Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone try a fan mod on MDD

Anyone try a fan mod on MDD
TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 02:08 PM

Has anyone tried the mod where the PS fans get replaced with new ones?

Can it be done so that the old fans can be put back if the computer needs to be sent away?

would there be any way for them to know you had replaced the fan and then put it back?

What fans did you use? link?

loh
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2003, 02:56 PM

I replaced the two deltas with Vantec Stealth 60mm fans. http://vantecusa.com/stealth_fan.html These fans only provide about half the airflow that the Deltas do, but they are way quieter and seem to get the job done. They have been in my system for about 2 months now and no problems. In order to use the stealths I had to cut the yellow wire since they have a 3 pin connector (the Deltas use the black and red wire, with a 2 pin connector) and take off the 2 pin connector from the deltas to use on the stealths. If I wanted to I could easily replace the deltas, the only thing you would need is a very small zip tie, which was originally used to bind the fan cables together, but needed to be cut in order to replace them.

Chun Hsu
Jan 3, 2003, 01:02 AM

I assume you are referring to the mod on Accelerate Your Mac?

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/g...reduction.html

I have tried them and yes they do work. If you are careful in following the directions, the procedure is fairly easy to reverse.

You may also want to check out the Yahoo G4Noise group. There were a lot of discussions in the past about various mods.

itpga
Jan 3, 2003, 08:00 AM

The thing is that the author of the fan replacement procedure on xlr8yourmac says that the change gives a much quieter machine, this is however not as much true as it sounds :-). After replacing the fans the noise is not as high but the BIG CPU fan still makes the machine noise like hell. I know that some people switched the CPU fan for a papst fan to make it really less noisy

loh
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2003, 12:53 PM

That is true itpga, the big Delta is still loud. Im either gonna switch it out for a panaflo L1A or vantec stealth 120mm, but I havent got around to it yet.

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 01:47 PM

But if i had to put the old fans back, would apple be able to tell that i had removed the original fans and then put them back?

loh
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2003, 03:59 PM

Themosco, it doesnt really matter. How would they argue against that, do they have any proof that you changed it. Most likely they wouldnt make a big deal about it if everything was back in its correct place.

Faxe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by loh:

I replaced the two deltas ..... but needed to be cut in order to replace them.
I second that, but you have also to be really carefull with the little safety "clamps" at the connector where the fans are connected(I managed to break one of these > should be no big deal though as long as I dont throw my MDD around to much). I used Papst 8412NGM fans which should give aprox. 3/4 of air from the Deltas (was not adventerous enough to slice the airflow in half, because the hottest air is comming out of the psup. even when the proc. fan is running full throttle). For me this mod even though it does cut the noise down quite a lot didn�t do the trick, the MDD is still too loud for my taste. And it�s the psup. fans that really bother me not the proc fan, which almost never goes 2nd stage in 10.

faxe

Chun Hsu
Jan 4, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by itpga:
The thing is that the author of the fan replacement procedure on xlr8yourmac says that the change gives a much quieter machine, this is however not as much true as it sounds :-). After replacing the fans the noise is not as high but the BIG CPU fan still makes the machine noise like hell. I know that some people switched the CPU fan for a papst fan to make it really less noisy
It all depends on how lucky you are with your machine. The MDD PowerMac's have several sources of noise: power supply, case fan, and vibration of those fans with the case. People have reported various levels of success because, IMHO, PowerMac's vary in how loud each of these noise sources are.

In my case, my first PowerMac was horrendously loud in the power supply. Exchanging it got me a much quieter one, although I ended up replacing the fans anyway.

I have written up some descriptions on my web page:

http://home.centurytel.net/chunhsu/mac/noise/index.html

Here's the link to the Yahoo G4Noise group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G4noise/

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 05:33 PM

How did you work out an exchange? Did Apple do it under warranty or did you just bite the bullet and buy one yourself?

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 02:38 AM

I just ordered the Thermaltake fans for the power suppy and the Panaflo fan for the CPU and intend on doing the surgery next week.

I am also going to remove the plastic side cover (with Apple logo) and apply some type of material to cover all the holes in it.

I will let you guys know how it comes out!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 10:36 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...us%7C162148729

Anyone near an apple dealer who can see what fans they replace according to this article?

Chun Hsu
Jan 17, 2003, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
How did you work out an exchange? Did Apple do it under warranty or did you just bite the bullet and buy one yourself?
I bought the MDD at a local CompUSA. I tried out some mods, but decided that they couldn't all be that bad. I put everything back to normal and exchanged it within the 15 day period. The manager warned me that they were all loud and that he couldn't keep exchanging.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 12:29 AM

Well, I just finished replacing the Power supply fans with the Thermaltake Volcano 5 type. Also replaced the CPU fan with the Panaflo L1A. A few hours of work, and about $45 later (for the 3 fans, tax and shipping)......

Results?

Definitely happier with the drop in noise level.

My non-scientific calculation is that the machine as 50 to 60% as loud as stock. Much less annoying!

I can actually hear my hard drive crunching away now! Before, the humming from the PS drowned all other noises coming from the machine.

There is still some sort of humming, but I presume that is due to the combination of the other components inside the Power Supply and the new fans.

If you are going to do this mod, all you need is a wire cutter, electric tape, and a philips head screwdriver and torx. I ordered the CPU fan from directron.com and the PS fans from newegg.com.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
If you are going to do this mod, all you need is a wire cutter, electric tape, and a philips head screwdriver and torx. I ordered the CPU fan from directron.com and the PS fans from newegg.com.
Thanks for those tips! Do you have a URL with instrucions and pictures you used? I could use some kind of "guide"; getting the parts is easy, but doing it right...

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Thanks for those tips! Do you have a URL with instrucions and pictures you used? I could use some kind of "guide"; getting the parts is easy, but doing it right...
Go to

www.g4noise.com

You will find all kinds of info there.

Good luck!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 08:32 PM

have you guys seen this..?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/casemods/5a95/

maybe an idea...?
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

Forum Links
Forum Rules