Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > got a rotten apple sd tibook

got a rotten apple sd tibook
lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 01:14 PM

this is a sad and discouraging day. the sd tibook i got yesterday is full of problems the only time it worked was when i started it the first time. i then partitioned my drive as i always do, re installed osx, then attempted to install os 9 on the partition i made for it, and as i mentioned on a thread about that, the installer gets stuck after the software agreement and wont let me go any further. Hence i re installed osx three more times all to no avail.

the volume buttons on the keyboard didnt work, sound prefs wouldnt let me choose any alert sounds, they were all grayed out. when i tried to install an application on the unit the icon would get stuck in dock and wouldnt remove. some icons on the desktop were invisible in part of the image and had lines thru them.

on two of my restarts after the apple comes on i got a new symbol i never saw before which was a circle with a diagonal line thru it.

i deleted and reformated the hard drive, and tried to install osx again and now it crashes on restart.

what a mess.

apple says they will replace it and count it as a DOA and honor the replacement policy.

only thing is man, i sure hope they dont make me wait another four weeks to replace it.

we'll see. and with alot of prayer i'll get it soon i believe.

oh yeah one more thing. it has two lit pixels in the display as well. which wouldnt go away with massaging.

ack.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 01:23 PM

blech
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2002, 01:39 PM

My condolences. What a drag. Here's hoping you get the replacement quickly and get to enjoy the rush. Hang in there, man.

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 01:44 PM

Quote:
"...a new symbol i never saw before which was a circle with a diagonal line thru it...."

A WHAT??? A symbol like the one in your sig.?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 01:50 PM

yeah its a drag

and yeah euphras it was just like the circle and diagonal line in my sig-only the diagonal goes the other direction.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 01:51 PM

thanks for tryin to help me last nite issa.

l�k

Originally posted by issa:
My condolences. What a drag. Here's hoping you get the replacement quickly and get to enjoy the rush. Hang in there, man.
iron sharpens iron

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 01:53 PM

Hope you will get a new one soon...!

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 01:58 PM

me2 thanks

l�k

Originally posted by euphras:
Hope you will get a new one soon...!
iron sharpens iron

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2002, 02:05 PM

Is the RAM and Airport card properly seated? Does removing a stick (or the other) fix the problem?

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 02:30 PM

yeah i tried re installing the two 512's that i got as well as the 256 ones that it came with. its still messed up. as far as the airport card goes, i dont have the (looks like an allen wrench) to open the bottom of the case to check the airport card. as much probs as i'm havin with this straight out of the box, im not really interested in keeping it.

thanks tho Eug, the ram issue was the first thing that crossed my mind.

l�k

Originally posted by Eug:
Is the RAM and Airport card properly seated? Does removing a stick (or the other) fix the problem?
iron sharpens iron

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 06:36 PM

after i tried switching the ram out and it still didnt work , i just left it as it is, which is when u start up it gets to the apple and bombs- and the screen goes dark gray and asks to restart. no matter how many times you restart.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 06:47 PM

Will it boot from Cd?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Will it boot from Cd?
My first thought, as well - you've probably already tried it. Next, I'd try booting from Disk Warrior, the most important disk utility available for Mac users.

iBorg

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 10:30 PM

man... it doesn't sound like a hardware issue...
I really think that it might be a bad install dvd disk.
Did you think about that?
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2002, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by claughery:
man... it doesn't sound like a hardware issue...
I really think that it might be a bad install dvd disk.
Did you think about that?
Another good suggestion. Although it's far from flawless, you should try booting from your system DVD disk, and if that doesn't work, see if you can boot from someone else's (an Apple Store perhaps?) - If that works, run Apple's "Disk Utility," and if still having problems, I always run Disk Warrior, which has saved my bacon many, many times, when nothing else worked!

For hardware issues, does Apple include a hardware diagnostic on the software DVD? All recent Mac products shipped with a separate CD for this - maybe Ti still does. It's worth a try, also (although it's far from flawless in diagnosing hardware problems).

iBorg

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 11:43 PM

well honestly with as many problems as ive had out of the box with this, i have no desire to keep it. just gonna go for a replacement.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2002, 11:50 PM

I really feel for you. Just got my Ti w/SD tonight (typing on it right now) with no dead pixels and running like a champ. Here to a quick, and reliable replacement--I know how excited you must have been

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2002, 12:08 AM

i sure was even worse having it sitting here in the box until monday.

thanks for the empathy

l�k

Originally posted by remohomer:
I really feel for you. Just got my Ti w/SD tonight (typing on it right now) with no dead pixels and running like a champ. Here to a quick, and reliable replacement--I know how excited you must have been
iron sharpens iron

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 04:11 AM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Just think though, when you get it working, you'll have a SD and I only have the Combo Drive! Shoulda waited I suppose. GL!
Rev. D 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook
---------------------------------------
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4
WWDC 2004/2005 Student Attendee
---------------------------------------
Apple user for two.five years.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2002, 12:56 PM

Thanks man, i'll be real happy once i get this straightened out.

l�k

Originally posted by Melchizedek:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Just think though, when you get it working, you'll have a SD and I only have the Combo Drive! Shoulda waited I suppose. GL!
iron sharpens iron

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 02:36 PM

lokjah: I know how disappointing this type of situation can be; I've been there myself. Keep your spirits up, and enjoy your replacement when it arrives!

Happy Thanksgiving!

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2002, 06:48 PM

Thanks mj i hope they send it quickly.

you have a blessed thanksgiving too.

l�k

Originally posted by mjlukich:
lokjah: I know how disappointing this type of situation can be; I've been there myself. Keep your spirits up, and enjoy your replacement when it arrives!

Happy Thanksgiving!
iron sharpens iron

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2002, 10:22 PM

Ooh man that's a drag!! It is unfortunate that you have to go through that... it always hurts me to hear stories of Appple units having hardware problems when they're brand new (power supply, dead pixels, or foobared systems...)

I've never had an experience like that, though.

Good luck, man
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules