Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > replacing eMac combo drive with SuperDrive

replacing eMac combo drive with SuperDrive
cejones
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 02:27 AM

I currently have an eMac with the combo drive.... as well as an external firewire Pioneer AO5 DVD/CDR Burner. (Superdrive).... Is it at all possible to replace the internal combo drive with the newer AO5 Pioneer drive? Is the internal Combo drive the same form factor as the AO5?

cejones  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 03:23 PM

Yep.. it is doable. Sweetness! Of course, it voids my warranty

iThink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2002, 08:56 AM

That's cool. Are you sure it voids the warranty? Why would it void the warranty? Wouldn't it simply void the warranty on that component? I upgraded the hard drive in my Powerbook to the faster and cooler GNX series and Apple says that I've only voided the warranty insofar as the hard drive is concerned and that's it. Wouldn't it apply to the Superdrive also?

How do you like that eMac? I just bought on with the Superdrive and loaded with 1GB of ram and won't receive it until next week.

We're all excited about it though -- it's our family "computer upgrade" that we do once a year at Christmas.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 01:30 PM

Apple considers the hard drive in the PowerBook a customer-installable part, and even provides instructions, so swapping it out doesn't void your warranty. They don't approve of much of anything that would cause you to crack open your eMac or iMac case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules