Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered my PB...

Just ordered my PB...
Tyrion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 07:59 AM

i was in two different apple stores and the guys there told me that the waiting time for in-store superdrive PBs was quite long (till february actually). so i just went to the apple website and ordered a ghz PB without superdrive - screw the "pre-buying dead pixel test". i want my PB now!

btw, this will be my first mac

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 09:02 AM

ah nice, it's already being assembled

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 11:48 AM

Congratulations on ordering a Powerbook, I'm sure you'll like it. Part of why your system is already being assembled is that you opted for the Combo drive; the killer on the delays is the Superdrive, and even then some people have Powerbooks with Superdrives already. I wouldn't expect any significan delays for any other config.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 12:01 PM

Congratulations! The fun has just begun. You'll know just what a good choice you made soon after you get that new PowerBook in your hands. And I hope that's *very* soon!

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 12:16 PM

duh, i didn't know that edu-prices were just for adults... i AM a student, but i'm not yet 18 years old... how can i change my edu order to a normal one?

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
Congratulations on ordering a Powerbook, I'm sure you'll like it. Part of why your system is already being assembled is that you opted for the Combo drive; the killer on the delays is the Superdrive, and even then some people have Powerbooks with Superdrives already. I wouldn't expect any significan delays for any other config.
Really? I was in an Apple Store last night, and if you had the cash, you could have brought home a Superdrive model right away. In fact, all four stores in the new york area (roosevelt field, the jersey store, palisades, and soho) all seem to have them in stock.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 12:20 PM

Congrats! You'll be the envy of your local Starbucks!

Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by riverfreak:

Really? I was in an Apple Store last night, and if you had the cash, you could have brought home a Superdrive model right away. In fact, all four stores in the new york area (roosevelt field, the jersey store, palisades, and soho) all seem to have them in stock.
well, you live in america... everything's different here in switzerland

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Congrats! You'll be the envy of your local Starbucks!

thanks - but NO starbucks here in switzerland either
hehe, switzerland must seem like a peasant country to you guys

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 01:47 PM

no actually it sounds like a breath of fresh air and a blessing.

l�k

Originally posted by Tyrion:

iron sharpens iron

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 02:29 PM

Well don't fret...... Starbucks is the closest thing to good coffee that you can "readily" find in the US.... There are some small places that make good java but most American coffee is crap!

I personally miss the Jacobs brand of coffee that I used to drink in Germany and Austria...

I'd consider trading my US citizenship for a Swiss (no other country would make me even think about it)
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 02:32 PM

really? why's that?
i know that we have a pretty good reputation in other countries, but that's not the same anymore since the economical disasters in the past... umm... 15 months.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 02:36 PM

I love good watches, I love good chocolate, I love good craftsmanship, I love mountains, I love the neutrality, I love the three languages, I love.... etc....

But really, The US is awsome..... I just said that I would "consider" not more....
Apple user since 1981

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 03:32 PM

it's 4 languages

yeah, i'll travel to the US at least once in my life for sure...

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 04:17 PM

it's 4 languages
German, French, .... ?

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 05:10 PM

edited: sorry this post was an off-the-cuff error in judgement, so I removed it.

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by mjlukich:

German, French, .... ?
italian and... umm.. retoromanic (don't really know how to call it in english... in german it's r�toromanisch. that's quite a strange language, spoken only by a very small part of the swiss population).
( Last edited by Tyrion; Nov 30, 2002 at 06:48 PM. )

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 11:16 PM

Thanks, Tyrion. BTW, which of those four do you speak?

cruise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:

Well don't fret...... Starbucks is the closest thing to good coffee that you can "readily" find in the US.... There are some small places that make good java but most American coffee is crap!

I personally miss the Jacobs brand of coffee that I used to drink in Germany and Austria...

I'd consider trading my US citizenship for a Swiss (no other country would make me even think about it)
Agreed. Coffee in the US is pretty awful, which is amazing considering how many people drink it. (Though I was the odd person over Thanksgiving weekend - I was with a British - and more recently South African - family, a TEA was the proper thing!) There is a coffee shop in my hometown of Chattanooga, TN, called "Grayfriar's", and they truly know how to make coffee (they import from all over the world). Not even Starbucks tastes good to me anymore. Sitting in Grayfriar's sipping coffee and working on my SupderDrive TiBook while enjoying the envious looks will quickly become a favorite pastime.

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by mjlukich:
Thanks, Tyrion. BTW, which of those four do you speak?
german. well, swiss german a normal german from germany probably wouldn't understand swiss german... but of course i can also speak "normal" german.

DanielC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 06:54 AM

german. well, swiss german a normal german from germany probably wouldn't understand swiss german... but of course i can also speak "normal" german.
Hi, fellow Swiss German speaker...

Tyrion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 07:37 AM

hey nice, another swiss
since you're from lausanne, do you also speak french?

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 07:52 PM

not to start a racial war or anything..... but I understand that the "German" Swiss are really the ones that bring the Swiss nature and culture it's finest points..... i.e. The Swiss obsession with acurate measure, attention to detail, workmanship etc.... Not to take away from the French and Italian speaking people, but neither France or Italy have the level of engineering and obbsession with quality that the Germans do.... which I guess logically translates to the Swiss.... ok... enough rambling and theorizing(sp?)

Cruise, BTW, I think I've been in this coffee shop..... I do recall a great "dark" roast there imported from Arabia. It was a memorable cup.

In my line of work, I travel a lot, and make visiting coffee shops a habbit. I may write a book or do a documentary on the subject if I ever find the time.... Now that I have my PB SD, maybe I can toat my Sony DV and start it...
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules