Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook Case Club

12" Powerbook Case Club
richardjanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 04:14 AM

Any recommendations on the new breed of cases and sleeves for the 12" G4 Powerbook?

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 04:22 AM

http://www.sfbags.com/

I am a very big fan of their products and own several SleeveCases. They are well made, not over stated, custom size and fit with lots of options. Reasonably priced with a GREAT staff too. I personally do not like those cases that have the clear plastic window that reveals the Notebook or the Apple logo. That's a bit tacky for me.

xcapekey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 05:50 AM

get a 12inch slip from booqbags

http://www.booqbags.com/ps12.html

they're great cases...lots of padding..perfect fit...sweet design...i put my 12 in there and toss it in my backpack when i go biking or skating...price is great too

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 11:05 AM

I really like that the Waterfield sleeve is specific to the 12" and not just pushing their ibook size as universal, but with all the options I would want (flap, shoulder strap) it gets to be quite pricey.

To any of our posters living in Asia (Icruise, etc.), are there any great bags there that we would be able to order from the states? Having just returned to the states from my homeland of Singapore, I realized that laptop bags there are much more stylish and varied in their design (read: not always black) and quite often not that expensive. I would be interested to see what offerings there are on the other side of the world for the new 12"!

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 11:38 AM

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Japanese Computer Bag Page

Nawoo
Feb 8, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by n_lim:
I really like that the Waterfield sleeve is specific to the 12" and not just pushing their ibook size as universal, but with all the options I would want (flap, shoulder strap) it gets to be quite pricey.

To any of our posters living in Asia (Icruise, etc.), are there any great bags there that we would be able to order from the states? Having just returned to the states from my homeland of Singapore, I realized that laptop bags there are much more stylish and varied in their design (read: not always black) and quite often not that expensive. I would be interested to see what offerings there are on the other side of the world for the new 12"!
ooh a fellow Singaporean. Studying in the US i suppose. Uni?
I kind of like the waterfield bags especially the iPod casings.
Thinking of ordering the Ipod case together with the sleeve because i'll be going to the US for University studies this fall and i'm selling off my PC to get the Powerbook.

mikeylebeau
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 12:41 PM

Nawoo, where ya heading for university, do you know yet? We have more Singaporeans than I can count here at the University of Chicago.

-mikey
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

Nawoo
Feb 8, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by mikeylebeau:
Nawoo, where ya heading for university, do you know yet? We have more Singaporeans than I can count here at the University of Chicago.

-mikey
You singaporean too?

I'm not so talented. Applied for Georgia Institute of technology (uncle lives there. can save on living expenses)
And also the University of texas at Austin.

Waiting for results with earnest longing.

mikeylebeau
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 01:44 PM

No, just curious. I know a lot of Singaporeans here (they keep less to themselves than most of the Asian crowd, and are generally very friendly, if sometimes hard to understand ) and one of my suitemates last year was from Singapore.

-mikey
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2003, 02:47 PM

Well, I haven't seen much specially made for the 12" yet -- I think the manufacturers are still gearing up. There are ones like the "tacky" ibook bag with the plastic window

We may not see nearly as many 12" bags since the ibook bags fit pretty well -- it's not like with the 17" where nothing will fit it unless it is specially made.

I am thinking of just getting one of the powersleevz from www.radtech.us when they release their 12" model. I have a little pouch in my backpack where I could put the computer itself, but I need a little more protection.

rishio
Feb 8, 2003, 02:56 PM

I think the timbuk2 bags and the waterfield bags are great. I have the waterfield medium cargo bag with the widescreen sleeve. I personaly prefer the styling and design of the waterfield bags (www.sfbags.com)over timbuk2 but they are both really great bags.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 03:29 PM

I'm in Hong Kong, and I still ordered the Sleevecase from Waterfield for my 12" PowerBook. I haven't found anything locally that comes close to the protection and quality of the Waterfield products.

There's another company in Australia that's started making some pretty cool (i.e. not black) bags as well, but they are on the expensive side. Go to:
http://www.crumpler.com.au/

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 03:33 PM

Hi Nawoo,

Yes, Singaporean by birth, lived in the states since 10, full citizen here now (did not have the money to defer NS, they wanted US$150K at the time!). In grad school studying architecture at Syracause University.

Back on thread: I also do not like the little window bags, but something sleek like a hardcase with neoprene paddded lining would be ideally what I am looking for. Something like a caselogic cd case, but made for laptops, have never seen anything like it, but I think that would be ideal and match the sleekness of the powerbook. I might be in the minority for wanting a hardcase for my powerbook, as I also prefer hardcase luggage to the softbags that are ever so prevalent now. Imagine if Zero Haliburton made a sleeve!!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by rishio:
I personaly prefer the styling and design of the waterfield bags over timbuk2 but they are both really great bags.
Almost the opposite for me. I prefer the customizable look of Timbuk2 for bags but prefer WaterField for the sleeves. I thus carry my iBook in a WaterField SleeveCase inside a blue/green/yellow Timbuk2 Pee Wee. When I get a 12-inch PowerBook, I'll definitely get another WaterField SleeveCase.

Originally posted by Sean Li:
There's another company in Australia that's started making some pretty cool (i.e. not black) bags as well, but they are on the expensive side. Go to:
http://www.crumpler.com.au/
Wow! Those Aussie bags are waaayy cool. Wack-O-Phone, Very Busy Man, Blunderbus and Heinous! You've gotta love those names. What's an AUD cost in the US (or what's a US$ worth in Australia)?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Wow! Those Aussie bags are waaayy cool. Wack-O-Phone, Very Busy Man, Blunderbus and Heinous! You've gotta love those names. What's an AUD cost in the US (or what's a US$ worth in Australia)?
Approximately 1.7 AUS$ for 1 US$. Having said that their web prices include GST; I don't know how much that is nor whether they don't charge GST for overseas shipping.

Or you could always fly to Australia towards the end of the month for their "Beer for Bags" sale. Buy beer, go to their store, and swap for selected bags.

penmanila
Feb 8, 2003, 11:11 PM

it wasn't a hard case (i prefer soft but sturdy ones), but i used a case logic neoprene laptop case--and also a case logic neoprene sleeve, both of them very handsome and understated--for my tibook. i also live in asia, inthe philippines, and i got the case logic bags in hong kong for, oh, about US$15? (one of the great things about living in this part of the world).

there's another case that suits the 12-inch perfectly: the now-cult-classic wetsuit 2.0, also neoprene, that people have used with powerbook duos and 2400c's (am a certified subportable powerbook addict, and have had more duos and 2400c's than you can shake a stick at, not to mention an ibook and tibook). these used to go for as much as $30 on ebay--but i looked a few days ago and found them selling for as low as $5 new! they're great because they have a reinforced top to protect the screen. a couple of years ago, i saw a mountain of them on sale here in the philippines for $2 each brand-new, and bought 4; shoulda bought up the pile and made a fortune, but that's another story....

at any rate, for my new 12-inch (still in the states, and about to make its looong way back to asia), i've ordered a powersleeve12 from booqbag. took one look at it and fell in love--and not bad for $39!

something sleek like a hardcase with neoprene paddded lining would be ideally what I am looking for. Something like a caselogic cd case, but made for laptops, have never seen anything like it, but I think that would be ideal and match the sleekness of the powerbook.
( Last edited by penmanila; Feb 8, 2003 at 11:24 PM. )

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by xcapekey:

they're great cases...lots of padding..perfect fit...sweet design...i put my 12 in there and toss it in my backpack when i go biking or skating...price is great too
I saw an announcement about this bag yesterday on the MacNN web site and wondered if it would be any good. I'm not looking to spend more than $40 for a bag and the PowerSleeve12 just looks too good to be true. I especially like the fact that it has a flap instead of a zipper and that the PowerBook goes into it sideways (a reply from the company confirmed this fact) so that the charging port is easily accessible while the PB is in the bag.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2003, 01:03 PM

For Escher:

Crumpler has a US webpage also, with corresponding inflated US prices: Crumpler USA

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by xcapekey:

Nice! That is one cool, well done case! Thanks for the link. I just ordered the PowerSleeve12. I hope it will fit my MiniBook, A/C Adapter and maybe my iPod.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by StiZeven:
Nice! That is one cool, well done case! Thanks for the link. I just ordered the PowerSleeve12. I hope it will fit my MiniBook, A/C Adapter and maybe my iPod.
Can you post back when you get it and let us know what you think of it and how much room is available for accessories?

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by TheBum:
Can you post back when you get it and let us know what you think of it and how much room is available for accessories?
Yes, I definitely will. I have a feeling that the Booq Case will get here before my MiniBook does!

nila mu'hari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by richardjanus:
Any recommendations on the new breed of cases and sleeves for the 12" G4 Powerbook?
yes: http://www.spireusa.com/
best, n.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2003, 10:49 AM

For Escher: Crumpler has a US webpage also, with corresponding inflated US prices: Crumpler USA
Thanks for the link, n_lim. Even though the prices may be inflated, they save you the hassle of shipping from overseas and let you deal with a US company. And I have to admit, even the inflated US prices seem reasonable in comparison with prices for Timbuk2 and other cool-looking bags. I'll keep Crumpler in mind when I'm looking for a new bag (not anytime soon, hopefully).

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

MrK
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 12:44 PM

Please, don't be cheap with your new baby. The best cases made for any Apple, period are by Willow Design. This is my fourth case from them and I love it. My only complaint is that it has a small spacer in the case to fit the new 12" PB and is not "perfect sized" like the slipcase I had for the Ti and the iBook. But it is light and has a lifetime guarantee.

Willow Apple Catalogue

The case I got with a VERY useful expandable puch, these are also available in a verticle carry orientation...

Courtney Very stylish little reflective stripe has been added to the outside of the case this redesign and is great for walking around in the city at night, makes you visible to drivers. I recommend this highly, I just used mine for a weekend trip and it was GREAT.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by MrK:
Please, don't be cheap with your new baby. The best cases made for any Apple, period are by Willow Design. This is my fourth case from them and I love it. My only complaint is that it has a small spacer in the case to fit the new 12" PB and is not "perfect sized" like the slipcase I had for the Ti and the iBook. But it is light and has a lifetime guarantee.

Willow Apple Catalogue

The case I got with a VERY useful expandable puch, these are also available in a verticle carry orientation...

Courtney Very stylish little reflective stripe has been added to the outside of the case this redesign and is great for walking around in the city at night, makes you visible to drivers. I recommend this highly, I just used mine for a weekend trip and it was GREAT.
To be honest, I am not loving the styling of these cases. I think the white lines throw it all off and interrupt the flow of the bag. I find both the Booq and the WaterFeild designs (which I also have) to be nicer (IMHO). For me, it's not about the money. I'd get the Booq whether it was $40 or $80.

But, to each their own!

richardjanus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 12:48 PM

Just received my Booq 12" case/sleeve. I like it for short accessory-free trips plus it will fit neatly inside a larger carry on bag.

I guess I'm turning into a case junkie, though. I'm already looking to some of the others for use in different cirumstances like long trips, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules