Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.3 System Crashes on Log Out

10.2.3 System Crashes on Log Out
mkuehn
Jan 15, 2003, 01:41 PM

Ever since I've ran the 10.2.3 Combo Update, most of the time when I try to log out, you can tell the computer is beginning to do the log out, but then shortly after you issue the Log Out command, the screen goes gray and you get that message in several languages that basically says, "Sorry about this, dude, but you have to reboot by holding down the power key for a few seconds."

My typical log out procedure is thus:

+ Use the Airport icon on the menu bar to Disconnect (ABS dials up to my ISP)

+ While the Airport icon says "Disconnecting" or "Waiting for modem to reset...", select Log Out from the Apple menu or Cmd - Shift - Q.

The crash then occurs as mentioned above. I tried waiting until after the Airport icon changes back to the "active, but not dialed-up" icon to perform the log out, but I still get crashes even after waiting.

Any ideas? It doesn't do it every time I log out, and it never did this before the Combo update (when I was running 10.2.2). And I recently reformatted the drive partially because of this problem and reinstalled the OS to see if the crash on log out would go away, but it didn't, damn it.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.
Matthew

You can never have too many Macs.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 05:55 PM

If your computer is an iBook/PowerBook, this is a known bug of 10.2.3. It should hopefully be fixed in 10.2.4. Either go back to 10.2.2 or wait for 10.2.4. (or do not log out )

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
If your computer is an iBook/PowerBook, this is a known bug of 10.2.3. It should hopefully be fixed in 10.2.4. Either go back to 10.2.2 or wait for 10.2.4. (or do not log out )
Oh.. thanks.. I thought I had that because I overclocked my L2 Cache

mkuehn  (op)
Jan 16, 2003, 09:34 AM

Yes, the Mac in question *is* an iBook (P29). Do you know if there is an Apple KB article on this?

Thanks,
Matthew

You can never have too many Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules