Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine

Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine
funkboy
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2003, 03:50 PM

Not a follow-up to my strange mountain happenings topic, but rather - what do you think of the Doors?

Personally, I find their music some of the most interesting "pop" music ever made, if you want to call it pop - it was at least very popular at the time.

Technically, I think their playing was outstanding, and their overall aura is unmatched. Things in their recordings like occasional flub-ups in solos simply gave the music more texture and personality - I think the music itself was simply a great exercise in having a dark, moody attitude without making their music totally incomprehensible.

Does anyone have any Doors stories to tell?

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 9, 2003, 04:30 PM

They're one of my fav bands. The first girl I kissed was while listening to 'the end'. I have quite a few of their CDs, a lot of MP3s, and one album on vinyl.

- Ca$h

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 04:50 PM

The Doors was and still is an incredible band. I still kick myself in the ass for not visiting Jim Morrisons grave when I was in France for a little while in the Navy

I've always loved the late 60's/early 70's stuff though. The Doors, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc., etc. Probably because when I was growing-up my sister was something of a hippie chick. It's the same sound I still enjoy. I basically follow everything from classic rock to metal to "alternative" and so forth. Anything with great guitar, bass, vocals and drums, and (in the case of the Doors) Organ or Synthesizer. RUSH was also pretty good with that combination of sounds.

Anyway yeah "The Doors"

I was just watching "The Doors" movie with Val Kilmer a week or so ago also.

MikeM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 06:20 PM

Also a big fan. I think I have all their stuff on CD. I think that The Doors are also one of the most underrated bands from their time. If you notice on all those Rock & Roll history documentaries and such, The Doors are lucky to get a quick sound byte, let alone any time spent on their impact to music and culture. It's too bad.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 07:02 PM

When I was in high school (89 - 92), it seemed like every girl I knew had a picture of Jim Morrison, or even posters of Jim, in their bedrooms.

My best friend listened to them religiously, read really ridiculous books on german philosophy and wrote his own terrible alcohol-pot fueled poetry (mostly about flowers), and was obsessed with the pseudo-world of Jim Morrison to the point that when the movie came out (by Oliver Stone), he was sort of pissed off that it was gonna be in the mainstream headlights. Pissed off for months. And then he grew out of the Doors a bit, but he's still a hippie at heart.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

tintub
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 07:21 PM

The Doors rule.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2003, 07:28 PM

When I was in Paris last summer, I went out to the Cimeti�re du P�re Lachaise to make a pilgrimage to Jim Morrison's grave. It was kind of wild ... there were a good number of mourners there, mostly kind of Druid-looking people who were dressed all in black. Nearly everybody there was way too young to have actually ever seen the Doors in person. There were dead flowers everywhere, and the cemetery keeps a security guard at the site to prevent vandalism (which has apparently been a real problem over the years). Weird and surreal, all in all.

After that, I headed over to visit Oscar Wilde's grave, which is in the same cemetery. The crowd there was much more fun ... apparently, when you visit Wilde's tomb, the ritual is to put on some bright red lipstick, and then plant a wet, sloppy one right on the stone! (There was an eager young Texan named Cliff there who offered to do my lips for me, but I decided I was too inhibited .)

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 10, 2003, 02:32 PM

Anyone have a doors 8 track? I'll buy it from you. And yes, I really do like and have an 8 track player.

- Ca$h

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 03:35 PM

The Doors !
In 1971 I bought my first record:L.A. Woman.
When I was 15, in 1973 me an my brother (16) took the train to Paris (from Amsterdam) and visisted his grave.
And finally we saw a Jim-less Doors in concert in Rotterdam some years later.
I loved the End 10 years before it was fashionable (Apocalypse Now).
A fan, one of the biggest, I am.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 03:40 PM

Ah, The Doors. Back when I was in high school ('93-'96) everyone listened to them. It was nuts, all these people sitting around reading "The Lizard King" in study hall. I read the books, I grew out my hair, although that was more secretly influenced by Antonio Banderas in Desperado than JM. I still have all their CDs, which are in a box since they were all ripped long ago with the rest. Might have to grab them to put in my car for when I forget to bring my iPod.

Sorry, Ca$h, I have SP and MH on wax but no 8-tracks. I used to have some 8-tracks, but after one of my KISS tapes was rend apart by what I presume were the gods of get-your-ass-into-the-present, I gave up on them.

--J

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 03:57 PM

another doors fan. think i have a bootleg of that infamous miami concert somewhere... great mix of performers.
one post closer to five stars

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout:
Anyone have a doors 8 track? I'll buy it from you. And yes, I really do like and have an 8 track player.

- Ca$h
I wish I did - I want to get an 8 track player that plays four-channel 8 tracks, where a separate track would go to each of the four speakers. I think my Dad actually has a Doors tape for that, and apparently Riders on the Storm is all the more spookier with four speakers. I'm sure I'd agree if I heard it.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by dav:
another doors fan. think i have a bootleg of that infamous miami concert somewhere... great mix of performers.
You should let us all listen to it.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
You should let us all listen to it.
unsure how to do that.
the quality is pretty bad, and it abruptly ends before the alleged exposure, but it ominous just the same. he screams, yells, stops songs, and is a bit vulgar, but not as bad as the jimi hendrix, jim morrison performance.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 04:51 PM

unsure how to do that.
the quality is pretty bad, and it abruptly ends before the alleged exposure, but it ominous just the same. he screams, yells, stops songs, and is a bit vulgar, but not as bad as the jimi hendrix, jim morrison performance.
Very, very interesting. Is it in mp3 format? I suppose I could just check Acquisition... but I shouldn't even be talking about these things on this board, should I?

And what was so vulgar about Jimi and Jim's performance?

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Very, very interesting. Is it in mp3 format? I suppose I could just check Acquisition... but I shouldn't even be talking about these things on this board, should I?

And what was so vulgar about Jimi and Jim's performance?
aiff on cd, quality is bad though, more for historical facination.

the jimi/jim performance, jim is quite obviously wasted (think jimi might make some reference to him laying on the floor), slurring, screaming repeatedly "f--- her up the a--"! while jimi jams.

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2003, 06:21 PM

aiff on cd, quality is bad though, more for historical facination.

the jimi/jim performance, jim is quite obviously wasted (think jimi might make some reference to him laying on the floor), slurring, screaming repeatedly "f--- her up the a--"! while jimi jams.
Absolutely not worth your time. I actually had the red vinyl LP (wish I still did, heard it's a collectable). 10 minutes of Jim ranting and Jimi trying to deal with it.

It was supposedly a late night jam in a club in NYC...it was also meddled with by the recorders, you can hear Jim's voice overdubbed near the end of the session. Probably because he was passed out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules