Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > major problem with Entourage: identity theft??

major problem with Entourage: identity theft??
Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 07:46 PM

after a day sleeping, i open up Entourage to get my email. nothing there!!

it like a new install. mail client needs setup, all old email,taska,appointments totally gone.

only item is "welcome to Entourage email"

how could it spontaneously reset?

my son swears he didn't touch it during the day.

please help.
( Last edited by Robster1958; Jan 28, 2003 at 11:04 PM. )
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2003, 07:55 PM

It just doesn't re-set is the problem....is your Microsoft User Data in the right place?

(/Users/User Name/Documents/Microsoft User Data)
( Last edited by gorickey; Jan 28, 2003 at 08:20 PM. )

cowerd
Senior User
Jan 28, 2003, 08:18 PM

you could try changing the thread topic to something a little less drama queenish.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 08:40 PM

Your database might have gotten corrupted. Entourage is NOTORIOUS for corrupting it's own database. There is a utility out there that tries to recover it, I think. Check Versiontracker.

I've had this happen to me a couple of times. It is what made me switch to Mail. If this is indeed what happened to you, I really hope you can recover your mail/contacts/calendar/etc. I was unable to when it happened to me.

Good luck!

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 09:31 PM

Try using "Switch Identity" from the Entourage menu (Entourage v.X) or File menu (Entourage:2001).

Aren't you glad you do regular comprehensive backups?
( Last edited by car1son; Jan 28, 2003 at 09:41 PM. )

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 11:02 PM

the user data folders are there, but they appear empty.

i changed identities back and forth.

interesting comment about this program self-destructive behavior. will do a search for more threads.

as for frequent, comprehensive backups...
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 02:14 AM

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 04:16 AM

I've never had any problems with entourage corrupting--not to say that it doesn't do it, however.

you might try to repair (fsck) the drive and repair permissions just for good measure.

sorry if it's dead.

pabloEskimo
Jan 29, 2003, 08:34 AM

or hold the option key when starting Entourage, that should give you a dialog box to rebuild the database (choose the advanced option)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by pabloEskimo:
or hold the option key when starting Entourage, that should give you a dialog box to rebuild the database (choose the advanced option)
If I recall, this happens before. I think Entourage gets confused sometimes between your different users folders. If you use OS 9 and OS X or at least have. Do a search for all the Microsoft User folders and find the one with your account. Then import that from Entourage. It worked here. (It would always show the e-mails in OS 9 but not OS X because they weren't shared)

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 11:00 AM

I should have asked if you used Entourage:2001 under Classic or Entourage v.X.

If Entourage 2001 in Classice, see AppleCare KnowledgeBase Article 106970

On my OS X system, each account has an Entourage v.X identity with a distinct name (e.g, mine's named "Bruce", not the default "Main Identity".) (This was mostly to make it easy to quickly back-up each account's identity folder without having to figure out whose "Main Identity" was whose.)
On one account (not mine, as it happens), about 1 in 50 logins Entourage will for some reason revert to a clean initial identity, "Main Identity". Since the real data is another identity, a Switch Identity sets things back to normal. I don't know what the effect of that would be if the real data was in "Main Identity". (Of course, there's always the nightly backups if it doesn't.)
Since it's only ever happened on one account, I've assumed it has something to do with the order of Login items surrounding the Microsoft Database Daemon (which is the first process to launch and selects and opens the identity database to use long before you actually launch Entourage v.X) Since it happens so rarely and causes so little harm (and isn't my account!) I haven't tried to pin down the cause.

Forum Links
Forum Rules