Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari on a bondi blue iMac...slower than IE!

Safari on a bondi blue iMac...slower than IE!
libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 09:17 PM

I installed Safari on my old Bondi Blue iMac running 10.2.3. It's very very slow. Pages take forever to load and some time out after 30 seconds. I know that machine is old and slow as it is but Safari runs slower than IE on the same machine...how can this be? I installed safari on the machine by burning a cd with a copy of safari on it from my main machine. Then I just drug it onto the desktop. Could this be a/the problem? I did it that way because the iMac is so slow it was faster to do it that way.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

libraryguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 09:19 PM

[edit] sorry...responded to my own post when I meant to edit.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
I installed safari on the machine by burning a cd with a copy of safari on it from my main machine. Then I just drug it onto the desktop. Could this be a/the problem?
I'm sure this could be a problem. Let it install with the built-in installer.

davecom
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
I'm sure this could be a problem. Let it install with the built-in installer.
Yes because the built-in installer does pre-binding, basically optimization.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 09:57 PM

There isn't an installer. Apple is just using a new feature of disk images that simply copies the contents to the same folder as the image.
Vandelay Industries

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 12:19 AM

Not to be rude but the Bondi iMac is what, 233MHz? I have a B&W G3/350 and safari is dog slow. I really think that Safari, like the rest of OS X is mainly built for G4's

libraryguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
Not to be rude but the Bondi iMac is what, 233MHz? I have a B&W G3/350 and safari is dog slow. I really think that Safari, like the rest of OS X is mainly built for G4's
Well, I don't expect it to be a speed demon or anything. I mean, IE is pretty slow on the iMac too but it's at least usable. Safari is worthless on the iMac. I thought it would be coded better than IE and it's a much smaller and more efficient browser. I just assumed something must be wrong.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2003, 12:33 AM

AltiVec?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 01:04 AM

It's the fastest browser on my iMac G3 400 and iBook G3 500.
Vandelay Industries

jcb9
Jan 10, 2003, 02:25 AM

Safari is definitely much faster than OmniWeb, Chimera, or Mozilla on my 300 MHz blueberry iBook. I'd asume it's also faster than IE, but I can't say for sure, as I delted IE way back in the days of 10.0.4.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 03:03 AM

Safari is flying on my rev A iMac here (bought it August 13th 1998, a day that will live in infamy =)).

It might be that IE has all the images cashed and Safari hasn't yet. Safari was a little slow here at first as well, but now it's crusing through my favorite sites (I'm on a modem).

I did notice the trick with the Disk Image; I first thought that the Safari icon was a mounted disk image but was pleasently suprised to find it to be the actual application. It's definitely a good idea, as I'm sure most users will be confused by mounting disk images and then unmounting them.

Matt Fahrenbacher

dot_nix
Jan 10, 2003, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
I installed Safari on my old Bondi Blue iMac running 10.2.3. It's very very slow. Pages take forever to load and some time out after 30 seconds. I know that machine is old and slow as it is but Safari runs slower than IE on the same machine...how can this be? I installed safari on the machine by burning a cd with a copy of safari on it from my main machine. Then I just drug it onto the desktop. Could this be a/the problem? I did it that way because the iMac is so slow it was faster to do it that way.
I am having a completely different experience right here. Safari is flying on my rev b iMac 233 MHz and 160 mb Ram. It is much faster than IE, the rendering engine is awesome in Safari but I think your problem lies in the way Safari downloads the web pages. I've read the Safari handles this differently and with a slow connection you will probably experience this. I am on a 3MBps connection and man it is wicked!

libraryguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2003, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by dot_nix:
I am having a completely different experience right here. Safari is flying on my rev b iMac 233 MHz and 160 mb Ram. It is much faster than IE, the rendering engine is awesome in Safari but I think your problem lies in the way Safari downloads the web pages. I've read the Safari handles this differently and with a slow connection you will probably experience this. I am on a 3MBps connection and man it is wicked!
I guess I forgot to mention by connection speed. I have Ameritch DSL at 768 I think...so the connection is pretty fast.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 04:56 PM

Browsing speed is on par with Chimera on my iMac DV 400, but that's not what I'm impressed about. Scrolling in Safari is really smooth (for a Cocoa browser) - with key repeat set quite high I can scroll through these forums with speed.

As I write this I notice that although text in input boxes looks nicer, it lags far more than the most recent Chimera.

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2003, 05:01 PM

yea...safari is slow on my g3, but is very very fast on my g4

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 06:26 PM

To all those of you who are having speed problems with Safari . . . have you optimized your hard drive, repaired permissions, maxed out your RAM and so on? Of course, being an Apple product, AltiVec is bound to be in there somewhere.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 06:34 PM

Safari is lighting quick on my iBook 600 and on an iMac 266 it is very fast compared the other browsers. The iMac has 256Mb and the iBook has 640...

There is definitely no "G4 only" speed increase I can notice.

Cheers Edwin

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 10, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by photoeditor:
Of course, being an Apple product, AltiVec is bound to be in there somewhere.
Most web pages are laid out in a fairly linnear fashion -- I'd actually be surprised if there is any AltiVec code in there, especially since the core rendering engine is based on khtml.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

michel
Jan 10, 2003, 11:07 PM

i'm using the latest build of safari (v51) on a pismo 500 with 768 meg of ram, and a cable modem connection and it's very fast. maybe not perceptibly faster than chimera, but fast nonetheless.

Avon
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 02:13 AM

I just got my father a G3-400. It runs faster on the G3 than My G4-400. (Fresh install of 10.2.3) I doubt there is any AlitVec code in it...

Avon
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by michel:
i'm using the latest build of safari (v51) on a pismo 500 with 768 meg of ram, and a cable modem connection and it's very fast. maybe not perceptibly faster than chimera, but fast nonetheless.
I disagree. I think its a ton faster than chimera. I gave chimera a fair trial. Tired it for a week, but there was only a marginal imporovment over IE. Safari really is super fast.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 03:35 AM

It is running on the configuration below. It is not as quick as Steve was in the keynote (but that's logical) but I am pretty sure of myself whe I say it is the fastest browser all around.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules