sources say that Apple will skip 10.2.2 altogeter and release MacOS X 10.2.95 or 10.2.xp later this week.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2002, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
My sources say that Apple will skip 10.2.2 altogeter and release MacOS X 10.2.95 or 10.2.xp later this week.
or 10.2.2002?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2002, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:

Well, considering that it's only the 3rd (and a Sunday, meaning that 2/3 of the month has fallen on a weekend when the engineers are at home), I'd say your anxiety may be just a smidgen premature.
Only the 3rd? Rumor had it's release last week, I think that's why he's asking where it's at.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2002, 03:18 AM

Think it'll be snappy? Think they've solved that debug code problem?

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 04:03 AM

Dude, sit at your Software Update Control Panel hitting the "update now" button. It will find 10.2.2 soon enough.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2002, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

Dude, sit at your Software Update Control Panel hitting the "update now" button. It will find 10.2.2 soon enough.
I certainly hope so. I can't wait to install it and begin to bitch about the FTP bug being still there unfixed!

TC
Senior User
Nov 4, 2002, 09:17 AM

My money is on Thursday for the update, I feel it in my water.

Oh and since I just ordered an iPod to get it for my birthday on Friday I also guarentee a new device which I wonļæ½t be able to afford and would have been much more useful for me than an iPod.
Nothing to see, move along.

Cipher13
Nov 4, 2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Think it'll be snappy? Think they've solved that debug code problem?
You have to get the secret build floating around with it all turned off.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:13 AM

Rumor says they might even remove some of the debug code for speed

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 12:29 AM

Wednesday or Thursday hopefully.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2002, 12:51 AM

Actually, if you're tired of waiting for Apple to release 10.2.2, I am working on an app right now which will tremendiously speed up OS X. Apple just isn't making it happen so I decided it's time for someone to stand up and take a chance. If anyone is interested in being a beta tester for this app, let me know.

I'll let you in on the secret (as it's freeware anyway). It ingeniously goes through all data in the system setting the 1 bits to 0 bits. This allows the processor to very accurately guess the next instruction and it's result which, in turn, increases speed 100 fold.

It works very well on my beige G3 in which boot time has been reduced to 3.2 seconds (from chime). Included is a simplified user interface with just one icon. This is a secret hidden icon Apple included that I was able to use. When you have mail, it blinks. If you get a message in iChat, it blinks. If you move the mouse, it blinks. If you click, it blinks. In fact, even if you let it sit, it blinks. It's great as a screensaver. I use it all the time. I've never been more productive.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Actually, if you're tired of waiting for Apple to release 10.2.2, I am working on an app right now which will tremendiously speed up OS X. Apple just isn't making it happen so I decided it's time for someone to stand up and take a chance. If anyone is interested in being a beta tester for this app, let me know.

I'll let you in on the secret (as it's freeware anyway). It ingeniously goes through all data in the system setting the 1 bits to 0 bits. This allows the processor to very accurately guess the next instruction and it's result which, in turn, increases speed 100 fold.

It works very well on my beige G3 in which boot time has been reduced to 3.2 seconds (from chime). Included is a simplified user interface with just one icon. This is a secret hidden icon Apple included that I was able to use. When you have mail, it blinks. If you get a message in iChat, it blinks. If you move the mouse, it blinks. If you click, it blinks. In fact, even if you let it sit, it blinks. It's great as a screensaver. I use it all the time. I've never been more productive.
I'll beta test

chris_h
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 01:33 AM

Charad you are, Xeo! I have finished a version of the very software you were intent to create... in fact, I sold it to apple and they've already seeded it as a "silent software update" meaning you all already have it.

You can turn it on early (before the 10.2.2 release tomorrow) by typing <command deleted> in the terminal.

I'm the cļæ½ck of the walk!

[xeo: Note, my joke obviously pointed to "erasing your hard drive" as speeding it up but I did not post the command because it's dangerous and you can never be sure what people new to UNIX might do. By including the command, you take the fun out of it by potentially ruining someone's data]
( Last edited by Xeo; Nov 5, 2002 at 09:13 PM. )

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I'll beta test
Beta shmeta. I'm downloading it from Hotline right now. I just hope CABF02 is the latest build, cause that's the one I have.

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:
Charad you are, Xeo! I have finished a version of the very software you were intent to create... in fact, I sold it to apple and they've already seeded it as a "silent software update" meaning you all already have it.

You can turn it on early (before the 10.2.2 release tomorrow) by typing <command deleted> in the terminal.

doesn't this command delete everything?
( Last edited by Xeo; Nov 6, 2002 at 04:05 AM. )
- Ravi

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by raviruddarraju:
doesn't this command delete everything?
Yes. It's not a very funny joke.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2002, 06:49 PM

No, dude, that turns the debug code off.

You're so evil.
( Last edited by Xeo; Nov 6, 2002 at 04:06 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2002, 07:11 PM

That was SO evil Chris!

Nice one

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 09:00 PM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2002, 09:06 PM

Dude, please edit that out of your post. It's not funny and will probably cause someone to hose their hard drive.

For anyone reading this that doesn't know - the command Chris posted will delete every single file on every hard disk, removable disk, and server that you have currently mounted. Whatever you do, don't run it.

btw, abuse link clicked.

Charles

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2002, 09:12 PM

Agreed, novice users will see that and be like "oh boy, awesome" and try to pull that off...not cool man.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2002, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
For anyone reading this that doesn't know - the command Chris posted will delete every single file on every hard disk, removable disk, and server that you have currently mounted. Whatever you do, don't run it.
I removed it because, as you say, that's over the line. However, I don't think it can delete *everything* on a mounted server, can it? I think it could only delete the items ther user you logged in as could delete. In most every case it will still be extremely painful.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I removed it because, as you say, that's over the line. However, I don't think it can delete *everything* on a mounted server, can it? I think it could only delete the items ther user you logged in as could delete. In most every case it will still be extremely painful.
What about the other posts that command shows up in, in this thread from replies?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2002, 09:48 PM

What about the other posts that command shows up in, in this thread from replies?

I think they give the command away as being malicious. Even to the novice user. Now the lobotomized user on the other hand...

The Dude
Banned
Nov 5, 2002, 10:04 PM

OH. MY. GOD.

CHRIS, DAMMIT! I just erased everything on my drive you *******!

You're so gunna pay for this...

I already have my lawyer, Leonard "J." Crabs, on the phone...

ryju  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 10:18 PM

Heh, glad I didn't try it. I had a feeling it was bad news.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 12:33 AM

alright, jeez, i thought it was blindingly obvious a joke.

I mean, selling software to apple that turns 1s to 0s? come on.

oh well

edit: this is offtopic but does anyone know of anything that'll let you open a .pkg file??

chris_h
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by The Dude:

You're so gunna pay for this...

boy, i'll lawyer the fļæ½ck outa you.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 01:06 AM

Thank for posting this chris; it will come in very handy if the FBI every shows up at my door.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

The Dude
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 02:53 AM

boy, i'll lawyer the fļæ½ck outa you.
girl, i'll fuck the lawyer outa you.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2002, 02:54 AM

I mean, selling software to apple that turns 1s to 0s? come on.

oh well

edit: this is offtopic but does anyone know of anything that'll let you open a .pkg file??
Pacifist will open .pkg's I believe.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

Thank for posting this chris; it will come in very handy if the FBI every shows up at my door.
No good I am afraid. Apparently you can even write random data
on the disk a few times and they can read the residual magnetism.

(I've just been reading `Secrets and Lies' by Bruce Schneier.)

Michael

chris_h
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 03:02 AM

Pacifist will open .pkg's I believe.

hmm... sounds interesting, where could I download that?

The Dude
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by mmurray:

Michael
Pfft. There's nothing a nice .454 can't erase. Or fire. Or the microwave. Or Windex.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2002, 04:04 AM

hmm... sounds interesting, where could I download that?
www.charlessoft.com I believe. Check out CharlesS sig.

TC
Senior User
Nov 6, 2002, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by The Dude:

Pfft. There's nothing a nice .454 can't erase. Or fire. Or the microwave. Or Windex.
Or Windows
Nothing to see, move along.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2002, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by TC:

Or Windows
LOL, and a true LOL too (doesn't happen that often )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2002, 04:12 AM

Blast! Got em now, though.

And chris_h, it was blindingly obvious that it was a joke, but only to those that get it. I had to remove it because it there are some people who don't. It's possible they might try it because they *want* to get it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2002, 04:30 AM

Y'know, even assuming that you are correct, and newbies can tell that it is a joke - a premise that I don't buy, but let's assume it to be true just for the sake of argument - how on earth can you know that a newbie that recognizes it as a joke will not get curious and want to know what the command actually does, expecting something good-natured and funny?

I guess this was meant to be a slam against me, or something...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

chris_h
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

I guess this was meant to be a slam against me, or something...
A good natured poke, actually... I rather like pacifist. I just think its funny how much you pimp it (not that I wouldn't, had I written it).

Lighten up guys... I think people are alot smarter than you give them credit for. Why does everyone hate Alanis Morrisette? At least, smart enough not to randomly see a unix command and open up a shell and run it/type their password, without looking at any context around the command whatsoever.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2002, 05:16 AM

A good natured poke, actually... I rather like pacifist. I just think its funny how much you pimp it (not that I wouldn't, had I written it).
Seems to me like the natural thing to do when someone asks a question like "Help! I hosed this file - how do I get the original back?"

Lighten up guys... I think people are alot smarter than you give them credit for. Why does everyone hate Alanis Morrisette? At least, smart enough not to randomly see a unix command and open up a shell and run it/type their password, without looking at any context around the command whatsoever.
I think that's assuming a bit too much. New users cannot be expected to know that the UNIX command line is dangerous. You have to remember - we know it, because we've been using this stuff for a while. But new users have no way to know they shouldn't do this, especially when someone's recommending they do so.

poocat
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 06:40 AM

chris, i'm right here with you.
i don't know crud about what it's gonna do,
but there's no way i'm running it,

because

a)you wrote it.

b)that would be dumb.

c)it was a joke.

so...

heck.
chill.

chill.

chill.

and charles, your software is dope, but have you ever thought about NOT pimping it in your EIGHTH POST in the same thread? i'm one of those people who thinks that limiting sigs to the first time you post to a thread is a GOOD thing...

poocat.

step
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by mmurray:

Michael
too bad they don't use Norton: "sorry sir, we'll have to let him go, all we found was thirty two thousand 0k files, and one humongous mp3"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
chris, i'm right here with you.
i don't know crud about what it's gonna do,
but there's no way i'm running it,

because

a)you wrote it.

b)that would be dumb.

c)it was a joke.

so...

heck.
chill.

chill.

chill.
Yes, but as I said, there is a decent chance that although you might not run it, someone else might still do it. And if that happens, telling that person to "chill" probably won't do much good if they have to spend days getting their system, apps, etc. all back to the way they were and, on top of that, they have lost all their work which hasn't been backed up yet, possibly causing them to lose their job or fail an assignment.

Seriously, if we have to have a nasty prank command line to make people run, how about sudo shutdown -h now instead? It still does something unexpected, and it still makes them lose unsaved work, but at least it doesn't wipe their whole frigging hard drive! Would you accept that as a compromise?

and charles, your software is dope, but have you ever thought about NOT pimping it in your EIGHTH POST in the same thread? i'm one of those people who thinks that limiting sigs to the first time you post to a thread is a GOOD thing...

poocat.
Last time I checked, others in the same forum (I can think of moki and Diggory Laycock right off the top of my head) promote their software in their sigs. I fail to see why people that complain because they want to have a sig image the size of the Hoover Dam could get offended by my signature, which is all-text, for crying out loud. At any rate, if there's a problem with my signature, I'll accept correction from a moderator, but not just some overly argumentative person on a message board. So if you really have a problem, why not just go click on the "Report Abuse" link and let the moderators decide what to do about it. Don't forget to go after moki also.

I think this thread's about ready to be locked.

Charles
( Last edited by CharlesS; Nov 6, 2002 at 12:46 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules