Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Install Mac OS X (Classic) AFTER Install Mac OS X?

Install Mac OS X (Classic) AFTER Install Mac OS X?
mkuehn
Jan 13, 2003, 11:42 PM

So I reformatted my iBook last night, WITHOUT checking the "install Mac OS 9 drivers" checkbox (which I guess I was supposed to do?) and now, I can't seem to get the Classic Environment to install (I can't install OS 9.

I tried booting off of the 9.2.1 CD, but the hard drive can't be mounted, so there's no destination for the install.

Please tell me I don't have to reformat again...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew
( Last edited by mkuehn; Jan 14, 2003 at 12:18 AM. )

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 12:15 AM

Sorry! I think you have to check that box before installing X in order to install classic.

j mars
Jan 14, 2003, 11:16 AM

I'm not sure about the OS9 drivers but if you already have OSX installed you must do a "clean install" of Classic. Without the clean install the installer checks for a more recent OS on the disk or partition and refuses to install over the newer OS. If "clean install" is selected as an option the installer leaves any other OS undisturbed and installs a separate version of the OS being installed. If the installer recognizes the OSX partition I think you are OK, if it doesn't recognize the partition then you need to reinstall with the OS9 drivers.

mkuehn  (op)
Jan 14, 2003, 03:49 PM

What if I mounted my iPod under OS 9, installed OS 9 on the iPod, then mounted the iPod under OS X, and copied the OS 9 System Folder to the hard drive on my iBook, and tried to use that as my Classic startup folder?

Would that work, do you think, since both OS 9 and X will be able to mount the iPod?

Just an idea, and sounds better than re-initializing the whole thing, and doing the installs over again...

Thanks,
Matthew

You can never have too many Macs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by mkuehn:
What if I mounted my iPod under OS 9, installed OS 9 on the iPod, then mounted the iPod under OS X, and copied the OS 9 System Folder to the hard drive on my iBook, and tried to use that as my Classic startup folder?

Would that work, do you think, since both OS 9 and X will be able to mount the iPod?

Just an idea, and sounds better than re-initializing the whole thing, and doing the installs over again...

Thanks,
Matthew
You can try that, but you'll probably have to bless the new Classic folder.

sudo bless -folder /System/Library/CoreServices -folder9 <path to your Classic system folder>

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by mkuehn:

Thanks,
Matthew
Yes, that will work.

BTW, the reason that you'd have to reintialize the drive to add the OS 9 drivers is because the OS 9 drivers are actually small, multiple partitions with the driver data.
Vandelay Industries

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 05:13 PM

just intall OS9 onto a disc image... it worked great for me (plus you can compress it when you're not using it to save space)

Forum Links
Forum Rules