Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > agp graphics and radeon 9000

agp graphics and radeon 9000
captain swing
Feb 19, 2003, 09:58 PM

i have an agp powermac g4/400. i just bought a radeon 9000 and a 17 in studio display. the display will not work. this is , i assume, because the agp card slot is not "powered."

or could there be other reasons .. before i buy a DVI to ADC adapter?

swing

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 05:48 PM

There is no way to get it to work. The Sawtooth logicboard does not have the additional slot to power the ADC, the first ones were the DA logicboards. I don't even think and ADC-DVI adapter will help if that display is an ADC display.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

captain swing  (op)
Feb 21, 2003, 09:00 AM

thanks

i hope you are wrong
i have now ordered the DVI/ADC adapter! that adapter, as i understand it, has its own power supply.

this site seems to suggest that it will work, although i might be missing the point:

http://www.barefeats.com/sawgraf.html

also see the following apple support page:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75286

what do you think?

swing

emdash
Feb 21, 2003, 04:47 PM

As the owner of a Sawtooth 450, this is something I'm keenly interested in.

captain swing, the part you need is a DVI -> ADC conterter like Dr. Bott's DVIator or the one from Apple (I think Gefen makes one too). These converters include power supplies that you plug in separately to provide juice for the Studio Display. You would plug your converter into the DVI port (not the ADC port) on the Radeon and then plug the display into the converter.

What I'm curious about is whether, as Bare Feats indicates, you cannot ever use the Radeon 9000 to run two DVI monitors on a Sawtooth. Couldn't you plug an ADC -> DVI converter (one of the $40 ones that simply strips out the power part of ADC) into the ADC port on the Radeon and still get a usable DVI signal out of it? It seems reasonable to me -- but maybe there's more to it than I know.

Anyone know a reason why this wouldn't work? Anyone tried it?

captain swing  (op)
Feb 22, 2003, 10:42 AM

many thanks

yes that is also as i understand it. a good point about the second monitor. there is also, i understand, some issue using the converter, with resolutions other than 1280 x1024.

my adaptor should be here from apple within a few days so i will post the results.

swing

lars-man
Feb 22, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
There is no way to get it to work. The Sawtooth logicboard does not have the additional slot to power the ADC, the first ones were the DA logicboards. I don't even think and ADC-DVI adapter will help if that display is an ADC display.
There is a little mistake. The first G4 supporting ADC were those Gigabit Ethernet G4 (400MHz/2x450MHZ/2x500MHz), officially released in Summer 2000 on Macworld New York. Even the Cube was able to support those ADC displays, an this little machine was presented on MWNY 2000, too.

Lars

----------------
Just a german studnet with few english acknowledge

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 06:40 PM

I know that my G4 Cube supported ADC because I had the 17" ASD.
Agent69

Forum Links
Forum Rules