Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virex 7.2 on .Mac page...anybody use yet?

Virex 7.2 on .Mac page...anybody use yet?
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2003, 09:15 PM

Anybody tried the new "eUpdate Virex 7.2" that Apple has as their featured download on the .Mac front page yet?

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2003, 10:41 PM

Ooh thanks for clueing me in, I just started downloading it. Its probably done by the time I finish typing this sentence . . .

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2003, 10:51 PM

UGH!

It requires this ridiculous "sw" folder on your hard disk's main directory, right next to applications and users, etc.

I removed it, and Virex would not launch, I put it back - guess what?! it launches just fine. Then, I flip back and forth just checking and confirming and it seems that Virex 7.2 (at least its new icon is nicer) will not function without the stupid & out of place folder.

two thumbs down.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Feb 6, 2003, 11:41 PM

Here is a better question... anyone actually get a Virus withought the software?

Oh wait... there are no OSX virus'

Pepi Picklefoot
Banned
Feb 6, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:
Here is a better question... anyone actually get a Virus withought the software?

Oh wait... there are no OSX virus'
It is very odd that OS X has virus detection programs...what exactly do they do? How are these companies managing to sell this software? Are people really dumb enough to buy it thinking their Mac running OS X is at risk?

I've never used a virus detection program in my life. I've had at most 3 virus problems since System 1.x on the Mac 128k...none in OS X.

So what exactly do the virus detection programs do on OS X? Are they there to catch PC viruses? Why would anyone pay for software to help their PC friends no get a virus infection? It's their friend's fault for having a PC...but I guess if people want to throw money into wind to help out their buddies bad choice, that's fine with me.

My guess is that they're just very expensive splash screen programs.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Feb 7, 2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Pepi Picklefoot:
Are they there to catch PC viruses? Why would anyone pay for software to help their PC friends no get a virus infection?
No, Mac Virus Apps do not detect PC virus'.

These apps are for anal teenage boys that LOVE to scan their computers thinking they are an expert for doing so.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
UGH!

It requires this ridiculous "sw" folder on your hard disk's main directory, right next to applications and users, etc.

I removed it, and Virex would not launch, I put it back - guess what?! it launches just fine. Then, I flip back and forth just checking and confirming and it seems that Virex 7.2 (at least its new icon is nicer) will not function without the stupid & out of place folder.

two thumbs down.
Agreed.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2003, 12:39 AM

UGH!

What?!

That's the default directory for Fink. What the hell is Virex thinking by intruding on Fink's turf? They could have used a /usr/local/virex folder or something, if they really need something. Unless they're planning on distributing their updates through Fink or something, but why the heck aren't they, you know, using the GUI?

It's a shame. Virex was good on OS9, but on OSX it's a joke. Little -in fact nothing- more than a wrapper around a hacked-up command-line app. It can't even download its own updates. And now they're doing something freaky with Fink?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2003, 12:42 AM

No, Mac Virus Apps do not detect PC virus'.

These apps are for anal teenage boys that LOVE to scan their computers thinking they are an expert for doing so.
Actually, they do detect PC viruses. And macro viruses as well (which Macs using Office v.X are still vulnerable to).

Even if we can't catch viruses -which is due only to the fact that no one in the virus-writing community cares about OSX enough to write one- we can still carry them. So it's good to find and get rid of them anyway.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Feb 7, 2003, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Actually, they do detect PC viruses. And macro viruses as well (which Macs using Office v.X are still vulnerable to).

Even if we can't catch viruses -which is due only to the fact that no one in the virus-writing community cares about OSX enough to write one- we can still carry them. So it's good to find and get rid of them anyway.

You mean PC email virus' right?

Big whoop, they deserve em.

Tiffany Mac
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2003, 01:44 AM

are you serious? Their are no OS X virii?
why does virex and norton have software for virus protection?

this makes no sense
at least 1 must exist

and why can't be contract it?

-Tiffany

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by Tiffany Mac:

this makes no sense
at least 1 must exist

-Tiffany
99% of Mac viruses are actually MS Office macro viruses. There are no viruses (currently) specifically targeted at MacOS X (there are viruses that will infect MacOS 9/Classic environment, but they are rare).

However, if you work in an environment where you share Office or other files with PCs, then it is good form to use anti-viral software as it will help prevent the spread of Office and e-mail viruses... except for the fact that the current anti-viral software offerings for MacOS X are less than stellar in terms of being able to perform such basic functions as monitoring your Inbox (but I digress...).

This is one of the understated big bonuses of using a Mac (IIRC, I recently read that you've just switched, right?) - there are very few Mac viruses, and you are immune to the e-mail viruses that do the rounds as these rely on MS software and hooks in the Windows OS itself to function.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2003, 10:16 AM

Mac viruses are very rare. I wouldn't bother installing anti virus software on your Mac.

I think Virex is the worst of the lot--by far. I wouldn't touch that software with a ten foot poll. In the past its done nasty things to my macs.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 10:31 AM

Yikes! you're right:
PROGRAM FILES INSTALLED

The following files are installed with the Virex software:

/Applications/Virex 7
Virex application folder.

/Applications/Virex 7/Virex 7.2.app
Virex application.

/Applications/Virex 7/ReadMe.rtf
This file.

/Applications/Virex 7/Virex 7.2 Product Guide.PDF
The product manual.

/usr/local/vscanx
Command-line scanner.

/usr/local/scan.dat
Virus definition file.

/usr/local/names.dat
Virus definition file.

/usr/local/clean.dat
Virus definition file.

/usr/local/messages.dat
Messages file.

/usr/local/license.dat
License Agreement file.

/usr/local/share/man/man1/vscanx.1
Command-line help file.

/Library/Frameworks/MacScanner.framework
A Framework folder.

~/Library/Preferences/VirexPrefs.vprf
The Virex Preferences.

/sw/libs/libcurl/.2.0.2.dylib
Companion file.

/sw/libs/libcurl/.2.dylib
Companion file.

/sw/libs/libcrypto.0.9.6.dylib
Companion file.

/sw/libs/libdl.0.dylib
Companion file.

/sw/libs/libssl.0.9.6.dylib
Companion file.

What on earth do they think they are doing?
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2003, 10:48 AM

Every time I launch it it crashes at the start...

Crap!

From Console
---------------
Command: Virex 7.2
PID: 627

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000000b

---------------

-Steve

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by SteveTech:
Every time I launch it it crashes at the start...

Crap!

From Console
---------------
Command: Virex 7.2
PID: 627

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000000b

---------------

-Steve
You have the "sw" folder on the root of your HD?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 11:37 AM

Should've read this thread before I installed this P.O.S. Not knowing Unix, I have no idea how to get rid of that "sw" folder. It's owned by Root.

What's the quickest, safest way to get rid of it?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Pepi Picklefoot
Banned
Feb 7, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Should've read this thread before I installed this P.O.S. Not knowing Unix, I have no idea how to get rid of that "sw" folder. It's owned by Root.

What's the quickest, safest way to get rid of it?
sudo rm -rf sw

What does it all mean?

sudo = 'superuser do'...temporary root privileges

rm = 'remove'

-r = 'recursive'...removes everything inside the folder

-f = 'force'...always good to force things around in UNIX (ok...I shouldn't say that...it's actually to prevent deletion confirmation on every file inside the directory.)

sw = the folder in question...you must be in the same directory as sw to use the command I just gave you.
( Last edited by Pepi Picklefoot; Feb 7, 2003 at 11:48 AM. )

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 11:45 AM

Thanks, Man. I feel dumb now. I already figured out that I could "Get Info" and change ownership to myself, then delete it.

Pepi Picklefoot
Banned
Feb 7, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Thanks, Man. I feel dumb now. I already figured out that I could "Get Info" and change ownership to myself, then delete it.
Hmm...that's another easier alternative. Thanks for reminding me that it exists.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 12:41 PM

You mean PC email virus' right?

Big whoop, they deserve em.
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
Wonder if it's possible to move that /sw somewhere else...
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2003, 12:57 PM

UGH!

Bah, I wouldn't like that. Why would any application need to scatter files all over the hard disk? There are bundled applications in Mac OS X!
And why would Apple themselves promote an application that so seriously undermines OS X' ease of use?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Feb 7, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Tiffany Mac:

this makes no sense
at least 1 must exist

-Tiffany
That's is right, ZERO Mac OSX virus'. ZERO!

Yes there are stupid little Word ones but it asks you when you launch a file if you want Macro's on or off, just say off any you are fine.

This software us useless.

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
You have the "sw" folder on the root of your HD?
Yes I do... I thought it was supposed to stay...

-Steve

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by SteveTech:
Yes I do... I thought it was supposed to stay...

-Steve
You are supposed to have it there (which is gay)...if it's removed, then Virex won't launch. I thought it may be your problem...

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 7, 2003, 03:11 PM

If you have the Developer tools installed then do this:

Code:
% sudo /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /sw
This will set the 'visible' attribute of the file to 'Invisible'. Note, the 'V' is case senesitive, if you did a lower case 'v', then it would make the file visible.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
It looks like they're trying to piggyback off the work of Fink. Still, they shouldn't do it this way; it's a trivial task for them to most those libraries into the application bundle, and then you could move the app around. Unfortunately, because it uses a bunch of command-line crap, those paths are hard-coded in, meaning we can't just hack this one in; the McAfee folks are going to have to get off their rears and actually do this if they really want to do it right.

Seriously, I'm with the others here: why the heck would Apple choose the most un-Mac-like virus program out there to go with their .Mac service? The only reason I could think of would be if they'd had this deal in the works for far longer than any of us knows; Virex was the first anti-virus software out for OSX (obvious rush-job that it is). But why would Apple have delayed for so long, if they'd already made the agreement?

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 7, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
It looks like they're trying to piggyback off the work of Fink. Still, they shouldn't do it this way; it's a trivial task for them to most those libraries into the application bundle, and then you could move the app around. Unfortunately, because it uses a bunch of command-line crap, those paths are hard-coded in, meaning we can't just hack this one in; the McAfee folks are going to have to get off their rears and actually do this if they really want to do it right.
Yea, I'm quite mystified myself. It seems trivial to put those libraries in the App bundle. Then, all the other .dat files that could easily jam in "/Library/Application Support/Virex". About the only thing that makes sense to me that it is buried in the UNIX side of things is the damn command line version - duh. But, They could easily compile that version to have the libraries built in. The total size the the libraries it installs are only 2.3M. not a huge deal to have a little redundancy.

I can understand that they did not want to use the System libraries, as some of the libraries they sue would not be there if there was no BSD layer installed - fine. But, there are obviously better ways to go about what they just did.

chris01
Feb 8, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
The Fink Homepage now has a news item about that problem. If you are interested also read this thread on mcafeehelp.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules