Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Review of new 17" Powerbook

My Review of new 17" Powerbook (Page 3)
murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I'm dead serious. You guys have a right to be skeptical, but Bodhi is purely lame. It's too bad the people from the AppleInsider forums didn't die with the site.
Someone casts a little doubt on this guy... and you go and say something like that?

Pathetic.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2003, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
So are you avoiding my challenge to create the fake you claimed you could post "tonight"? That's what I thought...
Perhaps this just "flew over your head," but the point was that someone with expertise with Photoshop could certainly come up with a quick pic of someone holding a 17" AlBook!

Oh, and ... do you know what JayTi looks like? No? Then you wouldn't even need Photoshop - just post a pic from the internet, even one from MWSF!

A demand for "a photo as proof" simply shows ignorance, not investigative skills. Use your neurons, dude ......

iBorg

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2003, 03:33 AM

Look. If Jay says he has a 17" powerbook then he has one.

Sean said it, and I say it. Jay doesn't lie.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2003, 03:36 AM

A demand for "a photo as proof" simply shows ignorance, not investigative skills. Use your neurons, dude ......
[/B]
I'm not trying to win a trial, just suggesting that some additional evidence in the form of photos would help to back up his claim. It's up to each individual to evaluate the evidence and make up their mind if they think it's credible or not. OJ Simpson can tell you all about evidence and how black is white and up is down.

Would a photo(s) alone prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that he has a 17"? Nope. Would it help make his case? You bet yer ass it would. Of course he isn't obligated to prove he has it, and if I were in his shoes I guess I'd be pissed off at this point too.

Enough is enough. I rest my case, I'm done with this nutty thread.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2003, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by murbot:
Someone casts a little doubt on this guy... and you go and say something like that?

Pathetic.
You're making it seem like iChristopher and Bodhi didn't do anything wrong. They were rather insulting and sarcastic. Just like they feel they have the right to call Jay on his lack of proof, I feel I have a right to call them on their disgustingly rude attitude. I am also very disappointed that you would say something like this. As I mentioned before, you're not mentioning how rude and callous they were to Jay.

Insecurity runs rampant in today's societies. It causes people to lie and lose their trust in words' face value. The world would be a better place without it, but we will never learn to trust each other completely without proof. It's almost like religion. Without substantial proof, no one believes anything anymore. It's truly a sad thing.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2003, 03:42 AM

I think iChristopher needs to realize that proving things to faceless individuals on an on-line bulletin board is not something iBorg would likely want to spend his Friday night doing. If someone says they can do something, it isn't always necessary for them to prove it. I believe iBorg is very capable at manipulating images in Photoshop. I also believe Jay has a 17-inch PowerBook G4.

If you believe in rumors enough to visit and read this thread thoroughly, apply the same salt you sprinkle onto talk of future product announcements and eat accordingly. There is no reason to be so hostile and sarcastic to a forum member with benevolent intent. Why would he lie?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2003, 04:14 AM

Damn don't you people ever find better things to do?

Anyone who's going to sit here and argue about this guy's laptop is a fraeking moron.

Go play a game or something, your family will thank you.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 04:38 AM

I was rude?

I pointed out that the guy could be yanking everyone's chain...
~Peace~

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2003, 05:08 AM

but you're pointing out he could, he isn't.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 07:32 AM

Geez guys, let's be civil.

Although I have read some of JayTi's posts in the past, and he seemed like a reasonable member of the forum, I don't know him personally. Sean and some other people here seem to (or at least they have contact with him outside of just forum posts). They apparently trust him based on this relationship and that's just fine. But does this mean that other people, who don't know JayTi, are being "out of line" by questioning whether he actually had an unreleased Apple product? I really don't think so. I will admit that some people (not naming any names) have been a little rude, but that doesn't make their doubts any less valid. There was mention just yesterday on Macintouch of a couple of fraudulent ebay auctions of 17" powerbooks by "Mac consultants who got them at a discount". No I am not suggesting that anyone here had anything to do with that -- my point is that people do indeed lie about this kind of thing. Sometimes for profit, sometimes just for kicks. Am I saying that is the case here? No. It could be -- I don't know. But is it so unreasonable to be skeptical?

As for whether a picture would prove anything, I certainly think it would. I have yet to see one picture of the 17" powerbook outside of the macworld "light table" setting. A picture of it in an ordinary household setting would go a long way toward easing my doubts. I mean, think about how many people have posted pictures of their new Tibooks or whatever -- I just saw one the other day even though there are hundreds of thousands of these out there. It does seem a little odd that someone with a rare machine that everyone wants to know about wouldn't be able to spare a few minutes to take a few pictures. Not for proof so much as just to show people what they are like.

applenut1
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I'm dead serious. You guys have a right to be skeptical, but Bodhi is purely lame. It's too bad the people from the AppleInsider forums didn't die with the site.
this coming from the ultimate macnn loser who has blatantly lied time and time again about having "inside information".

you are pathetic.

there is no other word for it.

macnn people are pretty lame and shallow if they are getting their panties in a bunch simply because a few people were skeptical of someone who clearly was not willing to provide any level of proof to show he was telling the truth.

but then again, sean should relate very well to that.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 07:34 AM

Way to be mature, guys

hippy4Aluminium
Banned
Jan 25, 2003, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by applenut1:
this coming from the ultimate macnn loser who has blatantly lied time and time again about having "inside information".

you are pathetic.

there is no other word for it.

macnn people are pretty lame and shallow if they are getting their panties in a bunch simply because a few people were skeptical of someone who clearly was not willing to provide any level of proof to show he was telling the truth.

but then again, sean should relate very well to that.
applenut1 you are a jerk, I personally have a lot of respect for what sean has to say on these boards (one of the few!) so why don't you just **** off....

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 09:25 AM

That's it.

(blows lifeguard whistle)

Out of the pool.

This is a site for discussion, not taking each others' heads off, calling each other jerks, or any of the other aspersions on character you've made at each other.

One more attack post from anyone, and threads get locked.

Want to have doubts? Have doubts. Want to express opinions? Please, do.

If you can't frame those doubts or opinions in such a way that you don't avoid raising the annoyance level of everyone else around you, please think twice before clicking on 'post reply'.

Back on topic to talking about 17" powerbooks, please.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 09:28 AM

So, what's the story on why the speaker grilles on the 17" are so large?

The cones of the speakers can't be that deep, so is all of that area used for speakers?

Do they sound like Bose quality? (I don't see how, but I'm curious nonetheless)

Or does some of the grille area serve another purpose, like ventilation?

Or, speakers have to push air, is some used as a reflex for the speakers, to let air in and out as the speaker moves?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 09:36 AM

so where are the pics??? did I miss something?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
so where are the pics??? did I miss something?
Not a thing, yet. We're still waiting on Jay's boss to bring back the digital camera they use at his office.

JayTi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2003, 10:36 AM

Yes, I do not own a digital camera, sorry--I have absolutely no need for one, therefore I don't, but when I have access to one, I'll take the pics, but I'm not going to run out and buy one just to prove I have a machine, sorry-I just don't care enough.

The grills on the speakers are actually that large because it helps disappate heat from the 'Book better, that is where the heatpipe is transferring most of the heat to, which I think is a great idea. Is that specific enough? Its kind of hard to explain.
Am I still here?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 10:48 AM

We've seen the pictures of the inside of the 12" powerbook, with the processor on the left side, and hard drive under the lower left palmrest.

Where is the processor and hard drive in the 17" ?

Is the hard drive in the 17" a user upgradeable part like it has been in the 15.2" ?

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 11:10 AM

no biggie...i just thought i missed something. you said you work for apple? What is it that you do?

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 11:17 AM

Cincojoe, please give JayTi a break.

He clearly stated in the first three messages of the thread that he only wanted to answer that question once and gave some information.

Somewhere near the middle of this thread he stated his exact job title and badge number. I believe he's given us all the information he's willing to share in an open forum.

If you (like I) would like to know about about his job and working at Apple, please contact him directly and privately.

Many of us here are eagerly awaiting JayTi to run some tests and give us insight into the new computer.

Thanks....please, just read the previous posts thoroughly.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 11:19 AM

my bad....

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 11:23 AM

Aight, let me ask the ultimate question: Does it come with a firewire 800 to firewire (400) adapter?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by JayTi:
The grills on the speakers are actually that large because it helps disappate heat from the 'Book better, that is where the heatpipe is transferring most of the heat to, which I think is a great idea. Is that specific enough? Its kind of hard to explain.
That seems to make a lot of sense. I'm just wondering if the speakers don't mind getting that hot...?

Oh yeah, I'd like to second Vmarks' last questions. Could you tell us about where the internals are mounted? If you get that camera and find some time to take a couple of shots, could you open the PB and take some pics of the interals too? I know, it takes a torx and some time but it sure would be cool.

BTW and OT: Congrats on that new PB and the way you are handling some of the replies here. Enjoy your new machine and don't let some jealous and rude brats spoil the moment. You aren't obligated to prove anything here. If you can show some intereting pics however, feel free. I suppose I'm not the only guy here who wants to see the new Macs

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by legionare:
Aight, let me ask the ultimate question: Does it come with a firewire 800 to firewire (400) adapter?
I thought Steve mentioned during his MWSF keynote that it would ship with such an adapter.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 11:35 AM

I just read the post and I take my last post back.

I and everyone else on here has every right to be skeptical about this post. You have a guy who comes on here and post that he got the 17" book, answers a few questions about it, questions that people know already from giong to the expo but he can't post a simple pic of the thing? You work for apple and there is only one digital camera in the entire office? No one in your family or friends have a camera you can borrow? No one else in the office has one? Come on dude...give me a break. If you were so damn eager to get on here and tell us that you got the laptop, I find it hard to beleive that you would be just as eager to post pics of it. Maybe I am wrong, maybe he does have this thing but we have a right to question the post.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 11:44 AM

I see nothing at all wrong with Bohdi's comments, I'd say JayTi is just a little sensitive for an anonymous dude interacting with a bunch of anonymous dudes. Some of you act like Bohdi is ruining his good name or something? Who cares, all I care about is where the fvck is my miniPB??? Huh? Apple, I still fooking waiting?

As for AI, AI rocks, macnn is good to, but you don't get the great honor of reading my posts quite as often on MacNN. I haven't been in the lounge for quite a while, did you pick up some of FC's ex-communitaries? I could see how FiBC might make you want to burn dowm AI.

Cheers Murbot!
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
I thought Steve mentioned during his MWSF keynote that it would ship with such an adapter.
I just fast-forwarded to the part of the keynote where Jobs mentioned the firewire 800 on the 17" Powerbook. He said, "Today we are announcing Firewire 800... We got Firewire 400. We got Firewire 800, which of course needs a new adapter. But, guess what, if you want to use Firewire 400, there's this little adapter. You can have two Firewire 400 ports..." That leaves me less than convinced it's shipping with one.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 12:08 PM

Cincojoe wrote:I just read the post and I take my last post back.

I and everyone else on here has every right to be skeptical about this post. You have a guy who comes on here and post that he got the 17" book, answers a few questions about it, questions that people know already from giong to the expo but he can't post a simple pic of the thing? You work for apple and there is only one digital camera in the entire office? No one in your family or friends have a camera you can borrow? No one else in the office has one? Come on dude...give me a break. If you were so damn eager to get on here and tell us that you got the laptop, I find it hard to beleive that you would be just as eager to post pics of it. Maybe I am wrong, maybe he does have this thing but we have a right to question the post.
AND

Matsu wrote:
I see nothing at all wrong with Bohdi's comments, I'd say JayTi is just a little sensitive for an anonymous dude interacting with a bunch of anonymous dudes. Some of you act like Bohdi is ruining his good name or something? Who cares, all I care about is where the fvck is my miniPB??? Huh? Apple, I still fooking waiting?

As for AI, AI rocks, macnn is good to, but you don't get the great honor of reading my posts quite as often on MacNN. I haven't been in the lounge for quite a while, did you pick up some of FC's ex-communitaries? I could see how FiBC might make you want to burn dowm AI.

Cheers Murbot!

Well, that does it.

I said I would lock the thread if you couldn't be civil, and you had to go and bait me.

Posting "If you were so damn eager- blah blah blah"

and "where the f**k is my miniPB"

just inflame the whole discussion. Doubt if you want to, voice your skepticism, but don't raise the temperature of the thread. It serves no purpose.

Thanks for playing, insert 25� for more credits.

Forum Links
Forum Rules