Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got my new iBook

Just got my new iBook
Richelieu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 02:14 PM

Hi all,

I just bought my first Mac: an iBook 800MHz 12". I have some questions...

But first, let me introduce myself. I've used Windows for the last 15 years (3.1 to XP). I'm now a database developper (Oracle). I still have a Windows XP Pro desktop at home (Duron 650MHz 384MB) and I use a Windows 2000 Pro desktop at work (P4 1.6GHz 512MB).

I was thinking about buying a new AlBook 12" but, after reading about its problems, I've decided to save my money and buy a new iBook.

For now, I have the stock configuration (128MB), but I have already order 512MB from www.18004memory.com and an airport card from my local reseller. I'm also going to buy a Linksys 802.11b router by the end of this week.

And now my first question:

How long does it take to charge the battery for the first time?

BTW: My new iBook came with a complete iLife (2 CD-ROM) in the box.

YM
YM

Draco
Feb 26, 2003, 04:11 PM

Congratulations! Just curious, where did you buy it from?

ebisix
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 04:56 PM

Congrats! I can't wait until I finally switch...

Richelieu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 08:14 PM

I bought it from a local reseller here in Quebec City (Canada) call Micrologic Campus. Since I work for Laval University, I got the educational discount ($1919 canadian). I order the airport card from them too ($114 canadian).

Wow, this laptop looks good (my mother already want to buy it off me when I'll change it in some years...).

But, I'm glad I bought a MS optical wheelmouse for it: I hate 1 button trackpad

Thanks for the reply, now it's time to update my iBook...
YM

Richelieu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 08:35 PM

While I'm waiting for the Quicktime update...

How can I see what component of OS X have been installed on my iBook? I want to know if the BSD subsystem is installed.

Thanks.
YM

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2003, 08:46 PM

hi and welcome. ibook is amazing huh? i absolutely love my ibook.

about the battery. i read that your should run it down, charge it up, run it down, charge it up and then run it down, to condition it.

i did that it sure seems to have worked. i get just over 4 hours with airport on.

about the bsd thingy, i got no idea sorry.

Richelieu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 09:05 PM

My first post from my iBook!!! Wow Safari is way faster than IE.

Thanks for the reply mdc, I'm already running it down now before I recharge it overnight...
YM

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Richelieu:
While I'm waiting for the Quicktime update...

How can I see what component of OS X have been installed on my iBook? I want to know if the BSD subsystem is installed.

Thanks.
Just open Terminal.app in /Applications/Utilities to access the BSD subsystem. It should be there by default. If it's not, install it using the BSD.pkg on one of the installation disks.

You can also take a look at /Library/Receipts to see what install packages have been run.

pinou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Richelieu:
My first post from my iBook!!! Wow Safari is way faster than IE.

Thanks for the reply mdc, I'm already running it down now before I recharge it overnight...
Hi Richelieu,

I'm living in Quebec city
I bought my ibook at Micrologic campus...
...such a small word!

Don't forget to burn a CD with your Combo and verify if the maximum burning speed is really 16X.
If you burn a full CD in 20 minutes at 16X, you have the same problem as me and a lot of people. The combo doesn't work properly and is stuck at something like 4X!

Call Apple or the reseller if you see a strange behavior

Bonsoir et � la prochaine!
Daniel

Richelieu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 10:02 AM

Thank you alien, the bsd subsystem is installed.

Pinou: Merci pour les informations.

OK, last night I updated to 10.2.4, installed iLife, Safari, MS Office v.X test drive (while I'm waiting for my real version), MS Remote Desktop Connection (to connect to my WinXP box at home). I've also ripped some CDs, all of this on battery power WOW!

Tonight, I will try to print on my Epson 670 (by using GIMP-PRINT) connected by usb on my WinXP box.

If my AirPort card arrive before the weekend, I will install my Linksys router and try to make everything works...

Thanks to all for the replies.

Now if only 18004memory could ship my 512MB of RAM...
YM

jesses584
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 08:37 PM

I just bought the wireless linksys router. It was SO easy to install. Now i dont have my lap top yet so i cant say anything about connection speeds and such but installation was a breeze!
jess
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
-Eramus

Richelieu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 11:02 PM

I just setup my Linksys wireless router too and it was fairly easy (got a stupid wiring problem but I resolved it). I haven't setup the wireless part since I'm waiting for my AirPort card. It should arrive next week as my 512MB RAM upgrade...

Today, I connected my digital camera (Sony DSC-P30 1 MP) and transfering my pictures in iPhoto and organizing them was a breeze!

For now, I've only used iTunes and iPhoto, but i can't wait to try iMovie...
YM

Forum Links
Forum Rules