Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HELP! How to make 1-color job in Quark?

HELP! How to make 1-color job in Quark?
Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2003, 06:49 PM

How to make 1-color job in Quark?

Ok, i need a 1 - color setup for my quark document. I deleted all the unused colors except for the CMYK and my 1 Pantone color. I checked off "spot color" for that one Pantone color and it's the only color i am using in the entire document.

How can i get rid of the other CMYK colors? Or will printers see that i am only using one-color and get the point?

Please help and thanks in advance!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2003, 08:03 PM

Just tell the printers to output the one pantone colour. If you have set your documant up right the others would be blank anyway.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jan 13, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Too Much Coffee Woman:
How to make 1-color job in Quark?

Ok, i need a 1 - color setup for my quark document. I deleted all the unused colors except for the CMYK and my 1 Pantone color. I checked off "spot color" for that one Pantone color and it's the only color i am using in the entire document.

How can i get rid of the other CMYK colors? Or will printers see that i am only using one-color and get the point?

Please help and thanks in advance!
DON'T check off spot color. You want that color to be recognized as a spot PMS color, otherwise it will be separated into CMYK.
Who'sDaMac?

Too Much Coffee Woman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 12:03 PM

Thanks guys...

So i should just note tothe printer thatit is a 1-color job and that's it?

Nothing special to do within the Quark document?

suhail
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 12:38 PM

Thanks guys...

So i should just note tothe printer thatit is a 1-color job and that's it?

Nothing special to do within the Quark document?
Oh my God!! The printer is going to love you

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 01:04 PM

When doing a one color job, don't use a pantone.

Simply work in black (if you place photoshop or illustrator files put them in monotone black).

Asure yourself that in all your files (photoshop, illustrator and Quark) the black color uses exacly the same name. If not, as when using PMS colors, you'll get one film/plate for each name/color.

By using black in Quark. Quark wont be doing any traping over other black objects.

And to assure you that your final document is ok, simply print a color seperation on your b/w printer or any other printers. It's ok if Quarks still prints 4 pages (cmyk). You just want to have all your elements on the process black page.

Then you tell your printer to use the black plate as your film and to print with the PMS ink color you want.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by babble:
When doing a one color job, don't use a pantone.

Simply work in black (if you place photoshop or illustrator files put them in monotone black).

Asure yourself that in all your files (photoshop, illustrator and Quark) the black color uses exacly the same name. If not, as when using PMS colors, you'll get one film/plate for each name/color.

By using black in Quark. Quark wont be doing any traping over other black objects.

And to assure you that your final document is ok, simply print a color seperation on your b/w printer or any other printers. It's ok if Quarks still prints 4 pages (cmyk). You just want to have all your elements on the process black page.

Then you tell your printer to use the black plate as your film and to print with the PMS ink color you want.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! This is exactly what you need to do.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 01:31 PM

great!

i get it, but what exactly do you mean by:

"Asure yourself that in all your files (photoshop, illustrator and Quark) the black color uses exacly the same name"

like, if i color a grayscale tif file...make sure it is the same black color as everything else? and i have one illustrator logo...make sure that is 100% black?

or do i have to do something special to that 1 illustrator logo as well?

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2003, 02:31 PM

You are on the right track. In Photoshop, use greyscale; in Illustrator use K=100 or greyscale; in Quark use Black. This is all the same. If you do this right, you don't even have to print the separation. A composite print is esentially converting everything to black. As Babble pointed out, to a printer, a separated plate can be exchanged to print any color (PMS and such). The press doesn't care. That's how you can separate out spots in Photoshop images with out having to use the dreaded DCS 2. Work in CMYK and swap plates. Black as black and, oh crap... sorry tangent alert.

HTH.

Have you seen my pants?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2003, 02:33 PM

great!

"Asure yourself that in all your files (photoshop, illustrator and Quark) the black color uses exacly the same name"

like, if i color a grayscale tif file...make sure it is the same black color as everything else? and i have one illustrator logo...make sure that is 100% black?

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH
That means just make sure that the black in your Tiff file is whatever sort of black you use in your other files. For example, if your black in your Illustrator files are 100% black (CMYK build), then make sure your Tiff is also 100% black (CMYK build). Or, if your Illustrator files are the greyscale black (or spot), make sure all other colors in your files are not the CMYK-type blacks.

Also, your printer should be able to troubleshoot any oddeties that come up with this job. A one color job done all in black is probably the easiest sort of job for them. Even if you missed something in preparing your files, they should be able to deal with it very easily. Don't stress, this should be a painless print job. Good luck! (even though you probably wont need it )

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 03:04 PM

great!

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH

What I meant was if you don't use grayscales for your Photoshop files or black from CMYK in illustrator. You could do a monotone image in photoshop (same as duotone, but with only one color). When you select your black color in photoshop. It's gonna be called something like "Black". Then make sure that in Quark your black color is also called "Black" and not "process Black". Samething when you're gonna print any spot color jobs (with PMS). Always make sure that your colors have the exact same name in all aplications.

ex. Let's say you specify "PANTONE 103 CVC" in photoshop as one of your colors. Make sure you select the same color in quark or simply change it's name to "PANTONE 103 CVC". So that you don't get 2 different films for the same color.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 03:59 PM

what i am going to do is:

color everything in quark k=100

my tif image is already grayscale

and my illustrator logo is set to k=100

and then on my email to the printer:

please use the black plate as my film and print with PMS 295

i think thats right. thanks, macnn rocks!

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2003, 04:31 PM

You can test it home. But it sounds like you got figured out.

If you do want work with something other than black (ie Pantone 295 CVC), I always suggest coloring your link file elements (ie logo) first, place that into Quark. The spot color you applied/used in the link file should appear in you Color List in Quark. Then use that to color the Quark elements. When it is separated, everything will come out on its proper plate.

Or just send the printer RGB colored files and links, and tell him/her how to do his/her job. (Seriously, RGB files when separated only come out on the black plate from Quark, but ignore this tip)

Have you seen my pants?

gadster
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 08:03 AM

Your first approach was correct. Do not send a black file to a printer and tell the secretary over the phone to use a PMS.

The film will come out with 'black plate' written on it and the press guy, at 2am will print it in black, guaranteed.

Also, by putting the correct PMS in the quark doc, you have a record of what that clients colour is, instead of that post-it note you wrote the colour on.

It takes a tiny bit of extra time, but it's worth the effort. You did good. Don't listen to these other amateurs. Sorry guys.
e-gads

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2003, 08:58 PM

I think you guys are making this all too complicated. No matter what kind of set up she has with colors in Quark, you can just print the file as 'Grayscale' from Quark. Service bureaus can take any 4-color file and output as 'Gray' from Quark. One plate. Simple. Whether she prints to her own printer or a service bureau does it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules