Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3 ?

10.3 ? (Page 2)
godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 03:14 AM

reiterating:

Fix the finder

Anything you can do to view files in a finder window, I want to be able to do in open/save dialog boxes. resize columns, view by date/type/etc. switch to list view, or icon view, etc etc.

For some odd reason I can never get discs to burn right on my iomega zip 650 usb burner. never. toast works fine, the finder and itunes do not. I'd like this fixed.

a new ichat with support for icq.

I don't care about safari being built in, it loads up fast enough and is slim enough that it doesn't bother me.

speed speed speed

I want spellcheck as I type to work EVERYWHERE.

I want to roll my own contextual menus.

I want more customization options. I don't expect apple to allow themes, but I'd like to change my finder font, change the background to windows in column view, etc etc. in fact, the latest iteration of pathfinder really is the "finder I always wanted"

i want some kind of active desktop kind of function.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:

a new ichat with support for icq.
Won't happen. iChat is for novice users who just want to talk to their AIM buddies.

I don't care about safari being built in, it loads up fast enough and is slim enough that it doesn't bother me.
If Safari is built in, wouldnt it have to replace the Finder (a la Windows?) I don't want that.

I want spellcheck as I type to work EVERYWHERE.
Developers have to incorporate it in their apps.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

JLL
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2003, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by tikki:
Won't happen. iChat is for novice users who just want to talk to their AIM buddies.
ICQ is owned by AIM, and the AIM client is expected to support ICQ very soon (if it isn't already), so I can't see why iChat couldn't support ICQ too.

Developers have to incorporate it in their apps.
They can't do that in Carbon apps.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 11:14 AM

now thats weird. i didn't think that that actually posted last night. stupid safari.

Pepi Picklefoot
Banned
Feb 23, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by JLL:

They can, but they won't. Shame. I hate Carbon!

Moose
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 01:49 PM

If Safari is built in, wouldnt it have to replace the Finder (a la Windows?) I don't want that.
Uh, no. Having WebKit as a system-wide framework for rendering HTML will not require that the Finder make use of it just because Microsoft did the same thing with IE4/Win98.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2003, 02:49 PM

So that's about 30 votes for a Finder that isn't crap.

- Full Multithreading
- Reliable server connections
- Reconnect to server after reboot option
- FTP read/write
- Finder windows ALWAYS show correct contents!
- Preview drawer
- Labels of some sort
- More metadata / file information
- Improved Open With...
- More contextual menus - View Options, etc
- Choice of Get Info style. I hate the new window!!
- More dock-aware
- Choice of tighter icon grid alignment

The Help Viewer is a waste of everyone's time. Slow and has no useful information. Apple should rethink its online Knowledge Base in a major way...

I've given up hoping for more speed though. OS X will stay slow, only the machines will get faster.

Chris

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 05:09 PM

Hmmm. OS X has gotten much faster with each point release, so I don't see why you'd give up.

(Not fast enough, mind you. But it does keep getting faster.)

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2003, 05:18 PM

What i would like to see in 10.3 is VPN support. I think it would be very useful to easily establish a VPN. It would be great to have a really secure network over Airport or being able to create a secure "virtual local" network with friends or your family over the internet.
Just type in the IP or dyndns address and OS X establishes a VPN. That would require OS X to have an integrated VPN server (maybe with rendezvous ?).

The finder should support sftp and scp and there should be an easy way to set up ssh and ssh tunnelling.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2003, 06:17 PM

How about face recognition? So I don't have to type my password. The computer will know its me and log me in automatically.

barbarian
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 06:26 PM

- Full Multithreading
- Reliable server connections
- Reconnect to server after reboot option
- FTP read/write
- Finder windows ALWAYS show correct contents!
- Preview drawer
- Labels of some sort
- More metadata / file information
- Improved Open With...
- More contextual menus - View Options, etc
- Choice of Get Info style. I hate the new window!!
- More dock-aware
- Choice of tighter icon grid alignment

Except for the preview drawer which I don't like:

-Objects dropped onto the desktop show up at the drop off point (right now if you drag and drop a photo from Safari, for example, it shows up underneath the drive icons).

-Drive icons stay where you leave them.

-Syncing option for folders with same names.

-Option to replace or keep "most recent"; when copying

-If there is an error with a folder full of files, the error should be noted, but you should have the option to copy the rest of the files.

-ability to share documents over a network with read/write for everyone you decide.

-When you make a new folder with a contextual menu it is made at the cursor point.

-ability to show running apps in menubar (with once click switching and double click switch and hide others).

-smarter navigation in column view. (the columns always seem to be moving around in such a way as to cut off critical info even when there is plenty of window space available.

-ability to choose finder font.

-ability to choose finder font sizes down to 9 points.

-ability to see quickly see which users are connected to your computer via the menu.

-tabs

-live filtering of windows

-live searching for local drives (start typing and the items start coming up)

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2003, 06:39 PM

Does no one have an idea what is actually planned for 10.3? Presumeably the work has advanced to the point that some intelligence re: features/performance would start to leak out. I don't think I've heard anything even purporting to be reliable in that regard. What, as they say, gives?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Moose
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
I don't think I've heard anything even purporting to be reliable in that regard. What, as they say, gives?
Perhaps some people are starting to respect their contractual obligations.

Well, we can dream, can't we?

silvergun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 01:51 PM

openGL quartz exreme maximised to make a 3D desktop where it all ripples like water in realtime and folders appear like water droplets with reflecting surroundings. also depth of field so folders in the background move into the distance making more room on a cluttered desktop...also 64 bit support and better for 3d software and support from lightwave, maya and hopefuly softimage

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
ICQ is owned by AIM, and the AIM client is expected to support ICQ very soon (if it isn't already), so I can't see why iChat couldn't support ICQ too.
If AIM does it on the backend, yes it will work, but i don't really see Apple touting iChat as a Proteus competitor.

I am pretty sure they can with a wrapper.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

jcb9
Feb 24, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
Moreover, I don't think anything should be in the dock except running applications on the computer. I think it would be more intuitive to only show applications running on the computer in the dock.
Err, if you want that, just don't put anything in the Dock. Then, you'll have nothing there but running apps. Well, and the Finder and Trash, of course.

Personally, I like using the Dock as a launcher for my frequently used applications, and if the OS would only show running apps in it, well, I'd be irritated.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2003, 01:21 AM

to be perfectly honest... I'm glad apple doesn't listen to us that much

Is there anyone who can honestly say that some of the features some people have requested do not make them absolutely CRINGE?

I can't wait to hear about 10.3 should be pretty darned spiffy... wonder if they'll find any more system resources to pull in to make the OS Faster... aside from possibly more multi threading... if that'll make it faster though I really hope they multi thread the finder...

Personally I would like an option to turn off some of the things that make my user experince so much slower...
Then again wait till I get my 12 inch PB... then I shall start complaining with real resaon to

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 02:48 AM

Moreover, I don't think anything should be in the dock except running applications on the computer. I think it would be more intuitive to only show applications running on the computer in the dock.
I've come to REALLY like the way the dock combines the launcher and a task bar of sorts. You kinda develop a memory of which app is where on the dock, and when you want to switch back to a hidden app or something, say, photoshop or mail, you know exactly where to go to. Whereas on a windows task bar, it depends on the sequence which apps are opened and closed which leads to inconsistent placement of apps along the bar.

But what the other poster is right, if you don't like the way it is, just drag all the apps from the dock.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 03:54 AM

Has anyone said an officially supported Theme Switcher yet?

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by His Dudeness:
Has anyone said an officially supported Theme Switcher yet?
The Duality Milestone (4 I think) works very well. I installed it a long time ago and it's always been there as if it's been part of the OS.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:
What i would like to see in 10.3 is VPN support....
Um, not sure if this is what you're after, but you can set up a VPN connection via the Internet Connect app. It's there under File -> New VPN connection...

I was pretty chuffed when I found this. It does seem to work with mail and server conections, but web browsers don't seem to recognise it. Still, there's a College web-cache for that...

Hope this helps,

biscuit

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by biscuit:
Um, not sure if this is what you're after, but you can set up a VPN connection via the Internet Connect app. It's there under File -> New VPN connection...
That's only the client software (PPtP). I would like to have a VPN server in OS X to set up a VPN and not only to connect to an existing VPN.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 12:49 PM

A better (properly threaded) Finder, obviously. There is just no way the finder should completely hang for 10-30 seconds because I open a window...

Better Open/Save dialogs (amen). Perhaps adding the browser bar elements like regular windows have? (Or allowing it as a preference.) I have become quite used to hitting the 'home' icon on a window, it seems inconsistent that when I go to save I can't do the same thing.

Scheduled wake/sleep, startup/shutdown options in Energy Saver.

A preference to show server and/or volume name (and/or icon), in the window title bar. For those times when you are copying between your (local) Documents folder and your (remote) Documents folder, etc.

A preference for a window to show its absolute path (like Pathfinder does).

A save state on shutdown option

Ability to pause and resume Finder tasks. This would be retained by the save state option so if you start copying a gig of stuff off a server onto your laptop, you can pause the copy task, save state, shut down, restart, click 'resume' on the copy window, the finder reconnects to the server and completes the download.

Originally posted by barbarian:
If there is an error with a folder full of files, the error should be noted, but you should have the option to copy the rest of the files.
Amen to that.

Properly working ftp read/write in the Finder would be nice. I use Transmit for my web site admin, but basic gui ftp in the Finder is a useful feature.

Completely rewritten help app. There is nothing less helpful than having the help app lock up for two minutes after clicking on a topic.

From the POV of switchers and other new users, the Finder and the Help app are particularly embarassing for Apple - there is no way they should perform so badly, it is very frustrating and bad PR for OS X.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by wulf:
A better (properly threaded) Finder, obviously. There is just no way the finder should completely hang for 10-30 seconds because I open a window...
10-30 seconds? That would be nice
Dragging a single file out of a finder window sorted by type completely hangs the finder for over an hour! (if you have a lot of files in that folder)

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 01:25 PM

I would like tabbed windows for all applications, available beneath the title bar and anchored to the left-hand side. It would be perfect when having six or seven Photoshop files open at a given time, eliminating the need to 'minimize' and fill up the dock. That would be perfect.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
10-30 seconds? That would be nice
Dragging a single file out of a finder window sorted by type completely hangs the finder for over an hour! (if you have a lot of files in that folder)

(makes mental note never to start using sort by type...)

Fdanna
Feb 25, 2003, 03:30 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has already suggested this, but what about tabbed finder windows (a-la-chimera). It would certainly reduce desktop clutter and you can still implement drag and drop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules