Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > G4 Cube won't boot anymore after installing Beachball

G4 Cube won't boot anymore after installing Beachball
pabloEskimo
Nov 13, 2002, 05:37 AM

Hi,

Yesterday I installed OS X 10.2.2 without any problems. I decided to install the latest version of Beachball to modify the spinning rainbow... no problems so far.

I open Disk Utility to fix the permissions on the drive, there i saw that the were some permission errors with the Core Graphics file and some others. Everything got fixed. I try to open Entourage to check my mail, one bounce and Entourage closed. opened it again and bang, kernal pannic.

I restart the Cube, login, try to open Chimera... "The application has unexpectedly quit." and the Chimera crash reporter opens...

Then I decided to reset Beachball to the default settings, no problems with that.

I try to logout to see if I got the default spinning rainbow again, but i could not logout. So i restart the computer and all i get is the gray startupscreen with the apple logo and the spinning icon. After 10 minutes, still no login screen.

I restarted with command-s and typed "fsck"
here are the results:

** checking catalog file
missing thread record (id=460436)
** checking catalog hierarchie
invalid directory item count (should be 11 instead of 10)
invalid vulume file count (should be 141507 instead of 141908)
** checking volume information
file count (should be 141908 instead of 141906)
** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED **

Does someone now what i can do to get my Cube back? There also seems to be a problem when restarting with the Jaguar cd... I hear de cd spinning and after a while, it does nothing anymore, the same grey startupscreen with the Apple logo.

Maybe it's the Core Graphics file (there should be a backup file that Blobber made a while ago and that Beachball chose to use as backup Core Graphics file).

Please help me!

thanx,
pabloEskimo
Belgium

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 07:51 AM

Make sure you continue to run fsck until you get a message that the Cube appears OK. Sometimes it takes several passes to correct all problems.

pabloEskimo  (op)
Nov 13, 2002, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by GRAFF:
Make sure you continue to run fsck until you get a message that the Cube appears OK. Sometimes it takes several passes to correct all problems.
Thanx, I will try that when I'm back at home. I maybe found a solution in the Beachball FAQ, I will try that as well tonight...

In the FAQ there's no mention of the Blobber backup file that Beachball has automaticaly chosen as backup file... I hope it'll work

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2002, 10:23 AM

Sorry, I just couldn't resist posting the first thing that popped into my mind:

"Won't boot after installing beachball...hm. Well, might I suggest that you stop stuffing random beach apparati into your Mac?"

It seemed funny to me, at the time.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules