Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > using CDR or CDRW as floppy ?

using CDR or CDRW as floppy ?
altimac
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 07:34 PM

hi !

my girlfriend is very happy with her new ibook 800 but she still complains about no floppy disk...
I assure her that floppies are like dinosaurs, something from the past, but i must admit that there is nothing as easy to use and well known on our ibooks

At her university, the network is a terrible mess, she doesn't know how to connect her ibook to other machines, if she has right to do that the network is "closed" and one can't connect its computer like this ... for security reason i suppose.

She uses multi-session CDR as floppy disk, but it's not easy at all, it's slow etc...
Last time she tried to burn a CD on a old windows machines which doesn't appear to burn CDR as sessions but burn all the cd erasing important datas on the CDR

is there at least a way to use CDRW as floppy disk on macs ? is there a software for this ? does toast offer something like that ? is it pc compatible ?

thanks for your help
( Last edited by altimac; Jan 15, 2003 at 07:44 PM. )
CarraFix, the traffic shaper for OS X !

Enjoy The [CFx] Community !
http://www.carrafix.com

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 07:56 PM

Toast will Erase the CD-RW and copy new info to it if that is what you mean. If she is connecting to PC's though she has to format it in ISO format though.

Why not go out and buy her a $50 USB floppy drive?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Why not go out and buy her a $50 USB floppy drive?
Another good solution is for her to email things to herself.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2003, 12:00 AM

since floppies only hold 1.4mb, and online mailboxes/briefcases are ubiquitous, I also have moved entirely to email for transporting small files. Email to multiple addresses/sites for redundancy (important docs), and save locally to iBook HD for backup as well. Much easier than having to carry removeable media. That said, if she really wants floppies, grab a cheap USB floppy drive.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Forum Links
Forum Rules