Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New 1Ghz model - sensible purchase for my needs?

New 1Ghz model - sensible purchase for my needs?
page3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 06:40 PM

Hi,

I'm a recent switcher (from Linux and Risc OS - no Windoze here )

I've a 700 Mhz iBook which I'm very happy with. So happy infact that I want to replace my Linux box with a Mac.

I don't need a real power machine as I will be using it for web development, database work and the odd MPEG conversion. No heavy graphical or video work.

I'm very tempted with the single 1Ghz version - but hear all the negative comments here compared to the dual processor models.

Taking my needs into account and remembering I've a 700Mhz iBook which I'm happy with - although it is a bit sluggish, will this be a good buy?

Help needed

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2003, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by page3:
Hi,

I'm a recent switcher (from Linux and Risc OS - no Windoze here )

I've a 700 Mhz iBook which I'm very happy with. So happy infact that I want to replace my Linux box with a Mac.

I don't need a real power machine as I will be using it for web development, database work and the odd MPEG conversion. No heavy graphical or video work.

I'm very tempted with the single 1Ghz version - but hear all the negative comments here compared to the dual processor models.

Taking my needs into account and remembering I've a 700Mhz iBook which I'm happy with - although it is a bit sluggish, will this be a good buy?

Help needed
iMac 800 SuperDrive?

Or how about just a new Firewire hard drive for your iBook, and an external screen (with monitor spanning hack)?

Otherwise as limited as the low end PowerMac seems, I guess it would suit your needs.

page3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
iMac 800 SuperDrive?

Or how about just a new Firewire hard drive for your iBook, and an external screen (with monitor spanning hack)?

Otherwise as limited as the low end PowerMac seems, I guess it would suit your needs.
Thanks for the reply.

I already have a 17" TFT screen and two 120Gb drives I want to use so the iMac doesn't seem ideal.

I need a machine that can stay on 24/7 (web serving / P2P / Firewall etc) so the iBook doesn't really suit either. I do use it with the monitor spanning hack though

conky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 07:17 PM

Maybe try to get your hands on a 867-DP.

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by conky:
Maybe try to get your hands on a 867-DP.
Now that the display prices have come down I am also intersted in the new PM line. Admittedly, I am a PM novice. Question is how beneficial is the dual really? Or DDR 333 for that matter in the DP1.25? I'm coming from the school of Pismo and really just use the iAps and PS Elements occasionally.

Thanks!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 08:38 PM

It is more then you need.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Chun Hsu
Jan 29, 2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by Meadowfield:
Now that the display prices have come down I am also intersted in the new PM line. Admittedly, I am a PM novice. Question is how beneficial is the dual really? Or DDR 333 for that matter in the DP1.25? I'm coming from the school of Pismo and really just use the iAps and PS Elements occasionally.

Thanks!
The DDR probably isn't that big of a deal. Having dual CPU's is nice for multitasking. Think of any task that would normally slow your computer down (doing batch conversion of files using PS Elements). Think how much it's worth it to you to be able to use the second CPU, while the first is busy with Photoshop, iMovie, iDVD, or perhaps ripping MP3's in iTunes. Not usefu for youl? Then I wouldn't buy the duals.

Personally, the duals have worked out very well for me. I occasionally do some Quicktime encoding, and now EyeTV recording. Having the second CPU lets me play games or run a second encoding at the same time without any slowdowns.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 02:45 AM

The 1 GHz G4 will be absolutely fine for what you need it for. A second microprocessor would do absolutely no good in your case.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

superfula
Senior User
Jan 29, 2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
The 1 GHz G4 will be absolutely fine for what you need it for. A second microprocessor would do absolutely no good in your case.
Yeah. OSX isn't multiprocessor aware or anything.

I've been dealing with the same question. But I'm going for the dual 1.25. Simply because the apps you use will add up. And OSX does a great job using both processors. It doesn't matter what apps you use, OSX will utilize both processors in running those apps. I say go dp if you have the money. It will last you longer than the 1ghz will.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 08:29 AM

I have been using for 4 Months now an MDD "loud" 867 with 2x80 GB seagate HD Drives and GF3 Card in it.

Before I have used a Dual 800 with one 80 GB HD and a GF 3 card in it. I have had this machine at the office.

Today I switched the harddrives from the MDD G4 to the Dual800 Machine to see if there where any noticable difference.

There was!!! The Dual 800 seems and feels faster than the MDD G4 machine (with the same HD and OS). I won�t go into details of what is faster!
anyway....
It seems that the 2 MB L3 cache has a big influence on performance compered to the 867 MDD with 1 MB L3 cache and DDR memory. I also ran a Xbench results to compere these 2 models and the Dual 800 scored 2-12 points higher in several test. Only the HDtest was a bit slower but not much!

Any comments!

rstevens
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 09:52 AM

i adore my dual 800 ... these beasts might not have the newest memory tech, but they run incredibly solidy and have plenty of cache. (seeing as they used to be the high-end model)

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 12:17 PM

I urge you to buy just about any new powermac except for the new, single-processor 1Ghz. Even older, dual-prcoessor machines would be better for the uses you listed. Firewire 800 and bluetooth can both be easily added to your powermac for cheap. However, almost no one has need for the newer firewire at the moment. Also, if you do happen to be one of the twelve people with a bluetooth device, you can always add bluetooth support very inexpensively. If you manage to scrounge up an older dp 1Ghz, you'll also spend far less money on RAM.

You probably woudn't be disapointed with the performance of the single gigahertz. However, why not get roughly twice the memory and processing power for the same price? The discontinued machines are a far better deal than the current single processor powermac. Dual processors really do make an incredible difference in everyday OS X tasks.

If I was in the market right now, I'd try to find a dual 800. They have more cache and roughly the same performance of the cache crippled successors. Spend the money you save on more memory and future upgrades.

page3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 01:21 PM

Ok. I have been pursuaded!

If I'm spending �1150 anyway another �400 is manageable. So, I've changed my order for the dual 1.25 model.

Feel poor. But happier

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 03:49 PM

I am about to buy the single 1GHz model over the dual 867Mhz due to AppleStore is no longer selling the old models and no BTO options for retaiers on old models. Meanwhile, I just checked out lowendmac.com and read this article. http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/03/0129.html

I agree, I am now shooting for the new DP 1.25Ghz over the DP 867 and SP 1Ghz. So far, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, and FW800 are useless to me. I know that the old 1.25(High-end) has 2MB L3 cache and 2X SuperDrive standard, but the today's 1.25(mid-range) is better in terms of price/performace.

Hey, I'm just a college student and using an iMac 333. I know that I will be happy with any current model whatsoever, but I don't want a noisy DP 867 sitting next to me.

Just did my homework on the total on AppleStore (edu), with all the 4X SuperDrive, 1 x 512MB, ATI card, and minus 56k modem plus sales tax. It is still cheaper than regular purchase even thought no sales tax but S&H. Is AppleStore still offering free Ground shipping?

BTW, my order comes along the Apple 17" studio display. It will be alot more fun during the Chinese New Year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules