Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > safari - custom icons in address bar- how?

safari - custom icons in address bar- how?
madra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2003, 09:55 AM

browsing with safari i notice that with some sites, it puts a mini version of the site logo in the address bar [and also next to that site in favourites and history] whereas other sites just get a generic globe icon.

does anyone know which tag or attribute safari is reading within the HTML of a page to base this custom icon on?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 10:59 AM

It's been answered like a thousand times in the last few days, but anyway...You need to add a 256 colors 16x16 icon named favicon.ico (renaming a gif of that specs from .gif to .ico will also work).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2003, 11:55 AM

Actually, there's another way to do it which gives you a little more freedom over the name (and to some extent, file type). Use the LINK tag in the head of your HTML, like this:
Code:
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="type-of-image" href="path-to-image" />
I don't know the MIME type for .ico files. But as someone pointed out, GIF images (MIME type image/gif) work, and I think PNG images (MIME type image/png) work too.

Animated GIF's work, but they only show the first frame on everything but Gecko (which animates them in the Address Bar but nowhere else. MNG images also work on Gecko, but nothing else can even display those.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I don't know the MIME type for .ico files...
image/x-icon, i think.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2003, 01:45 PM

Actually, there's another way to do it which gives you a little more freedom over the name (and to some extent, file type). Use the LINK tag in the head of your HTML, like this:
Code:
I don't know the MIME type for .ico files. But as someone pointed out, GIF images (MIME type image/gif) work, and I think PNG images (MIME type image/png) work too.

Animated GIF's work, but they only show the first frame on everything but Gecko (which animates them in the Address Bar but nowhere else. MNG images also work on Gecko, but nothing else can even display those.
I did that and the favicon is only displaying correctly in Safari, nothing in Gecko

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 02:10 PM

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by eevyl:
I did that and the favicon is only displaying correctly in Safari, nothing in Gecko
it's hit and miss in most mOzilla based browsers.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2003, 11:18 AM

Code:

I've read all of the threads and I can't figure it out. Sorry for my ignorance. When you say use the LINK tag in the head of your HTML, where does the code go? Specifically? And what do I use for type-of-image? I created one using Iconographer so I have a .ico file now but can't figure out EXACTLY where to put in the directory of the site and on which page of the site.

Thanks, and again please excuse my ignorance....

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I've read all of the threads and I can't figure it out. Sorry for my ignorance. When you say use the LINK tag in the head of your HTML, where does the code go? Specifically? And what do I use for type-of-image? I created one using Iconographer so I have a .ico file now but can't figure out EXACTLY where to put in the directory of the site and on which page of the site.

Thanks, and again please excuse my ignorance....
I put mine inside the <HEAD> tags. Looks like this:

<link REL="shortcut icon" HREF="/favicon.ico" TYPE="image/x-icon">

Replace favicon.ico with the location of yours and away you go. Works for me, anyhow.

--Josh

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2003, 09:56 PM

How could somebody have been online this long and never seen a "favicon"?

Welcome to five years ago.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by shadybirdstan:
How could somebody have been online this long and never seen a "favicon"?

Welcome to five years ago.
By only using IE for Mac, or Netscape for OS 9 (does Mozilla for 9 show favicons?). I know plenty of people who haven't seen them. I only started seeing them regularly when I switched to Chimera a couple months ago.

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
By only using IE for Mac, or Netscape for OS 9 (does Mozilla for 9 show favicons?). I know plenty of people who haven't seen them. I only started seeing them regularly when I switched to Chimera a couple months ago.
Need to broaden your options and step away from the Mac then. Its pretty funny to see Mac users totally amazed and baffled by something that has been around for years.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2003, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by shadybirdstan:
Need to broaden your options and step away from the Mac then. Its pretty funny to see Mac users totally amazed and baffled by something that has been around for years.
Yeah, its like my PC friend who was completely AMAZED by the fact that I could drag and drop any text from IE to the desktop and make a text clipping (which you still can't do in Windows)...every platform is different and if you aren't exposed to the other ones, how in the hell are you supposed to know certain features?

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
Yeah, its like my PC friend who was completely AMAZED by the fact that I could drag and drop any text from IE to the desktop and make a text clipping (which you still can't do in Windows)...every platform is different and if you aren't exposed to the other ones, how in the hell are you supposed to know certain features?
Yea, something like that is really on the same scale :eyeroll:.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2003, 02:17 PM

I posted a quick and simplistic "tutorial" on making a favicon in today's news, at my web site, RAILhead Design.

Check it out -- it may help you with the icon creation and implementation.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules