Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Unknown=Sales Calls.....

Unknown=Sales Calls.....
Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 03:43 PM

I don't know how that happened but no text came through.

Anyway, my post went something like this:

We have been getting lots of sales calls in the last 6 months. Must have made somebodies list, I don't know. It's a pretty save bet that 99.9% of the time when "unknown" comes up on the caller ID it's a sales call. We usually either pick up the phone and hang it up or just let the answering machine get it , in which case they don't leave a message.

So I'm trying something different. When we get an unknown call I answer "Jefferson Memorial Hostpital" (hospital I was born in) and sometimes I'll add "May I help you?". Either way, they either hang up right away or say "wrong number". It's kind of funny actually.

Do you think they take my number off their call list when this happens? I hope so.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 03:51 PM

My home phone doesn't show up on caller ID. It is a reasonably old number which means they didn't configure it for that when they installed it. As a result it is referred to as unknown on cell phones and caller IDs. It sorta sucks because lots of people with caller ID trip when they see the unknown and don't pick up the phone.

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 04:22 PM

I go ahead and answer. When they ask to speak to me, I say "Okay, got your TDD ready?" They usually respond, "Huh?" I say, "TDD, Telephone Device for the Deaf." They usually hang up at that point.

I have noticed that I'm getting fewer calls.
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

yzeater
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2002, 04:35 PM

I like to play with them. I mimic their voice, and assume that they're giving everything away...

Sales: "Hello, I'm from Joe's Carpet installer, and we're going to be in your area soon, would you be interested?"
Me: "For free?"
Sales: "Uh...." <click>

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 04:55 PM

when i was at AAA, somehow the incoming dispatch line ( the line used by the drivers and stations to get a hold of us, not the customer line) got into AT&T's hands for some sales calls (cell phones specificly). well one afternoon when it was busy some poor schmuck called to try and sell us a cellphone plan, not having time for it it old him iwould tranbsfer him to HR about it and the guy was happy. unfortunitly the transefer didn;t go to HR, cause i "mis-dailed" and it ended up going to LA CHP dispatch during the middle of rush hour (chp gave us some much stupid **** during the worst times this was fair game) after that we never got another solicitation on the dispatch line again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules