Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PB Australia (any News please post it here)

17" PB Australia (any News please post it here)
kiwioz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 07:49 PM

I ordered my 17? PB straight after the Keynote. I haven?t heard anything since.

I have rang Apple Australia all they keep telling me is that it should be here within 2 weeks, but they have been telling me this for a month.

Apple Australia?s web site did say 30 days at one point then 3 days later changed to 4-5 weeks. It is now saying 3-5 weeks.

Come On Apple send some down under for all us loyal Mac users in this part of the world.

If you have any News about 17? Powerbook in Australia Please post it here

Craig Laird
Melbourne

A very frustrated , but loyal Mac user .

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 11:07 PM

Hi Craig,

Fellow Melbournian here as well :-)

I ordered mine mid to late January thru MyMac in Richmond. I am not realistic that we will see these machine before late April at the earliest.

Right now I'm seriously looking at buying a 15" TiBook instead. The waiting and inability of Apple Australia to give accurate shipping dates is laughable.

Best Regards,

Henry

�tomic
Mar 22, 2003, 12:56 AM

Im a Sydneysider and am completely fed up with the smokescreen Apple have pulled over our eyes for the last month. The reason why Apple continue to push back delivery dates by two weeks is so you do not decide to withdraw your purchase and spend your money elsewhere.

I sold my tower in January to buy my powerbook and come April, I still dont have it or a definitive delivery date. I simply cannot understand why they cant tell me it will be here on X date and deliver. What is so hard about this?

*Phew* Ok im done now

kiwioz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by hlouey:
Hi Craig,

Fellow Melbournian here as well :-)

I ordered mine mid to late January thru MyMac in Richmond. I am not realistic that we will see these machine before late April at the earliest.

Right now I'm seriously looking at buying a 15" TiBook instead. The waiting and inability of Apple Australia to give accurate shipping dates is laughable.

Best Regards,

Henry

I to have my PB ordered though MyMac.
If it is not here come end of March I will get a 15"

This Sucks Apple

Craig

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by kiwioz:

Come On Apple send some down under for all us loyal Mac users in this part of the world.

Somehow Apple tends to ship new PowerBook shipment more to Asia than in Australia. I ordered my 1GHz TiBook back in November, and I had to wait a bit longer than expected because Apple send some of the Australia's "quota" to Asia accidentally

Also, if you order from NextByte you have a better chance to get the first shipment. They ordered a lot from the first shipment so you have a better chance to get hold of it early.

kiwioz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 03:28 AM

Has anyone heard anything about time frame ???
Other than guess?s ??

tritonus
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 03:38 AM

Europe is still waiting, too! Havent't seen one yet...
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 04:18 AM

I ordered mine from the Apple Online Education Store, and when I called them last Friday they apparently had no firm ETA, although I was told there was a POSSIBILITY that it would arrive next week. Realistically, I'm thinking it will be first week of April, which really sucks as I was counting on having the 17" by now for use in some assignments

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by Wet Jimmy:
I ordered mine from the Apple Online Education Store, and when I called them last Friday they apparently had no firm ETA, although I was told there was a POSSIBILITY that it would arrive next week. Realistically, I'm thinking it will be first week of April, which really sucks as I was counting on having the 17" by now for use in some assignments
Unfortunately new Apple new models generally arrives late in Australia. I ordered my 1GHz G4 TiBook back in November last year, and it didn't arrive until early December (and I almost missed the deadline for my tax purposes)

My words is, if you need a new model for do certain things by certain time, order an existing model instead (unless you can afford to wait for 3-4 months)

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 04:46 AM

Yeah, but who could live with themselves for buying a 15" model with the 17" due anytime now? I'll take aesthetics over my assignments anyday

kiwioz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 05:26 AM

Yeah, but who could live with themselves for buying a 15" model with the 17" due anytime now? I'll take aesthetics over my assignments anyday
Yes you are right but this is so crazy that it takes so long to get here ........

The fact that no one can give us ant info on a estimated time, is drive me insane

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 05:36 AM

I do have to say - communication from Apple is AMAZINGLY, MIND BOGGILINGLY APALLING!

I mean, who is managing manufacturing logistics at Apple? Did they just hire some kid out of highschool to run the 17" PB project? Or it it a trained monkey? Or better still, let's just save money, Apple, and have NO ONE who's job it is to keep tabs on such things.

Seriously, how hard would it be to share a little more information?

The 17" PB will be the first Apple product I've bought since 1995, and so far the Company has just left a sour taste in my mouth. If the hardware wasn't so tasty, and the OS so interesting, I'd happily let them rot.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 05:41 AM

I've rung a few AppleCentres every two weeks since ordering mine within 24 hours of the announcement. The responses were:

To start with - End of January, but likely mid-February
End of January - Mid-February (no worries, expected that)
Mid-February - End of February
End of February - Mid-March
Mid-March - End of March
End of March - That's this week, I expect the reponse to be mid-April.

In other words for two months the answer has always been two weeks, for all the AppleCentres I call. Whilst in Sydney a couple of weeks ago I popped into an AppleCentre there, and f#ck me they said two weeks as well.

Sends a strong message to switchers doesn't it - comes across as "%^&# off it's none of your business". Well done Apple Australia, doing a fantastic job there.

I'm still hoping next week (last week of March), but I have no faith in it...

Stupid part is they could simply tell us a realistic date, ie Apple Australia could actually get off their butt on Monday and tell all their dealers an ETA, but no let's just stuff around... since when is customer service important anyway, especially when you've got FA market share...

Frustrated - but very glad I already own my 15" in the mean time. If I had experienced this hell when I bought my 15" a year ago I'd honestly have never gone through with it (switching it not something you do every day, or even imagine ever doing).
( Last edited by DVD Plaza; Mar 22, 2003 at 05:46 AM. )

kiwioz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 05:46 AM

I do have to say - communication from Apple is AMAZINGLY, MIND BOGGILINGLY APALLING!

I mean, who is managing manufacturing logistics at Apple? Did they just hire some kid out of highschool to run the 17" PB project? Or it it a trained monkey? Or better still, let's just save money, Apple, and have NO ONE who's job it is to keep tabs on such things.

Seriously, how hard would it be to share a little more information?

The 17" PB will be the first Apple product I've bought since 1995, and so far the Company has just left a sour taste in my mouth. If the hardware wasn't so tasty, and the OS so interesting, I'd happily let them rot.
I have switched my company from PC to Mac over the past 2 years. I sold the last PC the other day so now I only run Macs at work. Yet every time I order a new product from Apple I have to wait.

I own 4 companies 1 of which is a manufacturing company and we can tell clients exactly where their product is within the manufacturing process.

It is called a database. Maybe my Database Company could write Apple a small Database. What do you think should I email Apple?

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 06:14 AM

I own 4 companies 1 of which is a manufacturing company and we can tell clients exactly where their product is within the manufacturing process.

It is called a database. Maybe my Database Company could write Apple a small Database. What do you think should I email Apple?
No need. Apple own a database company themselves. It's called FileMaker Inc. They produce FileMaker Pro!

Perhaps if you own a air flight company or transport logistic company then you should contact Apple.

Or, instead of appointing Al Gore to Apple board, they should appoint a transport company to their board or vice versa?

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
I've rung a few AppleCentres every two weeks since ordering mine within 24 hours of the announcement. The responses were:

To start with - End of January, but likely mid-February
End of January - Mid-February (no worries, expected that)
Mid-February - End of February
End of February - Mid-March
Mid-March - End of March
End of March - That's this week, I expect the reponse to be mid-April.

In other words for two months the answer has always been two weeks, for all the AppleCentres I call. Whilst in Sydney a couple of weeks ago I popped into an AppleCentre there, and f#ck me they said two weeks as well.

Sends a strong message to switchers doesn't it - comes across as "%^&# off it's none of your business". Well done Apple Australia, doing a fantastic job there.

I'm still hoping next week (last week of March), but I have no faith in it...

Stupid part is they could simply tell us a realistic date, ie Apple Australia could actually get off their butt on Monday and tell all their dealers an ETA, but no let's just stuff around... since when is customer service important anyway, especially when you've got FA market share...

Frustrated - but very glad I already own my 15" in the mean time. If I had experienced this hell when I bought my 15" a year ago I'd honestly have never gone through with it (switching it not something you do every day, or even imagine ever doing).
Hey Chris,

Why don't you tell us what you REALLY think??

Seriously. In my entire time I've been on DVDPLAZA I've never seen you shoot off a bad word in anger.

Obviously this is has hit a raw nerve with you like the rest of us :-)

Your fellow Australian in waiting.....

Henry

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 07:40 AM

Am I the only Sydney-sider here?

kiwioz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 07:51 AM

Am I the only Sydney-sider here?
I think so ......

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 08:20 AM

Depressing

Out of all my friends, I'm going to be the only Mac owner (if the damned thing ever arrives). I've taken a look at some of the Mac User Groups in Sydney, but the geek quotient looks a little too high.

Oh well, I'll have to stick with making the guys at work green with envy

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 09:33 AM

Seriously. In my entire time I've been on DVDPLAZA I've never seen you shoot off a bad word in anger. Obviously this is has hit a raw nerve with you like the rest of us :-)
I can handle the wait, after all this will be an absolutely awesome machine and in the mean time I continue to love my 800DVI 15". I can appreciate a delay, I'd rather they spend the time to ensure the beast is perfect. I can appreciate a store being daft, that's why I've been calling a number of different AppleCentres.

But to stuff us around like this, boy that p#sses me off. Why, in over two months of waiting, can't Apple give an answer other than "two weeks"?

Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 12:49 PM

Australia will probably be getting their units mid of April if not early May if you're lucky. Australia is a small market compared to the states and the orders have to be fulfilled there first.

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2003, 11:28 PM

I can handle the wait, after all this will be an absolutely awesome machine and in the mean time I continue to love my 800DVI 15". I can appreciate a delay, I'd rather they spend the time to ensure the beast is perfect. I can appreciate a store being daft, that's why I've been calling a number of different AppleCentres.

But to stuff us around like this, boy that p#sses me off. Why, in over two months of waiting, can't Apple give an answer other than "two weeks"?

Hey Chris,

Have you got any update from Apple or from the AppleCentres this week about these Machines??? Looks like Europe are getting them now. We (fingers crossed) shouldn't be too much longer

Henry
( Last edited by hlouey; Mar 24, 2003 at 12:18 AM. )

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 11:36 PM

The dude at Apple's OnLine Education store told me that there MAY be shipments late this week, so to possibly expect it first week of April. This would put the delivery time at just about six weeks after ordering (13th of February).

Personally? I've been told so many dates that I'm not believing anything until I've got the box here in front of me.

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2003, 11:49 PM

I did ask about the dates of arrival for the 17" back at the start of March and Brisbane resellers all said mid-April. Guess that was better than being told 2 weeks...?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 02:03 AM

Just phoned my AppleCentre and they reckon Apple can't tell them anything more than what they did two weeks ago - ie still due at the end of March. I reminded them this week IS the end of March and they said it should therefore be coming this week (and even expressed excitement on my behalf).

So the good news is I didn't get told "two weeks" this time and they even double checked their records to confirm my order was still ready, advising me I'm first in line.

BUT, the bad news is I don't feel this is reliable information at all - rather I am becoming more convinced that Apple Australia is the most incompetent company on the face of this planet

P.S. Didn't get a chance to phone a few other AppleCentres...
( Last edited by DVD Plaza; Mar 24, 2003 at 03:52 AM. )

spathi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2003, 05:18 AM

My reseller was straight out honest and said they don't have a date, and they have no confirmation of when they are arriving.

While this is frustrating at least im not getting the run around. I just hope its in before May..

Looking forward to hearing from fellow Australians on any information they do hear tho!
17" PB /w 1 gig of ram

�tomic
Mar 24, 2003, 07:38 AM

Well I rang Nextbyte today and the guy that answered the phone sounded so disinterested in talking to anyone it was a joke. I asked when they expect the 17's to be delivered and he said early to mid MAY! I said you gotta be joking thats 5 months after they were anounced, what gives? He said thats the info they have, I said fine and hung up.

I then rang the reseller I actually have a deposit with and advised them that I didnt expect this much of a delay and needed a machine by the 12th of April (I really do, I have a project that starts that week) and if things continue like this I have to rethink my purchase or withdraw my order and buy something else. He checked with Apple HQ site and it states deliveries should start at the end of March (this week) but may spill over to next week.

This is F@#%ING shitting me to tears!

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 08:03 AM

Are you in Sydney? I hope you're not dealing with MacCentric in Chatswood... They have NO idea what they're talking about, in my experience.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by �tomic:
Well I rang Nextbyte today and the guy that answered the phone sounded so disinterested in talking to anyone it was a joke. I asked when they expect the 17's to be delivered and he said early to mid MAY! I said you gotta be joking thats 5 months after they were anounced, what gives? He said thats the info they have, I said fine and hung up.

I then rang the reseller I actually have a deposit with and advised them that I didnt expect this much of a delay and needed a machine by the 12th of April (I really do, I have a project that starts that week) and if things continue like this I have to rethink my purchase or withdraw my order and buy something else. He checked with Apple HQ site and it states deliveries should start at the end of March (this week) but may spill over to next week.

This is F@#%ING shitting me to tears!

Stop smashing yourself against a brick wall, otherwise you might not be alive by the time your 17" PowerBook arrives

If NextByte tells you don't except it until May, then it could mean one of two things:

1. Apple has screwed things up very badly, and they are waiting the next ship travel from US West Coast to Australia East Coast which will arive about late April

or

2. NextByte has so many back orders that if you place your order now, you would have to wait for the 2nd (or even 3rd) shipment before you can get hold of one.

Why don't you try and ask your Apple dealer to lend you a 15" (or even a 12") PowerBook and use it for your project for the time being???

kiwioz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2003, 11:45 PM

I rang Apple today to ask if they had any new news on shipping dates. They informed me that they do not have a shipping date from Apple US at this stage, and that they where sorry. Well I don?t what a apologise I want my 17?.

We are now in week 11 and no word from Apple.

So I thought I would ring Apple US Customer service to find out if they had any info. Well you thought ring NOTHING. I press them to give me any info all I got was the Apple has no comment nor will be giving a comment on availability of PB 17? shipping.

I also said that I cannot believe that a company the size of Apple do not know when they would be shipping a product they have released. All I got in response was that they have no comment.

COME ON APPLE THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS ???

Craig Laird

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 12:31 AM

The 17" wont be shipping until the end of April, is what I heard from a little source of mine.

A few things. Firstly, dont blame the applecentres as they are only told Apple Aus's spiel - its not the applecentres fault that they dont have concrete dates. They could be a bit more forthcoming about this, however :/

Secondly, its not really Apple Aus's fault either. Apple Aus gets treated as bottom of the barrel in terms of shipping times. The MASS priority is the US when it comes to unit manufacture - then it drips down to asia/UK, then sometime after this - australia. This is simply because so few units are sold out here (want proof? the head of apple australia resigned a few weeks ago - he failed to meet the required performance quota set out to him). It wasn't his fault he couldn't get the units - the priority based shipping simply states that the US gets most of them, and gets them first. If I was to blame anyone, I'd blame whoever caused the 17"'s delays in getting a final design (final design was only reached about a month ago) - and whoever manufactures them, as they make them way too slow. If enough were made, we would have them soon enough.

In any case, dont expect them here until the end of april, my source says. If they arrive any earlier, you have reason to scream at the top of your lungs with happiness

I was in the same position a few weeks ago. Ti15, Al15 or Al17. The Al15 was too far off, the Al17 wasn't going to be shipped for 6 weeks, but the Ti15 was out. So I scored myself a Ti1ghz SD, which runs most beautifully I must add

Enjoy the wait while I enjoy my Ti now mmmmmmmmmmm so nice.

Oh and did I mention my Ti15 only cost AU$4400
( Last edited by Hornet; Mar 25, 2003 at 12:46 AM. )

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 01:19 AM

So your source knows an ETA but Apple Australia doesn't?

And I thought this couldn't get any more pathetic...

Originally posted by Hornet:
Enjoy the wait while I enjoy my Ti now mmmmmmmmmmm so nice.
My TiBook still works perfectly fine in the mean time.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 01:26 AM

Did I mention that my 17" will only cost me $2997.00? Sucker! I think it's worth waiting for!

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 01:46 AM

A few things. Firstly, dont blame the applecentres as they are only told Apple Aus's spiel - its not the applecentres fault that they dont have concrete dates. They could be a bit more forthcoming about this, however :/
Lots of stuff deleted.

So question. Who is to blame when......

1) None of the Apple Centres make quota due to all the people holding off on Powerbook sales due to the promised ship dates of the 17" PB's? This is a real issue. I would love to see the Apple Q1 numbers and see some heads roll over this fiasco

2) Also why won't Apple even publicly apologize / compensate for this delay by giving us either a free memory upgrade or free .MAC accounts or something similar for this inexcusable delay?

Personally I have had delays in every Apple dealing in Australia. Be it the 333Mhz iMacs to the 10 Gig iPods to the this.

Its a total joke

Henry

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 01:58 AM

How did you get the SD model so cheap?

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 03:46 AM

And he's STILL paying more for the old 15" model than I will be for the 17". Heh.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 07:57 AM

And he's STILL paying more for the old 15" model than I will be for the 17". Heh.
That was $4400 just from the discount arranged with apple alone.

$2100 then comes back through a tax cut, bringing the cost down to a cool $2300

Which is then paid for as my birthday present

So effectively I get a $6000 laptop for free, that cost my friend $2300

Sucker haha!

Enjoy the month wait

Edit: How did I get it so cheap? Well while the above explains it, the discount arranged with apple came about from a very generous person I know at Apple, who I thank very much The friend who is buying it for my as my birthday present/uni computer gets nearly half of that off in tax (salary sacrifice - basically claims it like a business tax deduction that gets a full 50c off in the dollar if you are in that tax bracket).
( Last edited by Hornet; Mar 25, 2003 at 08:14 AM. )

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 08:09 AM

Lots of stuff deleted.

So question. Who is to blame when......

1) None of the Apple Centres make quota due to all the people holding off on Powerbook sales due to the promised ship dates of the 17" PB's? This is a real issue. I would love to see the Apple Q1 numbers and see some heads roll over this fiasco

2) Also why won't Apple even publicly apologize / compensate for this delay by giving us either a free memory upgrade or free .MAC accounts or something similar for this inexcusable delay?

Personally I have had delays in every Apple dealing in Australia. Be it the 333Mhz iMacs to the 10 Gig iPods to the this.

Its a total joke

Henry
1. True true. Applecentre's will be up the proverbial creek because of this (though not many have huge orders - last time I spoke to chatswood they only had 10 orders - could be much much more tho now). Heads have rolled, the apple aus director for starters
2. Very good question. Something like that should be given out, especially dot mac, which costs them little to offer

Sucks for the people waiting it out. Thats life I have given up ordering just-released products in au from apple. First, you get the massive product delay apple is used to for new rev a products (eg the 17"'s 2+ month delay). Then you get apple aus's "extended" delay. Then you get the potential rev a issues, etc. I preferred to take the route of buying more of a tried and tested design (no dead pixels, no paint scratches, no unknown potential design flaws etc) of the Ti15, then buying a rev B Al15 early next year when I get a new model if I do. Then apple's delays, apple aus's delays, and the potential rev a issues are more likely to be removed. In any case the Al17 is too big for my liking to carry around, I think I will stay with the 15's

To each his own. Hopefully you dont have to wait too long.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 08:43 AM

Then you get the potential rev a issues, etc. I preferred to take the route of buying more of a tried and tested design (no dead pixels, no paint scratches, no unknown potential design flaws etc) of the Ti15
I think you're a little mixed up here. Firstly the TiBook could be a revision 4 or revision 248, makes no difference to dead pixels - that's an LCD manufacturing issue that has nothing what-so-ever to do with the PowerBook itself. Paint scratches/bubbling, that is specifically an issue with the TiBook (including the last revision). There is no paint on the new AlBooks.

gets nearly half of that off in tax (salary sacrifice - basically claims it like a business tax deduction that gets a full 50c off in the dollar if you are in that tax bracket).
Not like a business tax deduction, that would be 10c. Salary sacrifice in the top bracket would be 44c not 50c, it's also not an immediate saving - you still pay the full price for whatever you've bought, the saving is that over the next year you end up with less tax out of your pay.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 04:33 PM

Mine is basically working out so cheap because of Salary sacrafice.

It breaks down like this -

I'm buying a PB 17" with an extra battery.

I get a discout because I'm a part time student (only two nights a week, but it works!)

I give the receipt to work, who then refund the full amount paid for the PB back into my bank account.

I then pay back the cost LESS GST from my before-tax wages over a period of one year. This reduces my taxable income, and since I'm in a high tax bracket this has quite a noticable benefit. So at the end of that time, the real cost to me is only $2997.00 or there abouts... Which effectively means I should be able to sell the unit in a years times at a profit and buy whatever else is new at the time

Yay!

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 08:50 PM

I then pay back the cost LESS GST from my before-tax wages over a period of one year. This reduces my taxable income, and since I'm in a high tax bracket this has quite a noticable benefit. So at the end of that time, the real cost to me is only $2997.00 or there abouts... Which effectively means I should be able to sell the unit in a years times at a profit and buy whatever else is new at the time

Yay!
Jimmy do you know can you still claim depreciation of your PowerBook for the next 2-3 years as a tax deduction if you got your PowerBook through Salary sacrafice/packaging? (Assume you don't sell your PowerBook in the next 2-3 years)

Ta!

solagratia1600
Mar 25, 2003, 09:47 PM

Hi veryniceguy,

I asked about this before, I don't think you can, since it's written off from the beginning with Salary Sacrifice. If you talk to your accountant that help you to set up your salary sacrifice, he will advise you.

cheers
solagratia1600

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Jimmy do you know can you still claim depreciation of your PowerBook for the next 2-3 years as a tax deduction if you got your PowerBook through Salary sacrafice/packaging? (Assume you don't sell your PowerBook in the next 2-3 years)

Ta!

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 11:28 PM

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how it would work depreciating something that's been bought via salary sacrafice. Because the company also claims tax benefits, doesn't that mean that two entities would be claiming benefits on the one item? To me that sounds like something that the ATO wouldn't allow. Don't hold me to it, though

At any rate, with the second hand Mac market the way it is, and the price I'm paying, I'm sure I'll make a profit when I sell it at the end of the one year pay-off period... then I can upgrade to whatever is new at the time!

(...and wait two months for it to actually ship...)

kiwioz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 10:07 PM

Has anyone been told anything so far this week ???

Craig Laird
Melbourne

A very frustrated , but loyal Mac user . [/B][/QUOTE]

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 10:28 PM

Craig Laird
Melbourne

Craig. Yes I rang and they said 2 weeks.... But then again they said two weeks two weeks ago and two weeks two weeks before that....

Seriously I have no idea. I have given up ringing. I will wait for the call to say its arrived. If I ring all that happens is that you end up getting more frustrated

Henry

kfchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 01:51 AM

I also did salary packaging. means you can claim a new laptop each fringe benefit year (beginning May 31 I think)

ken
------
dream, believe, create

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by kfchan:
I also did salary packaging. means you can claim a new laptop each fringe benefit year (beginning May 31 I think)

ken
No. The Fringe Benefits Tax year starts 1 April to 31 March (so you are less than 5 days away from the new computer claim )

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 05:33 PM

So, back to topic, today is the day I won't get a call - I'll phone them and be told two more weeks...

hlouey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 05:40 PM

So, back to topic, today is the day I won't get a call - I'll phone them and be told two more weeks...
Good Luck Chris!

Nice to see you so optimistic about the shipping date ;-)

Henry

OzAl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 06:04 PM

Craig Laird
Melbourne

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I've been given some information. If you call the AppleStore, they'll tell you they don't have a date but they're expecting 17" PBs in the next week or two. But another (more credible) contact in Apple told me they have been delayed for 4 weeks. In support of that, you might have noticed on some forums that there are folks in the U.S. (who, BTW, have the luxury of expected ship dates for their orders), have seen their dates pushed out one month to April 25.

So if they don't show up until the end of April, then realistically it will be early May at the earliest before any of us see them. That assumes no further slippages...

This is beyond ridiculous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules