Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone played "Frequency" for PS2?

Anyone played "Frequency" for PS2?
imaxxedout
Banned
Feb 1, 2003, 05:20 PM

What a sweet game! I mean, yeah, it was obviously created for complete stoners, but MAN its pretty freaking fun. Challenging, diverse, and the 2 player head-head mode is fun as well! I can't wait to get a few more controllers so I can do 4 player.

- Ca$h

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2003, 05:50 PM

Can anyone post some screenshots of it? I never heard of that game before.

Thrax
Banned
Feb 2, 2003, 03:33 AM

Rez is better. Far more atmosphere.

I hate shooters I hate music games. I hate trance music. Yet, for some reason, I love Rez.

Or it could just be UGA's mind control powers.

Here's a link to the American site.

Rez is available for Dreamcast in Japan and Europe. You can play those versions on an American Dreamcast with a boot disc. (Probably easier to find an import Dreamcast version since the American PS2 version only sold 15,000 copies.)

Oh, and about Frequency, you can play it online if you have a PS2 Network Adapter. Amplitude, its sequel, should be available in March.

Thrax
Banned
Feb 2, 2003, 04:13 PM

Oh, and one more link related to Rez.

Masa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2003, 05:10 AM

Weird synchronicity!!

I was just going to pull out Rez for my friends coming over tonight. I can't believe that the game bombed in sells everywhere, it's one of my favorite games ever. It's such a great mixture of Sega's classic Space Harrier with Tron graphics, sprinkled with great music produced by some of the best dj's around. (I really love Adam Freeland's 'Fear')

Is there a curse on Sega!? Not only did they fail in the hardware, but virtually all of their games have been bombing left and right. I know that the game industry, at least in Japan, is beginning to die out quickly, but unique games like Rez really need to be supported so that we won't end up with inbred overpopulation of the sequels that is really killing the industry. (I absolutely loved Final Fantasy X, but I will not even touch its sequel, Final Fantasy X-2 designed for perverts who get off with polygon chicks in bikinis.)

Thrax
Banned
Feb 3, 2003, 08:05 AM

What's wrong with a fan service RPG?

Seriously, the Dreamcast was destined to fail. Western retailers and consumers alike refused to buy it fearing that it would fail thanks to the string of Sega failures that were Game Gear, Sega CD/Mega CD, 32X, Nomad, and Saturn. Third party developers felt the same way; many of them only published Dreamcast games because Sega waived licensing fees.

In Japan, consumers were angry that Sega introduced a new console while the old one (Saturn) was still popular.

It didn't help that Sega was, for the most part, ignoring existing popular franchises and creating niche games for hard core gamers. (Why wasn't Sonic Adventure ready in time for the Japanese launch?)

Even Sega didn't have much faith in Dreamcast. The company was working with competitors' development kits before the Dreamcast was released.

As for the new software-only Sega, its problem is marketing. It expected to much too soon. EA, Namco, Activision, Konami, et al. have spent years creating and maintaining their brands. Sega is new to this. (Did anyone outside of Sega and Visual Concepts genuinely believe that Sega could take on EA in the sports arena in its second year of direct competition?)

And, as for Rez, it was too much of a niche game to sell much of anything. Trance music is popular only in Europe. Music/dance/rhythm games are a niche genre outside of East Asia. The shooter, save the first-person style in the West and a few Metal Slug-type games, is a dead genre.
( Last edited by Thrax; Feb 3, 2003 at 08:20 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2003, 09:03 AM

Rez is cool. I like it more than Frequency, but both are great games.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

imaxxedout  (op)
Banned
Feb 3, 2003, 03:20 PM

Screw dreamcast.

Anyway, any of you guys play frequency? What levels are you at?

- Ca$h

Thrax
Banned
Feb 3, 2003, 04:33 PM

Which is why I have the PS2 version.

No, don't play Frequency. I hate both music games and electronic music and Sony doesn't have mind control powers.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2003, 04:44 PM

Hmm, we own it.

And a network adapter, some people shure are good at it.

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules