Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Meteorologist Beta for the interested

Meteorologist Beta for the interested (Page 2)
Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
I'd like to request that you bring back the old behavior, of Meteo retaining the info it downloads, even if you go offline. Yes, the info is not-so-useful re: currently conditions, but for forcast items, it's actually nice to keep around...
Hmmm... in my current model that doesn't work very well. That was a cool feature though. I'm going to have to think about how I can bring that back,

That is a good point, thanks,
Matt Fahrenbacher

P.S. does anyone know if this version is warmer?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2003, 08:43 PM

Anybody messed with 1.2.1?

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2003, 10:14 PM

Well, I'm attempting to switch over from 'Son of Weather Grok' since they killed production of the program about 4-5 months ago for OS X. I am interested in Meteo, and have skimmed this thread.
So far, my thoughts are (version 1.2):
1.) I have not yet been able to display the current weather along 'with' the city name in my menu bar. That would be nice. I've checked preferences and it doesn't appear to be an option.
2.) My Extended Forecast isn't working. I have 3 other cities besides mine and they all have an extended forecast that works, hmmmm.
3.) I would like an option where a sound would chime if the weather changed... where I would be able to choose the sound... some are really annoying.
4.) This is probably way out there, but would be nice to be able to display a 'colored radar snapshot' of the area to show storms moving in, etc. That's the one nice this about weather.com, but if this little app could pull it off, I'd have no reason to go to weather.com ever again.
4.) I tried running 1.2.1 and it doesn't appear. I double-click it and nothing happens.

Seems this is a program worth sticking with and looking forward to future updates.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2003, 11:48 PM

Matt:

Okay, just got through using 1.2.1....damn man, you are an animal. It's everything I was looking for (minus the web click, I use that!!). Some "Current Weather" settings aren't displaying from Weather.com (like Hi temperature), etc....but I am sure those will get worked out!

Great work, what else is coming?

Thanks!
( Last edited by gorickey; Jan 16, 2003 at 12:00 AM. )

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Matt:

Okay, just got through using 1.2.1....damn man, you are an animal. It's everything I was looking for (minus the web click, I use that!!)

Great work, what else is coming?

Thanks!
Probably links

Right now I'm just seeing what people need right now. Bugs that aren't addressed. Things that are flat out broken. Then, I'll move on to other things, like links

Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2003, 11:57 PM

I changed my post above a little, take note....I can't get some of the stuff to show up.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2003, 12:10 AM

For what city? Sometimes weather.com doesn't provide data for Hi, Low, or other things. If you go look at the weather.com page and it is showing that info and Meteo is not, then that would be a problem. Also, just for future reference, when you're having a problem, I can't figure out what the problem is unless you also provide the city you are using

Hope this helps,
Matt Fahrenbacher

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2003, 10:47 AM

Okay 1.2.1 is out. :crosses fingers:

http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/meteo/Meteo1.2.1.dmg

Actually, this will be a good test if auto updating is actually working.

Thanks again everyone,
Matt Fahrenbacher

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2003, 11:56 AM

1.2.1 looks good, Matt!

But ... (there's always a "but," isn't there? <g>) ...

Each line in my extended (in-line) forcast now begins with a string like this example:

Tuesday Date: Tuesday Forecast:

which is obviously a little redundant. (BTW, this is using westher.com data for the city of Bozeman, MT.)

Thanks again, Matt, for all your work on this thing.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Montanan:
1.2.1 looks good, Matt!

But ... (there's always a "but," isn't there? <g>) ...

Each line in my extended (in-line) forcast now begins with a string like this example:

Tuesday Date: Tuesday Forecast:

which is obviously a little redundant. (BTW, this is using westher.com data for the city of Bozeman, MT.)

Thanks again, Matt, for all your work on this thing.
You can fix that in City Editor...it's under the extended forecast options, just "un-check" either Forecast or Date (not sure which one exactly without looking), and that will stop the redundency.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2003, 01:26 PM

You can fix that in City Editor...it's under the extended forecast options, just "un-check" either Forecast or Date (not sure which one exactly without looking), and that will stop the redundency.

Yep ... un-checking "date" did the trick. Many thanks!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2003, 02:44 PM

I want to like Meterologist. I really do. But everytime I download a new version and fire it up I end up trashing the application within 5 minutes. Why?

The icons just plain suck!

I don't mean to be rude, but they are just plain awful. Even though Meteorologist is free and full-featured ... I end up going back to the free and limited version of WeatherPop for one reason. Quite simply, I can glance at the icon and instantly recognize it. I even prefer the grayscale look to the color icons because it just "fits" the overall look of the menu bar items better. The icons in Meteorologist are simply unrecognizable.

The bottom line is that until Meteorologist gets better icons I'll just use the free WeatherPop for "current" weather information ... and Watson for extended forecasts.

OAW

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
I want to like Meterologist. I really do. But everytime I download a new version and fire it up I end up trashing the application within 5 minutes. Why?

The icons just plain suck!

I don't mean to be rude, but they are just plain awful. Even though Meteorologist is free and full-featured ... I end up going back to the free and limited version of WeatherPop for one reason. Quite simply, I can glance at the icon and instantly recognize it. I even prefer the grayscale look to the color icons because it just "fits" the overall look of the menu bar items better. The icons in Meteorologist are simply unrecognizable.

The bottom line is that until Meteorologist gets better icons I'll just use the free WeatherPop for "current" weather information ... and Watson for extended forecasts.

OAW
Matt has made it known for several months now that he'll host other people's icons and make them downloadable....people just need to make it happen!

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2003, 03:50 PM

It would be possible to just move the image resources from WeatherPop to Meteo... but I didn't suggest that! The mappings would have to be figured out blah blah blah and I wouldn't host their images - that would be in bad faith.

I really don't want to add more images, but I don't have the graphics background to make anything but stick figures. They would be cute stick figures, but I'm not sure they would be much of an improvement.

Matt Fahrenbacher

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
It would be possible to just move the image resources from WeatherPop to Meteo... but I didn't suggest that! The mappings would have to be figured out blah blah blah and I wouldn't host their images - that would be in bad faith.

I really don't want to add more images, but I don't have the graphics background to make anything but stick figures. They would be cute stick figures, but I'm not sure they would be much of an improvement.

Matt Fahrenbacher
OIC. I don't have a graphics background either ... so I definitely understand. Well maybe one of your legions of users will hook you up with some really nice grayscale (as well as color) icons for you to put into Meteorologist. I'm sure there's a graphics person in that group somewhere who might be willing to do it for you. Once that happens, I'll give your program another look.

I will say this though. Other than the icons, you've done an excellent job! You should be proud.

OAW

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2003, 07:30 PM

I actually looked into this once, and it seemed to me the graphic scheme used in weatherpop was drastically diferent than meteo. i.e. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

SoCal_BigFoot
Jan 16, 2003, 08:55 PM

Hey this is great and you rock! Speaking of "Extended Forecast", wouldn't be easier to read if you align everything? Maybe just add enough space to match the longest name, so all the corresponding digits will be in one column.

xtal
Senior User
Jan 16, 2003, 10:11 PM

You are a wonderful wonderful person.

May many good things shine upon you...

Meterologist is super!

-Nick

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 11:52 PM

I haven't read this post yet.. but what i'd like to see in it is the ability to change the text color other then black so that when i theme my bar and all the text goes white i'm not stuck with a big black weather out of place temperature.

unless you can already do that and i'm j ust missing something.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
I haven't read this post yet.. but what i'd like to see in it is the ability to change the text color other then black so that when i theme my bar and all the text goes white i'm not stuck with a big black weather out of place temperature.

unless you can already do that and i'm j ust missing something.
It's under "Preferences"...it will change the menu bar color to anything you want, but it does NOT do the pull down menu's color.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2003, 12:26 AM

P.S. does anyone know if this version is warmer?
Just been playing with the new interface: MUCH MUCH better.

All seems very well indeed with the new version.

I'd over to help with the icons if I had any skills myself, but they are quite lacking unfortunately...
cpac

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2003, 01:11 AM

Question: In 1.2.2 (geesh, already?), I've moved the City window (just the one that lists the cities) to the preferences in their own tab.

Is this good or bad? Someone suggested it, so I just want to see.

Other things in 1.2.2 so far:

- Increased the maximum menu bar font size to 24
- Fixed odd dragging behavior (use to be more like swap)
- Fixed problem where forecast items looked like they could be dragged to the current weather table.
- Added City Switcher menu item
- Added proper city cycling preference, as well as cycling to new active cities preference
- Fixed problem where data would be shown twice for inlined forecasts (only effects newly created cities - this behavior can be fixed manually in the City Editor window, under the Weather items tab for existing cities).

Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2003, 01:19 AM

Question: In 1.2.2 (geesh, already?), I've moved the City window (just the one that lists the cities) to the preferences in their own tab.

Other things in 1.2.2 so far:

- Increased the maximum menu bar font size to 24
- Fixed odd dragging behavior (use to be more like swap)
- Fixed problem where forecast items looked like they could be dragged to the current weather table.
- Added City Switcher menu item
- Added proper city cycling preference, as well as cycling to new active cities preference
- Fixed problem where data would be shown twice for inlined forecasts (only effects newly created cities - this behavior can be fixed manually in the City Editor window, under the Weather items tab for existing cities).

Matt Fahrenbacher
Ummm, do you sleep? Seriously, you are an animal dude.

Just my usual "Links" would be nice idea is all I can say...

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know of a Weather Sherlock 3 channel out there? A meterologist channel?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by headbirth:
Does anyone know of a Weather Sherlock 3 channel out there? A meterologist channel?
I have seen one out there before; however, I forget the name. Have you searched VT for it?

Also, I think a Meteorologist Sherlock channel would defeat the purpose of having Meteo in the menu bar because why would you want to launch an application, then it's specified channel to see the information you are seeking instead of just moving your mouse up and into the menu bar? Make sense?

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2003, 09:42 PM

Hey, I say run with it! It seems this is the time to rock'n'roll and you should give it while it wants it!
I think people enjoy updates like this even beit one soon after another. It shows you actually are involved with your idea. I think you are setting presidence as a developer.

jcb9
Jan 17, 2003, 11:15 PM

Meteorologist has simply stopped working on my machine (300 MHz blueberry clamshell iBook, OS X 10.2.3, 320 MB RAM). When I double click on the icon, it simply doesn't launch the Meteorologist menu item. When I run top, there's no Meteorologist process.

Is there any way to go back to version 1.1.9? This never happened before I installed 1.2. After I upgraded, it worked for a day or two, but now nothing...

jcb9
Jan 17, 2003, 11:21 PM

Actually, nevermind the last post. After posting, it occurred to me that I hadn't tried deleting all traces of Meteorologist and reinstalling - and that worked. Duh.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 02:32 PM

Links are back!

That should make some anonymous people happy

I just need to tune up the NWS and Wunderground.com parsers for the next weel or so, and 1.2.2 should be good to go.

Matt Fahrenbacher

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2003, 10:51 PM

Okay, Meteo is the best weather app out there! Much better than WeatherPop IMO.

I'm still using 1.1.9 though, for one reason. What the heck happened to being able to turn off some of the data that's displayed? When ALL the data is displayed, there's a lot I don't care about, and it takes up a ton of space!

If you could bring this back, I'd update

Thanks again for the cool app! You rock!
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 11:28 PM

um those options have always been there, they just moved somewhat to the city editor (so you could set different requirements for different cities).
cpac

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2003, 01:17 AM

Okay, I got a beta of 1.2.2 ready. In addition to what I've listed above, I've also improved the NWS and Wundergound parsing a huge amount. There could still be some problems, but I believe I've squashed most things. Wunderground now relays image info as well as long range forecast info.

So give it a shot:

http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/meteo/Meteo1.2.2.dmg

Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2003, 02:22 AM

Links? Now, who here wanted links? Take those things out!

Thanks man...this is flippin fantastic!

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2003, 10:58 PM

Wonderful job and support...

I agree with the majority of people that the icons could be a bit nicer, keep asking for help on that one!

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 12:41 AM

So give it a shot:
Well it seems to work ok with the Weater.com data, but as soon as I try to add NWS data it crashes, and then hangs on "loading" upon a relauch. The only solution I've found is to delete preferences and start from scratch avoiding using non-Weather.com info...
cpac

passmaster16
Senior User
Jan 20, 2003, 01:45 AM

wow, this is a nifty app, thanks and keep up the good work!

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 03:09 AM

Well it seems to work ok with the Weater.com data, but as soon as I try to add NWS data it crashes, and then hangs on "loading" upon a relauch. The only solution I've found is to delete preferences and start from scratch avoiding using non-Weather.com info...
Yeah, NWS was working for the one city I was testing, but every other city after that chocked. That's not a problem, as I've really shored up the parsing engine for both for whenever I release 1.2.2 (I'll hopefully post another beta before that time).

Oh, and about the icons - if anyway with graphic expertise simply wants to add saturation to the icons by about 70% (as suggested), then I'll include them in the next release. I'm not doing it because

a) I don't know how to
b) I don't have the software to do so
c) I'd probably mess it up

Or you can make your own icons, I'm all for that.

Matt Fahrenbacher

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 12:59 PM

Okay, a new 1.2.2 is up (same link as above) with:

- Better parsing
- Radar Images

I'm off for a week of student teaching prep in cold cold cold Champaign Illinois.

Matt Fahrenbacher

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 02:54 PM

Okay, a new 1.2.2 is up (same link as above) with:

- Better parsing
- Radar Images

Holy cow - the radar images are awesome!

now there is no need (at least for me) for the link feature as I just get the map from the menu!

Have yet to check the parsing still, but looks great so far!
cpac

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 06:23 PM

Matt:

Radar Images is sweet! Great implementation; however, anytime I "Manually Load Data" or have it update automatically....the next time I pull down the menu bar extra, Meteo crashes immediately.
( Last edited by gorickey; Jan 20, 2003 at 08:12 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2003, 09:02 PM

Matt:

Radar Images is sweet! Great implementation; however, anytime I "Manually Load Data" or have it update automatically....the next time I pull down the menu bar extra, Meteo crashes immediately.
Can somebody please confirm this...cpac?

Thanks.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2003, 10:01 PM

Can somebody please confirm this...cpac?

Thanks.
I have definitely been getting a lot of unexpected "quits" - more often then not after clicking on the menu icon, but sometimes after a wake from sleep as well.

I did just what you said - launched meteo, told it to load new data then clicked on the menu bar. Nothing happened immediately (including the menu not appearing), then when I tried to click on it again it crashed.

Love the radar, hate the crashes (and the hunting meteo down to launch it again).

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be ironed out soon...

Matt - any logs we should send you to help things out? (& where to find them?)
cpac

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2003, 10:17 PM

I have definitely been getting a lot of unexpected "quits" - more often then not after clicking on the menu icon, but sometimes after a wake from sleep as well.

I did just what you said - launched meteo, told it to load new data then clicked on the menu bar. Nothing happened immediately (including the menu not appearing), then when I tried to click on it again it crashed.

Love the radar, hate the crashes (and the hunting meteo down to launch it again).

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be ironed out soon...

Matt - any logs we should send you to help things out? (& where to find them?)
cpac:

Whew, thank goodness I am not the only one, I have sent Matt the crash logs already, he said he'll get it figured out when he has time after work.

s_surfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 09:30 PM

I placed Meteorologist 1.2.1 in my dock. When I selected the preference 'Dispaly in Dock' it changed the dock icon to the current temperature as expected (after I restarted the program).

However, when I deselected the option 'Display in Dock' the dock icon continued to be the last temperature and did not revert back to the defaut application icon. So now th only way to get the default icon back is to remove the program from the doc and drag a new one back in.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by s_surfer:
I placed Meteorologist 1.2.1 in my dock. When I selected the preference 'Dispaly in Dock' it changed the dock icon to the current temperature as expected (after I restarted the program).

However, when I deselected the option 'Display in Dock' the dock icon continued to be the last temperature and did not revert back to the defaut application icon. So now th only way to get the default icon back is to remove the program from the doc and drag a new one back in.
Now that's odd. Okay, I'll look at my code controlling that next, Anyway, a new beta of 1.2.2 is up - see if it works for you!

(Also, is anyone having problems with Celsius? Someone claimed they were getting Fahrenheit temps displayed as Celsius or something).

Matt Fahrenbacher

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2003, 10:39 PM

Okay, I misread your post. Now I get what was going on.

I just forgot to reset the application dock icon on quit, I'll fix that in the final of 1.2.2.

Thanks,
Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2003, 11:10 PM

Now that's odd. Okay, I'll look at my code controlling that next, Anyway, a new beta of 1.2.2 is up - see if it works for you!

(Also, is anyone having problems with Celsius? Someone claimed they were getting Fahrenheit temps displayed as Celsius or something).

Matt Fahrenbacher
Matt:

What did you try to fix in beta 3 of 1.2.2? Still the same crashing issue for me...

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2003, 11:17 PM

Matt:

What did you try to fix in beta 3 of 1.2.2? Still the same crashing issue for me...
Well it was gone. I'll get back to work...

Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2003, 11:22 PM

Well it was gone. I'll get back to work...

Matt Fahrenbacher
I've tried deleting prefs to see if that would work....I added one city, and it worked and updated just fine, added another city and CRASH.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2003, 12:01 AM

Yeah, it only happens if:

1) You have atleast one city using Weather.com
2) You have more than one city

Very aggravating... but, I think it stopped crashing (at least for me). Very bizarre fix, but I have a decent idea about what was going wrong (I think it was related to the links).

http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/meteo/Meteo1.2.2.dmg

Matt Fahrenbacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules