Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Where to get themes? Good variety?

Where to get themes? Good variety?
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 03:48 AM

Hi. I have a powerbook on the way. What are some good sites to go to that have lots of good themes?
My current desktop(debian linux) is this:
http://web.mit.edu/kelesh/Public/screenshot.jpg

If I want to get something similar(blue and sleek), am I going to have to use X11 with icewm and my theme (axxrom), or are there enough themes out there for the default window manager. I played with a poewrbook in the apple store, and it looked like it had some nifty graphical effects, like when minimizing stuff, etc, and I would like to have all of that cool stuff but without the stupid bubbley theme. How hard is it to punt the titlebar on top in favor of a menu driven system, or a system that can be accessed from one button? I know for some stuff like transparent clock and battery monitor, i can probably just recompile and install the free linux apps I used before on osx. I know nothing about OSX, and I'm sure I will learn alot, i just want to be sure that I don't remove anything that will hamper my ability to get the most out of the system. estimated shipping date on or before 3/26, i can't wait!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 07:58 AM

theoden
Mar 22, 2003, 11:25 AM

You forgot Carbon's great themes

http://www.621.org/~carbon/

Carbon's watercolor themes might be what you're looking for, blue and sleek and not bubbly.

As for your linux apps, Apple's X11 works great. Can't really tell the difference between X11 and Aqua apps (minimize to dock works with both.) So, hrm, yeah

Enjoy your new powerbook!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 11:42 AM

How could I have forgotten Carbon? Actually it was just lazyness. Resexcellence links to Carbon as well as Izawa and Kinoshita

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 08:01 PM

they're okay. I might just have to look into this X11 stuff if I want to get a good window manager/theme.

theoden
Mar 23, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by kelesh:
they're okay. I might just have to look into this X11 stuff if I want to get a good window manager/theme.
You wouldn't be able to theme OS X using an X11 windowmanager tho.

You could use other X11 implementations for OS X (XDarwin's one I recall) and run it's own windowmanager of your choice, but still it would affect only X11 apps, not Classic/Carbon/Cocoa apps.

Also, coming from Debian GNU/Linux, you may find fink of great use. Basicly a port of apt-get and dselect tools for OS X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules