Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD G4 won't burn DVD-R at 2X

MDD G4 won't burn DVD-R at 2X
ollio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 02:14 PM

Hello,

I have a dual ghz MDD PM.
I have a friend who bought the same computer the same day.
We both have OS X 10.2.2 and Toast 5.1.1 installed.
We have exactly the same DVD-R media(sony).
I can only burn DVD-R data CD's at 1x speed.
he can burn at 2x speed.
What happened to my burner? I used to be able to burn at 2x speed also. What program(extension) could've broken this ability.?
I don't want to reinstall OS X completely just to be able to burn dvd's at 2x speed

please help thx

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2002, 03:41 PM

Call Apple Tech support. They will send you a new drive if yours is defective.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2002, 06:02 PM

Was there not a Firware update for these machines recently? Not sure if it addresses any DVD problems. Seems like I saw a DVD firmware update at some point in the recent past, too, but I forget what exactly it was for

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2002, 07:32 AM

something about some media can **** up the drive and destroy it. Not exactly sure.

dude try this patch and if that does not work call up apple. something is ****ed.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

CIA
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 01:48 PM

Be carefull about that update, I applied it to my Superdrive (the 103 version) and I can't burn DVD's anymore. It will still let me burn CD's, just not DVDs. It Spits 'em out partway through the burn process. The discs are still useable (I.e. They never actually got burned) but I'm stumped as to why. Look at this thread over in the digital A/V forum about this.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 11:02 PM

I had this issue (not right off that bat though). My drive was fine for several months, then started burning at 1x speed only.

Replaced drive and it was fine.

I have had a couple rare instances of a box of media that wouldn't burn at 2x. Try your friends media. If it only says 1x, get the drive replaced.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 12:27 PM

The firmware update Apple provides disables 2X burning if the media is 4X or greater. It may be mistaking your media for non-2x media, or it is just failing like previously said.

If you are under warranty and using Apple media, call Apple and get a new one.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules