Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How good/bad is your job

View Poll Results: How do you like your job?
Poll Options:
I love my job 21 votes (42.00%)
I hate my job 4 votes (8.00%)
Meh, it's a job 12 votes (24.00%)
Job? 13 votes (26.00%)
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll
How good/bad is your job
tintub
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 12:05 AM

A thread where you can gloat or moan about your job. What do you do? Is it fun? Is it well paid? Do you hate your job?

I recently started working as a Software Engineer, mainly doing PHP/SQL. The pay is excellent (>$60,000), the work is mainly smallish projects so it changes frequently, I am able to post on /. and the lounge all day, we occasionally shut the door to the IT Dept and have a LAN game of Warcraft III, and all my co-workers are very nice people. So my job rocks. It is also the first job I have ever had that both rocked and had good pay. I have had both before, but not at the same time.

I am on Windows NT. That is a pity, but it means I can blame everything that goes wrong on the OS and everybody will agree.

So what do you do? Is your job hot or not?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 12:10 AM

Currently jobless, and looking grim. My problem: I have practically no work experience, so it's tough. And preparing to juggle that with heading back to college should be great fun. At least I can use Photoshop like a champ. Kinda.

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Currently jobless, and looking grim. My problem: I have practically no work experience, so it's tough. And preparing to juggle that with heading back to college should be great fun. At least I can use Photoshop like a champ. Kinda.

Your photoshop stuff is EXCELLENT. It shouldn't take you too long of showing your portfolio around before you get a job.

This is my first REAL IT job (as opposed to Freelance) since I first learned HTML back in 1998. But then I have never been very pro-active in finding a job, and this one pretty much fell into my lap.

If you came to Australia with your Photoshop skills, I am sure I could get you some work here!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2003, 12:29 AM

Ask me tomorrow. I am currently redoing all the pages for the track right now cause someone decided to change prices 50 days before the season starts. Like i have the ****ing time you bastards!
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 12:37 AM

you should move to dynamically driven content, static content is for like squares man

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 12:43 AM

Me, puta?

Hey, how 'bout some Rockford Files icons?

Back on topic, there is a small graphics and print house I'm thinking about trying for. We'll see how that goes. I really do need to save up for a 970 when it shows up.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 01:25 AM

www.thebettsbro.com

Love my job very much. There's nothing better than enjoy doing what you like and get paid for it. In the future, we'll definitely expand our business.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by putamare:
you should move to dynamically driven content, static content is for like squares man
ya think?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by dillerX:
ya think?
whoa yeah, totally 4/4

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by putamare:
whoa yeah, totally 4/4
Yep, I usually use SSI (server-side include) for dynamic driven content. Couldn't live without it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 01:54 AM

I work at Home Depot now part time while going to school. I hate working with the general public because they annoy the hell out of me, but I can BS my way through most of it.

10.50/hr too

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 03:35 PM

I work at the Alcohol Monopoly weekends, and it's ok. My main job is being a student. Doesn't pay much, but it is fun.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 03:41 PM

I do field service for Square D. It's a good job, but i'm tired of the travel. It's only a few states, but being away from home 300 miles away is the same as being away from home 3000 miles away.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 03:59 PM

After receiving a college diploma from a reputable university, I have spent over a year looking for a job and have not been able to find anything, of any kind.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
After receiving a college diploma from a reputable university, I have spent over a year looking for a job and have not been able to find anything, of any kind.
That's why I'm thinking about leaving my college. I think portfolio is far more important than a diploma.

I'm still unsure though.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
That's why I'm thinking about leaving my college. I think portfolio is far more important than a diploma.

I'm still unsure though.
No way -- stick it out and have both. Having both will look much better.

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
No way -- stick it out and have both. Having both will look much better.
Absolutely. It also looks good if you finish what you have started.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 06:02 PM

Been here 3 years. Love my job. I'm the in house IT guy for a 50 person graphic design firm. I'm good at what I do, so things don't often go wrong, and I'm rarely busy. I fill in the time by reading, watching movies, chatting with co-workers, drinking coffee/beer, and playing prodigious amounts of Halo on the company xboxen.

And they pay me real good into the deal.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

boardsurfer
Mar 12, 2003, 07:02 PM

I love my job. All my surf buddies already worked here before me. They kinda invited me in and I couldnt say no. I left my graphics job for this paralegal gig. I wasnt real good at graphics anyway. Better pay here too. In the spring the firm is moving about 2 miles from the beach. Should make for some great morning surf sessions before work. I still have to find out if the new building has a shower.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 11:05 PM

Working in the computer support department at my college. Pays ok for a work study job, but it gets real tedious telling people how to check their email and installing network cards all day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules