Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Getting terminal to display -

Getting terminal to display -
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 05:11 AM

I just switched my BSD box to a Linux box running Redhat 8.0. Everything works great - in many ways better than BSD. However I do 99% of my work from my Mac via the terminal. Now this may be a dumb question, but whenever I list a man page, the dashes (-) come out as an accented a (�). It doesn't seem to matter what ASCII encoding nor what font I use.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. But does anyone know how to get this to display correctly in the terminal?

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
I just switched my BSD box to a Linux box running Redhat 8.0. Everything works great - in many ways better than BSD. However I do 99% of my work from my Mac via the terminal. Now this may be a dumb question, but whenever I list a man page, the dashes (-) come out as an accented a (�). It doesn't seem to matter what ASCII encoding nor what font I use.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. But does anyone know how to get this to display correctly in the terminal?
you should try the stty command which should fix this . I dont have neither a linux nor OS X but the command you're looking ofr is stty.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 12:10 PM

I would think it's more likely to be fixed by adjusting the $TERM variable. Most terminal programs are capable of virtually everything that is possible on a terminal. However, there are so many different names for these terminals, that you often have to pretend to be a different one to get things to work right. I set my TERM variable to ncsa on my Mac to see all of the colors, etc... and I haven't had any programs claim they don't know what the ncsa terminal is.

Basically, I would recommend looking into the $TERM variable and termcap.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 07:12 PM

STTY had nothing to do with it. I didn't muck around with the termcap though either. I just needed to set Terminal to Unicode in the preferences. Fixed everything.

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:

It seems to me there is an encoding mismatch.
Try typing
Code:
locale charmap
on your Linux box.
Terminal defaults to UTF-8, but you can change to any other encoding.

If you want to change the encoding on the Linux box, set the environment variable 'LANG' .

Contra a barbárie, o estudo; Contra o individualismo, a solidariedade!

Tritium
Feb 8, 2003, 01:28 PM

export LANG=C aughta fix it on the redhat box, especially if you're just logging in through ssh. It comes set to UTF-8 by default which doesn't even work right on the console (!!!!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules