Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stores with new AluBooks on Display (list)

Stores with new AluBooks on Display (list) (Page 2)
ebisix
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 07:34 PM

Thanks.
( Last edited by ebisix; Jul 19, 2003 at 01:49 AM. )

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Wow, looks like almost all of the Apple stores got a few of them in... according this thread, all the Apple stores in Illinois got some in and both have them on display and sale (probably sold out by now). Does that mean that online sales are next? One can hope

stilltron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 08:24 PM

Apple store in Arlington, VA has the 12" in.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2003, 09:15 PM

Anyone seen a demo unit at the store in the Mall of America?

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2003, 09:31 PM

The store in Roosevelt Field does not have the 12" on display yet. However, they informed me that they would have some tommorrow, and that the 17" would arrive in mid-February.

We'll see...
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2003, 09:40 PM

Short Hills NJ has one on display. Beautifully built. Much more durable feeling than both the iBook and original Ti's.

Keyboard's amazing. RAM slot is under the four screw plate on the bottom housing. Airport Ex is in a door inside the battery bay once the battery's removed.

So, back to the store, 2 for display but more in stock. May wanna check back soon or reserve early once they're available for purchase.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by mrchin:
Short Hills NJ has one on display. Beautifully built. Much more durable feeling than both the iBook and original Ti's.

Keyboard's amazing. RAM slot is under the four screw plate on the bottom housing. Airport Ex is in a door inside the battery bay once the battery's removed.

So, back to the store, 2 for display but more in stock. May wanna check back soon or reserve early once they're available for purchase.
thank god, i was going there anyway tommorrow after school and was hoping they'd have one to mess around with.

lawgeek
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I decided to call the Apple Store at Novi, MI and they just got in 3 today. Immediately cancelled by online Apple Store order, hopped in the car, and drove to the store to pick one up!

jade408
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 01:02 AM

Emeryville store has them in too.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2003, 08:42 AM

Anybody know if Towson in Maryland or King of Prussia in Philadelphia have 12" alubooks on display? I think I've already called one too many times at the KoP Apple Store.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Just called Southpoint (Durham, NC). They have the 12" on display, but none for sale.
If only my company could call it a snow day today, I would be able to go nd check it!!!!

villa

hibbacross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 07:15 PM

I just called the Wellington Green Store and they said that they have the 12" display model, but they sold out of the 12" that they got to sell.
Garrett

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2003, 08:12 PM

Valley Fair Mall has them now....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2003, 08:20 PM

As of yesterday Palisades had a 12".

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Tekserve will have them Wed or Thurs this upcoming week...12" only, no Superdrive, but on display and available for sale.
Tekserve's site now reports the 12" model is being sold.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2003, 11:03 PM

Short Hills NJ has 7 available for sale. They may be gone by tonight.

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Anybody know if Towson in Maryland or King of Prussia in Philadelphia have 12" alubooks on display? I think I've already called one too many times at the KoP Apple Store.
KoP has at least one 12" in for display .. i played with it on Wed. (For reference I own 500 MHz Rev A Ti) My comments:

It's seemed much sturdier and rugged than my Ti. No bending when picking it up by one end. It was a little warm/hot but again it was running and on top of that beaming light non-stop � it�s no �real word� conditions. I'd say it was a little less hot than my Ti.

The keyboard was definitely sturdier than the Ti's. Not sure if they are real AI but they do look.

The speaker placement is interesting in that it is on the far edge with the idea that the sound will bounce of the bent screen. Seemed as loud as my Ti, hard to tell with all the room noise though.

I tried to see if the keyboard would touch the screen while closed; I couldn't tell for sure but will say the following. The keys do seem to rise a little more than palm rest. It has more ridged bumpers ... on my ti there are some small thin rubber bummers on the palm rest side that are suppose to hold the screen away from the base when closed. The new MiniBook has more sturdy round feet on its screen. All in all the screen doesn't seem to touch keys when sitting on the desk, I think there is still a chance while shifting in a backpack or bag it could but less so than the Ti-es did. Time will tell.

It does come with 256 MB of RAM .. 128 soldered on the board and a 128 chip .. annoying .. I wish they could just solder the 256 and give me an empty slot.

CD slot takes in disks so much better than my Ti�s DVD drive. New Tis do this to but I list it as it�s important to me
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by mrchin:
Short Hills NJ has 7 available for sale. They may be gone by tonight.
when were you there? i was there from like 2 to 3. mighta seen ya

boardsurfer
Jan 24, 2003, 12:57 AM

Fashion Valley (San Diego) has them on display on in stock -12" that is..

Everything from the Keynote is available there except the 17" and iLife.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2003, 09:43 AM

Saw it on Thursday. I tried to post, but Safari didn't want to cooperate. Anyway, to add to your observations, I noticed that there was skipping or drop-outs during audio playbook using iTunes.

The speakers are definitely better than on my iBook, but still don't hold a candle to earphones. I agree with you that the fit and finish is excellent. No more cracking sounds while opening the lid. Finally, I felt that the OS was somewhat sluggish (for a G4). I'm hoping that Virtual PC, at least, runs well.

I'm getting one!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2003, 03:30 PM

Not one to forget the small retailer, I can report that the East Village's Digital Society has one 12" on display, but none in stock. "A few" are expected over the coming weeks.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

macgeekjay
Jan 24, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by tullamore:
Anyone seen a demo unit at the store in the Mall of America?
I can't believe no one responded! :-P

We do have them at both the Southdale and Mall of America locations in Minnesota.

At MOA we recieved about 8 units and sold them all before close on the 22nd. It's a night and day difference between Ai and Ti.

IMHO, the 12" is the best portable Apple has ever put out. It's amazingly durable, simply The best keyboard ever built- very smooth and easy to type on, you've got to try it. Sure it's small, but that's the point. I can't wait to get the 17" in!! It's gonna be amazing!

STOP in and see it for yourself! We even put up a new window display that night.... Damn does Apple put a lot into those things. I actually drew blood trying to get those damn things up!

GRRrrrrrr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2003, 08:14 PM

Looks like stores all over Japan are going to be starting to display the 12" units today (the 25th). I think I will drop by the store in my neighborhood later today...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 09:19 PM

The Apple Store in STL has one on display....

Quite impressed for not being a Mac user....yet...

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 09:32 PM

The Apple store in Crossgates Mall (Albany, NY) has one on display and the salesclerk told me they had one left in stock. There were a handful of people wanting to play with the demo unit.

It is REALLY TEENY! Smaller than I had thought, but I'm used to my Pismo. It is one sweet little machine - I loved it!!!!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 07:54 AM

Well I went out of my to go to one of the stores in my city that was listed on apple's website as starting the display of the 12" powerbooks. I had to wait like 20 minutes for a store employee who was installing some postcard making program in classic for some guy who wanted to see if it worked.

Anyway, I am very pleased. The metal finish is very classy and smooth. I'm pretty sure that the frame around the screen, the palmrest and the clicker button are all made of aluminum like the top and bottom case. Very cool. I love the curves on the edges of the case.

The keyboard is MUCH better than any of the ibook or powerbook keyboards I have tried, both in the sense that there was no "bounce" and the shape of the keys also felt great.

It was not hot at all. At all. There was a very very slight increase in the temp of the left palmrest as compared to the right, but it was hardly noticable. I'm sure the unit had been sitting on all day, so that seems like very good news to me. Of course it wasn't really doing anything, so if you push the processor I'm sure it will heat up, but at least it wasn't having heat problems just sitting there.

It didn't have a battery in it, so it was hard to judge weight, but it seemed very light -- and small.

There was practically nothing on the hard drive, so I couldn't really test performance. They didn't even have any MP3s or videos for me to test the sound. Oh well. Couldn't hear anything in the din of the store anyway. There were several other people who seemed quite interested in it as well -- I'm sure it will sell well.

webb3201
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 10:44 AM

Microcenter in Dallas, Texas has the 12" on display. I spent about 30 minutes with the machine as the Mac section was like a tomb (as usual)
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

bwb
Jan 25, 2003, 03:33 PM

here in fayetteville arkansas megabyte has one on display and two for sale
Quality Web Hosting! Enter the coupon "macnn" when you sign up and get 20% off forever!
http://www.bweebhosting.com

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 07:18 PM

I called around this afternoon to see who had the 12-inch PowerBook on display. The closest and best place travelwise is the CompUSA in Braintree. Although their website said they were out-of-stock this morning, later this afternoon they said they were in limited quantities. I called the Braintree CompUSA and they said they had a model on display. So I went to see it.

When I got there, there wasn't a 12-inch PowerBook to be seen. I walked around thinking I missed something. I asked one of the CompUSA guys where it was and he said it should be on display. So they went to go get the Apple Rep - who I too was looking for - and - nowhere to be found. So the CompUSA guy comes from the back with the 12-inch PowerBook in the box. The Apple Store rep shows up and takes it out. I was trying to ask some questions, but this Apple Rep had the warm and charm of an unflushed toilet. A real jerk.

I asked him when the 15-inch aluminum model was coming out and he said, "I know, but I'm not allowed to give that information out." I took that to mean, it's coming soon otherwise he would have said the Titanium is here to stay for awhile. I never got to touch the thing at all because he spent the majority of the time setting it up. It was nice seeing the aluminum in person. I thought it was small. From looking at the 17-inch iMac, I think the 17-inch will be too big. The aluminum looked fantastic and from the Apple Rep using it, it looked solid.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 11:57 PM

Well, they seem to have the 12" all over the place now almost. I went to see one today at the CompUSA in Orange/Milford CT. Took some pics which i posted in another thread aswell. The rep told me that the they are expecting the 17" PB's in 6 weeks.. ugh

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
when were you there? i was there from like 2 to 3. mighta seen ya
I'm there mostly every day!!!

As of today, 12" SuperDrive books are in for sale as well.

intake
Jan 26, 2003, 12:35 AM

Aspen Grove in Littleton, CO had one on display, and about 15 in stock. Almost all of the computer sales I saw while in there for 1/2 hour were 12" AlBooks.

We bought the last combo drive model!

It's a sweet little machine. I'm pissed that Apple has already populated the memory slot.
What the hell am I going to do with a 128MB DDR SO-DIMM?

Someone mentioned not beaing able to test speakers. The speakers are on the back of the unit. When the screen is open, the sound reflects back into your face. The sound is louder than an iBook, and certainly clearer. However, I feel the the stereo imaging gets kinda screwed up with the reflection.

Don't let that stop you from buying one!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2003, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by intake:
It's a sweet little machine. I'm pissed that Apple has already populated the memory slot.
What the hell am I going to do with a 128MB DDR SO-DIMM?
Yeah, they should have at least soldered a 256MB DIMM. It's really a shame. The only people who get a fair deal are those that order and upgrade the RAM through the AppleStore.

How about selling the 128MB DIMM on ebay. At least it's better than just having it sit around...

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 02:00 AM

Anyone know if either of the Michigan stores have 17" PB yet?
Troy Murray

Forum Links
Forum Rules