Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti SuperDrive Ship Date

Ti SuperDrive Ship Date (Page 4)
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2002, 12:12 PM

I guess I cancelled my Apple order just in time. Just in time assuming I actually get one of the above orders locally out of the first batch these guys receive. (I ordered at the same time you did as you know.) If not I'll be kicking myself.

Here's hoping for mid-next week. [/B]
Hope you get yours ASAP as well!!! Cheers!!

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 12:43 PM

THE POWERBOOK SHIPPED German order, SuperDrive, just thought I'd let you know.
Soylent green is people.

sunkist
Banned
Nov 22, 2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by TobyX:
THE POWERBOOK SHIPPED German order, SuperDrive, just thought I'd let you know.
When did you order, where did you order from, and exactly when did it ship?

-Chris

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by sunkist:
When did you order, where did you order from, and exactly when did it ship?
On November 6th about 1 1/2 h after the release. My loan was approved on the 16th, ten days later. It was the European German Apple Store and the SuperDrive PowerBook including AppleCare, Mobility Pack, AirPort Base, Office v.X and a Nikon Coolpix 2500.

I got a shipping confirmation from an Apple Store representative at about 5 pm German time today (22nd), the automated shipping notice was generated 25 minutes later.

I have yet to determine if it is on its way from Taiwan or already in Luxembourg and now on its way to me.
Soylent green is people.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2002, 06:18 PM

Has Apple shipped alot of them yet???
I know that i should read the previous pages, But... I am too lazy!
I know there are now many online retailers with them in stock.
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

earthkuei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 06:20 PM

If any of you who are still looking for a place to buy a powerbook 1GHz with SD, I just called up Macwareshouse.com and they have it in stock. The actual sale price is $2905 and it comes with a 128MB mini usb drive. It also comes with the targus bag with the rebate and printer. I had it shipped overnight to me and I'll be receiving it tomorrow. So, in total, I paid $2970.83 and I will have my PB by tomorrow. Give them a call if you're interested.

earthkuei

p.s. the only drawback is that they don't provide the double the RAM promotion. oh well. i guess i can't have everything.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2002, 07:41 PM

That sounds like a great deal earthkuei!

I'm going to pick up a powerbook tomorrow at the local Apple Store. I've never been in one so it will be really fun.

jjokerski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2002, 07:13 PM

It's still in the airport in Taiwan.

I had called Apple on Tuesday and was told that it would ship the 2nd week of December. So, following the idea in this thread, I called the closest Apple retail store (2 hours away) and asked if they had any. They said there were 7 people on the waiting list but they expected 10 more within a week. They were going to give me the Academic price, double RAM promotion, but charge me $30 for installation of the RAM. They wouldn't let me install it.

I figured a week was better than the 3 I'd wait for my online delivery, so I got added to the waiting list.

Friday morning at 9am I got an email that my new Powerbook shipped. At 10am the retail store called, and told me they had them in. I had to pass because it was too late to cancel my online order.

I'm obsessively checking the FedEx tracking page. I'm hoping it gets here by Thanksgiving.

rusti999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2002, 08:17 PM

Model: PB 1GhZ Superdrive

First order: online Apple Store on 11/7

Seeing how people who submitted an Apple Store Web order earlier than me (11/6) were still waiting, and seeing that distributors are starting to stock the PBs, on 11/21 I decided to cancel my Apple Store order and try my luck with one of the distributors.

Second order: MacConnection on 11/22 1am PST (status "Call for Availability")

On 11/23 4pm PST, I checked the order status at MacConnection, and to my surprise, the order is complete. It's now in Ohio and I should get it on Monday (overnight shipping for only $30). Sweet! And I save over $200 for the sales tax!

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 12:59 AM

My friend just came back from Compusa in Santa Barbara, CA (out in the middle of nowhere) and he reported that they had a superdrive powerbook out for people to play and buy! #@@#%!!#$!@#!%#$

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by jjokerski:
It's still in the airport in Taiwan.

I had called Apple on Tuesday and was told that it would ship the 2nd week of December. So, following the idea in this thread, I called the closest Apple retail store (2 hours away) and asked if they had any. They said there were 7 people on the waiting list but they expected 10 more within a week. They were going to give me the Academic price, double RAM promotion, but charge me $30 for installation of the RAM. They wouldn't let me install it.

I figured a week was better than the 3 I'd wait for my online delivery, so I got added to the waiting list.

Friday morning at 9am I got an email that my new Powerbook shipped. At 10am the retail store called, and told me they had them in. I had to pass because it was too late to cancel my online order.

I'm obsessively checking the FedEx tracking page. I'm hoping it gets here by Thanksgiving.
Man... this sucks... I am sorry... Best of luck!!!
I frequently read back here to see who has gotten theirs
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2002, 09:41 AM

I'm still waiting. I wish Apple would at send out notices on when to expect delivery. But I come back here frequently. Everytime I see someone has pick one up and canceled their Apple On-line store order I get happy, that means mine has moved up in the line. The only Apple dealer I got is a Compusa and they have them, but won't sell them until they clear out the old models. I was so pissed at that manager, what a bunch of bull.
"This is fun, right?"

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by IonCable:
The only Apple dealer I got is a Compusa and they have them, but won't sell them until they clear out the old models. I was so pissed at that manager, what a bunch of bull.
This is the point at which you send a letter to CompUSA's headquarters, explaining why they just lost a $3000 sale..

Dr. No
Nov 24, 2002, 11:04 AM

Hey Gang!

Yes, I was one of the late ones, not getting my order in until the 7th...sigh....still "being assembled".....

Has anyone with a G4 Superdrive on order (from the 7th or later) gotten a shipping notice from the Apple Store yet???

Thanks

D.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2002, 12:55 PM

Hi all,

I was going to buy a PB667 a couple of months ago, but thanks to this board I held off.

I ordered my SD pb the day after they were released, from Macmall. They were offering the same double the ram promotion as apple, but I wouldn't have to pay tax, so saved about $300.

After being as patient as I could I waited until thursday, and then phoned them. They told me there was a waiting list of 380 and that they expected stock on Nov 30th.

Then on Friday afternoon, the nice man from Fedex turned up on my doorstep with a big parcel.

I am now a very, very happy boy, and trying to get used to a mac again after many years in the pc wilderness ( I originally had a pb100 and 145 when they first came out)

This machine rocks, and so do the people on this board for helping me wait and get a much better deal.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2002, 01:03 PM

Hi all,

I was going to buy a PB667 a couple of months ago, but thanks to this board I held off.

I ordered my SD pb the day after they were released, from Macmall. They were offering the same double the ram promotion as apple, but I wouldn't have to pay tax, so saved about $300.

After being as patient as I could I waited until thursday, and then phoned them. They told me there was a waiting list of 380 and that they expected stock on Nov 30th.

Then on Friday afternoon, the nice man from Fedex turned up on my doorstep with a big parcel.

I am now a very, very happy boy, and trying to get used to a mac again after many years in the pc wilderness ( I originally had a pb100 and 145 when they first came out)

This machine rocks, and so do the people on this board for helping me wait and get a much better deal.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Holy Zoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 01:55 PM

Ok... here we go:

Ordered 11/6 @ 10am Pacific.

It shipped from Taiwan 11/20, and arrived 11/22.

Here's the FedEx ship log (Soquel is right next to Santa Cruz, which is about 80 miles south of San Francisco):

Code:
Delivered SOQUEL CA 11/22/2002 11:55 On FedEx vehicle for deliverySOQUEL CA 11/22/2002 08:24 Arrived at FedEx Destination LocationSOQUEL CA 11/22/2002 08:09 Arrived at Sort FacilityOAKLAND CA 11/22/2002 05:05 Left FedEx Sort FacilityINDIANAPOLIS IN 11/22/2002 04:39 Arrived at Sort FacilityINDIANAPOLIS IN 11/22/2002 01:39 Left FedEx RampC.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/21/2002 20:03 Left FedEx Sort FacilityANCHORAGE AK 11/21/2002 16:00 Package statusC.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/20/2002 21:03 Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/20/2002 15:53 Left FedEx Origin LocationTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/20/2002 11:46 Picked up by FedExTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/20/2002 11:35
So 48 hours from Taiwan to delivery! Very impressive FedEx!

Note the amusing "arrived in Alaska before it left Taiwan" order because of the timezone differene between AK and TW.

And yes, I'm in heaven! This monster is wickedly fast. It's replacing a 500mhz snow ibook, and it's like night and day. On the ibook having two large apps open (say, Photoshop and Dreamweaver) would cause everything else to slow down dramatically). On the PB I can have *every* app I use regularly open, with no noticable slowdown at all. Indeed, with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Peak, iCal, Chimera, DropDrawers, iPulse, iChat, iTunes, Preview, and even a couple Java apps open, everything's fine and humming along! I am so thrilled. This is one awsome machine!
( Last edited by Holy Zoo; Nov 24, 2002 at 02:04 PM. )

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Dr. No:
Hey Gang!

Yes, I was one of the late ones, not getting my order in until the 7th...sigh....still "being assembled".....

Has anyone with a G4 Superdrive on order (from the 7th or later) gotten a shipping notice from the Apple Store yet???

Thanks

D.
I doubt it since mine was ordered in the afternoon on the 6th and still is Being Assembled.

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 05:20 PM

I ordered in the afternoon on Nov 6th, it shipped on Friday.

Once we found out how Apple sets priorities on these orders, we can consider ourselves lucky

Good luck to everyone.
Soylent green is people.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2002, 05:36 PM

You are going to love your new powerbooks!

I picked up a gigahertz model in my local apple store yesterday, and its fantastic. Super duper fantastic!!!

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by TobyX:
Once we found out how Apple sets priorities on these orders, we can consider ourselves lucky
Is there a known priority system?

iBorg

sunkist
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 11:02 PM

Yea, the more successful your site is at selling almost NOTHING from the windows world, the more quicker and plentiful your shipments from Apple will be.

-Chris

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
I doubt it since mine was ordered in the afternoon on the 6th and still is Being Assembled.
I take that back! It shipped Exactly Monday 25th. 18-19 days, ordered on the 6th. I can't wait

sunkist
Banned
Nov 25, 2002, 01:53 AM

I take that back! It shipped Exactly Monday 25th. 18-19 days, ordered on the 6th. I can't wait
Not fair! I want mine, boo hiss :-P

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 02:35 AM

I ordered mine (1Ghz w/SD) just minutes after the launch on the 6th, but mine just shipped on the 22nd. I noticed many others have shipped prior to this. There must be some order preference.

It was an education order so maybe they have a lower priority. I know it was not a credit issue as the other parts of my order shipped almost immediately.

Should be here on the 24th or 25th. Good luck to everyone else. I will post impressions as soon as it arrives.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2002, 02:43 AM

i'm in the same boat as you synotic, i hope mine ships today too.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 02:59 AM

Model: 1-gigahertz TiBook with SuperDrive, 60-gigabyte hard drive, 1 gigabyte of memory
Accessories: AppleCare, $99 HP printer
Discount: Employee
Order date: November 15th, 2002
Order method: Apple Intranet
Order time: 5 o'clock in the afternoon (Pacific Standard Time)
Shipping Method: Standard
Current Order Status: Partially Shipped
Current Emotional State: Overspent yet underfulfilled...

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 06:24 AM

Model: GHz TiBook with SuperDrive, 60 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM
Accessories: Nikon Coolpix 2500 (EUR 129), Office v.X, AirPort Base, Mobility Pack, AppleCare
Discount: - 729 EUR in total
Order date: Nov 6th
Order method: Call to European Apple Store
Order time: 2 hours after release
Shipping Method: Insurance&Carriage Paid (free shipping, other options aren't available in Europe)
Current Order Status: Fully shipped, not arrived yet.
Current Emotional State: On hold.
Soylent green is people.

ivi
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:

Is there a known priority system?

iBorg
Yeah, You have to call them or send them an e-mail or smth. It seems like its like this in UK, doubt will be different in US.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2002, 09:34 AM

Excellent!

I was hoping when I checked the Forums today that I would see more shipping emails.

Hopefully it means my local stores will be getting some units very soon. I guess I'll be calling around this week.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Excellent!

I was hoping when I checked the Forums today that I would see more shipping emails.

Hopefully it means my local stores will be getting some units very soon. I guess I'll be calling around this week.
I thought you got the ADC discount... Isn't that why you didn't order from an online retailer?

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 25, 2002, 10:19 AM

Model: 1 GHz TiBook with SuperDrive, 60 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM
Accessories: Airport Base Station
Discount: Education
Order date: Wednesday, November 6
Order method: Campus computer store
Order time: 12:00 pm EST
Shipping Method: Standard
Current Order Status: Tuesday, December 10 estimated delivery
Current Emotional State: Whatever. It'll be worth the wait.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by claughery:

I thought you got the ADC discount... Isn't that why you didn't order from an online retailer?
I wouldn't have a clue how to develop software, and thus I'm not a developer. I'm not a computer geek by trade, just by hobby.

I can get the standard educational discount (non-ADC), since I am affiliated with a university. However, it turns out that Apple Canada only offers CAD$150 off (US$95) for this, and all the local stores offer the same price for full RETAIL. (Lots of competition locally here I guess.) So there's no benefit going with Apple's online store, esp. with extra shipping charges from Apple. However, my university computer store does offer an additional discount although often times it also means an additional wait.

Dr. No
Nov 25, 2002, 10:52 AM

Hey Gang!

Thanks

D.

Hey!! It SHIPPED today 11/25
On my frickin' birthday too! Is that great or what??

For those wondering, my order via website hit the Apple server at 4:52 pm PST on 11/7 for the Superdrive with 1 Gig of memory....

Can't wait...tracking info to follow...

Cheers everyone! (yes, he's flushed with anticipation of the new "toy"...you bet we don't get this excited over PC stuff for work now, do we??)

D.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2002, 11:59 AM

Happy Birthday Dr. No.

OK, checking back thru the posts it seems that the shipping times from Taiwan are 2-3 days (at least to California), not counting the extra half day because of the international date line.

Thus a few people should be getting their units today or tomorrow. If I don't get a call from my store by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to call them and pester them with questions.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2002, 01:09 PM

Happy Birthday Dr. No.

OK, checking back thru the posts it seems that the shipping times from Taiwan are 2-3 days (at least to California), not counting the extra half day because of the international date line.

Thus a few people should be getting their units today or tomorrow. If I don't get a call from my store by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to call them and pester them with questions.
Thats about right. Mine shipped on Friday, and it looks like I should be recieving it tomorrow, and that is going all the way to NJ. (Although it did say it left Alaska yesterday afternoon, and there has been no update since then.)

-Mark

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2002, 03:14 PM

Just to let you know... Alot of Compusa's have them in stock!
I went this morning and they had like 12 here...

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 03:21 PM

Hey!! It SHIPPED today 11/25
On my frickin' birthday too! Is that great or what??

For those wondering, my order via website hit the Apple server at 4:52 pm PST on 11/7 for the Superdrive with 1 Gig of memory....

Can't wait...tracking info to follow...

Cheers everyone! (yes, he's flushed with anticipation of the new "toy"...you bet we don't get this excited over PC stuff for work now, do we??)

D.
I think Apple should ship mine today. That is the only thing that could make this day better. I just failed (I think) a multivariable calc exam that I studied 15 hours for this weekend. God am I a loser or what.

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 03:55 PM

So I just called Apple to check my orderstatus. I ordered via ADC. First I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and they said that it would ship Dec 2-6 (with a possiblity of it shipping earlier). I asked about ADC, and he wasn't certain so he gave me the other ADC hardware number to call and check my order status (1-800-793-9378). The guy who answered said it would ship by the 19th of Dec! I asked if that was because ADC members get bumped to the back of the queue and said he didn't know.

This is so sad. The 19th!

gardles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 04:01 PM

I will be a new mac user soon! I just received my shipping confirmation from the Apple website and it shipped today. I ordered on the 7th, so special discounts, had to pay regular price. I had called them on Friday to make sure it would be here before Christmas and they said that it was to ship out the 2nd week of December. I had given up checking my order status the day before yesterday. Good thing, too. It's like waiting for water to boil! Just give up hope and here it comes!

Good Luck!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 04:15 PM

Happy Birthday Dr. No.

Do you know if Thanksgiving is under a holiday for them? :-/

So far it has left Taoyuan City, Arrived in Yuan Hsiang, and it has left the International Airport in Taiwain. This has been in a span of 7 hours.

z71offroad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 04:20 PM

I ordered my 1GHZ/1GB/superdrive Powerbook at 22:00 EST on 7 Nov. I finally got my shipment notice this morning, and it left Taiwan this afternoon. I can barely contain my excitement!! The only problem is that I will most likely not be home when it arrives (I am going to be in Boston visiting family for Thanksgiving). What does FedEx do if you are not there to sign for the package?! I am worried that they will leave my new Powerbook on my doorstep for days. Anyways, this is good news for the rest of you who ordered late on the 6th or 7th. You should probably be expecting yours soon.

Scan Activity Date/Time Comments

Left FedEx Origin LocationTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/25/2002 17:13

Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/25/2002 16:56 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/25/2002 15:06

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2002, 04:22 PM

Do you know if Thanksgiving is under a holiday for them? :-/

So far it has left Taoyuan City, Arrived in Yuan Hsiang, and it has left the International Airport in Taiwain. This has been in a span of 7 hours.
Our Thanksgiving is in October (Canada). The Taiwanese don't have a Thanksgiving.

I dunno where Canadian orders go. Do they go thru the US?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 05:57 PM

I just called Apple.

Since my order is being fulfilled as an "employee" purchase, I'm not going to get mine for another four or five weeks.

sd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I just called Apple.

Since my order is being fulfilled as an "employee" purchase, I'm not going to get mine for another four or five weeks.
Do you know if purchases through ADC also count as employee purchases? I ordered on Nov 6 @ 11 a.m. PST. I was orignally quoted a ship time before Dec 6, which was later changed to Dec 12. I wonder if it still applies.

sd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I just called Apple.

Do you know if purchases through ADC also count as employee purchases? I ordered on Nov 6 @ 11 a.m. PST. I was orignally quoted a ship time before Dec 6, which was later changed to Dec 12. I wonder if it still applies.

PurdueRPh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 07:06 PM

sd,
I ordered my SD Powerbook on 11-07-02.
I called ADC support today to ask for the status
of my order. The rep said everything got backed up
due to the lack of Superdrives. The rep said
everything is back up to speed though and shipments
are going out.
The rep also admitted to me that programmers are 2nd
in line for the powerbooks. The stores and the regular
orders are going to be fulfilled first.
The rep looked up my order, and stated that is slated to
be "released" on 12-19-02.

Joe
Hoosier by birth, Purdue Graduate and Mac lover by the Grace of God.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 07:17 PM

You can come to our CompUSA in Madison Heights, MI, and we'll sell you one, even with stock left on the old ones!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

jjokerski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 08:04 PM

FedEx, you're killin' me! My SuperDrive tracking status has been stuck on "Left FedEx Ramp in Anchorage, AK" for over a day now! Come on! I need this thing by Thanksgiving or I might explode!

I chose standard shipping to save money. I'm regretting that decision now! AGONY!

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2002, 09:29 PM

I called Apple today and asked about my SD Powerbook. They said shipping on 12-16. So I called MacWarehouse. They have them in stock (at least when I called) Ordered one and canceled my On-line store order. I'm losing the 1 gig ram promo, but I'm saving a bundle on tax, so I'm can use that savings on RAM. Apple really needs to work out this "waiting" at it's on-line store. I have never had an order go quickly. It's always been over a week.
"This is fun, right?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules