Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 17" imac LCD

17" imac LCD
twinkiee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2003, 03:28 PM

I bought my 1st brand new apple 17" imac at the apple store, i took it home turned it on and one pixel was out!!!! I brought it back to exchange but they wouldn't take it and said that is suppose to be acceptable. GRRRRR!!!! So now I have to stare at the one pixel that is out all day!.

But my question is: I popped in a dvd to watch and i notice the picture is pretty fuzzy. Not DVD quality at all. My TV is probaly 10xs clearer. Its worse than watching a VHS on my tv! Is this normal? Not being crystal clear?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by twinkiee:
I bought my 1st brand new apple 17" imac at the apple store, i took it home turned it on and one pixel was out!!!! I brought it back to exchange but they wouldn't take it and said that is suppose to be acceptable. GRRRRR!!!! So now I have to stare at the one pixel that is out all day!.
Have you tried massaging that stuck pixel. Not too hard, but rub it a bit maybe with a bit of cloth between your finger and the screen. That has worked in some cases.

But my question is: I popped in a dvd to watch and i notice the picture is pretty fuzzy. Not DVD quality at all. My TV is probaly 10xs clearer. Its worse than watching a VHS on my tv! Is this normal? Not being crystal clear?
OK, check to see if:

- set your display resolution to the native 1440x900; TFT displays can be fuzzy when they're not at their native resolutions.

- open the DVD player app, start playing the DVD and check the menu entry on player window size. Go to the item that says something like "Original Size" (sorry, don't know the exact wording since I'm not at my Mac now) or just press Command-1.

Any better now? Is it still fuzzy?

twinkiee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2003, 12:39 PM

ya i tried rubbing the pixel and it would fade out, starts blinking then comes back.

I did set my resolution to the highest 1440x900. And did put in my dvd setting at original size but its so small, clearer but tiny. Is it because the dvd producer set it at a smaller resolution? But you are right when i put iton original size its clearer but small, on the maximum window size its fuzzy.

Is that normal? Is there anything else i can do? thanks for the advice Simon!

Is the apple crt displays different/better res? because i remember checking a dvd out on a apple crt display 21" and it was very clear at maximum window size.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 05:01 PM

Yes, with DVDs it IS normal, let me explain why:

The DVDs you are watching are probably using something like 700x400 resolution or such, which was at one time the best HDTV resolution.

However, since TVs are such low quality at displaying things, the resolution doesn't matter and on the TV it looks better.

The best thing to do is set it to normal size and zoom in. Sometimes that helps a little.

Anyway, because your monitor is so much more precise it can display many more things than a tv, thus when you make it bigger it just blurs and looks awful.

If you get an eyetv type machine or such, and watch actual TV on your computer, you'll notice that the screen is really tiny
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

DavidBerger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 09:53 AM

UP to 5 dead or stuck pixels to be considered "perfect". I read that in a Apple publication. To bad I have 8 dead pixels and Apple will not take back my 17" iMac.

andycroll
Jan 16, 2003, 12:41 PM

The lesson is...

Make your dealer show you the working hardware. Or buy on credit card, giving you some more protection. Also statutary rights in the UK protect you against goods being "not fit for purpose" and frankly I want a perfect screen! If you complain enough, quickly enough you can acheive results.

...it worked for me

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

twinkiee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 12:47 PM

heyyy thanks Mac for the info. i hope they start making dvds w/ higher res for computers.

David: I feel so bad for u having 8 pixels out!!!! WOWOOW thats terrible!! i can't believe they won't take it back either!!! if the apple publication said that 5 is acceptable and urs is at 8 cant you exchange it??!!! did u call them to yell. or write a hate letter to the top management about this! mannn if i had 8 pixels out i would be soooo tripping!!!! i love apples and all but if i had 5+ pixels out and they didnt exchange it, my confidence in apple will diminish. i have one out and i was tripping already.

Mr.Clicky
Jan 21, 2003, 12:39 AM

I think the "standard" is 5 pixels within a certain space so perhaps Apple's argument is the 8 dead 'uns are spread out They argue some spurious supplier-driven economies of scale furphy but frankly I think that's Apple's problem. Manufacturers found a way around this not by improving the manurfacturing process but by changing the rules of trade - goal-post shifting at its most absurd!

Either way when I buy my 17" in the next couple of months I'll be having the dealer take the actual machine out of the box and runnig a dead pixel test. When you're paying that amount of $$ I don't want any pixel staring at me forevermore

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2003, 02:54 PM

Yeah I was going to say my only advice is to try and massage out the pixel. Press from the front and back of your screen. Besides some people have to have a pixel or two out or prices would shoot up for flat panels.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules