Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB (AL) G4 12" 867Mhz or PB (Ti) G4 15" 867Mhz?

PB (AL) G4 12" 867Mhz or PB (Ti) G4 15" 867Mhz?
abundrefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 12:05 PM

Three questions about PB (AL) G4 12" 867Mhz vs. PB (Ti) G4 15" 867Mhz:

1- The PB(AL) G4 12" is NEW, and updated in some features, even
though, it is a 867 Mhz PB only. The PB(TI) G4 15" has two choices of
processor (867Mhz and 1Ghz), but it still is an older version of PB.
Considering that the new PB AL G4, could be a 15 incher, the price of
the older 15" TI showld lower. Right?
Let's also keep the (possibly) NEW PB AL G4 15" out of the game,
because it could be released with a very high price. So, let's
consider that, by the end of the year, the new PB(AL) G4 12", and the
old PB(TI) G4 15" would have a small price difference between them.
By that time of the year, what would be the best deal?
The new PB(AL) G4 12" that will keep being produced (and reviewed -
so it could get even better than today (could it???)), or the PB(Ti)
G4 15", that is a PIECE of WORK, will be cheaper, but will no longer
be produced?

P.s.- How do I know the PB (Ti) G4 15" 867Mhz in the stores here is
the "up to date" Ti or if it is the old one? Does the
code "M8858LL/A" guaranrtees that we are talking about the last
generation of PB (Ti) G4 15" 867Mhz?

2- Well, I live in Brazil. But near Sao Paulo (hot-tub), not Rio
(sauna hot). I've been to the US (Portland -OR) during summertime,
and it's not so much hotter than that, but sometimes we have one day
or another that is "sauna hot". Do you think I would have problems
with the 12" heat issue?

3- I work with graphic design, pressing works, most of the time. That
includes Photoshop (Illustrator, Pagemaker, InDesign, and other
stuff...). The other point is that, by the end of the year, I will
start studying in another town, and I would have to travel the
home/university track three times a week. So the background here is a
(masters) student (not enough money for a 17" - hahaha) that will
have to travel with the PB, but the PB I decide to buy has to last
for a LOOOOOONG time, so It has to be fast enough (so I won't have to
upgrade it very soon) and it must support, though, a wide upgrade
when the time for it comes. The question that never ends: PB (AL) G4
12" 867Mhz or PB (Ti) G4 15" 867Mhz?

Thanks again, all you guys!!!
Sincerely,

Andre
Playing the groove is like driving a fancy car: you drive slowly so all the people can check you out. - Wynton Marsalis.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 01:02 PM

As far as I know, there's only ever been one model of the 867 MHz 15" PowerBook. I own one!

Anyways, if you're an artist or designer you'll probably want the 15" PowerBook. The extra resolution will be a lot more useful. The only reason I'd go for a 12" in your situation is if portability is a more important concern (as can be the case for people who have a very full laptop/travel bag already, or tend to use their computer on their lap more). I can use the 15" on my lap, of course, but the 12" may be more comfortable.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 01:51 PM

There has been a lot of post/thread in this forum about this. Just look for them and you'll find some useful advises..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 07:01 PM

If you must choose one I'd go with the Ti 867. There has been a few teething problems with the Al already in the 12" model. The screen on the 15" Ti is also superior to the 12" and it's not really that much bigger.

If you have the money just go with the 1 GHz Ti. 867 is slow as it is.. so just get the best you can get considering you will get 2x the video ram, airport card, larger hard disk and a dvd burner in the 1 ghz model... it is really value for money there.

The only major downside I see in the Ti are its hinges. Overtime they will stress, crack and completely come off the main body of your laptop.

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 07:24 PM

I was in the same situation as most of you: should I purchase the new Al12" or the TiBook 15" 867. I finally made my decision and chose the Tibook 15" 867. I just got tired of waiting and hearing the speculation of the 15"Al books. If you look at it from a marketing point of view, Apple has made a wise decision to create the 12" and 17" powerbooks and not the 15" until the right time. The 12" and 17" Albooks are so new to the market. And if you really think about it, its rev. A usually has some bugs to workout (i.e. overheating 12"Albooks, etc.). As time goes by, Apple starts to make these corrections and the rev. B, rev. C, etc. starts to produce and sell. The 15"Albooks can learn from these two products (referring to the 12" & 17") therefore, when the 15" Albooks come out on the market, Apple will probably make a clean, more solid 15"Albook with very few or no revisions.

Once the 15"Albooks come out, which Albook would you think would sell the most? I kind of think the new 15"Albooks will sell more being that they are the mid-size powerbook. Or then again, maybe I'm wrong. Overall, I think Apple's marketing team is doing a great job with setting the right timeline to present these new products.

I'm quite happy with my recent Powerbook purchase. It meets my needs and is a solid laptop.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2003, 02:09 AM

This is always a hard choice.

The short answer is that you would probably be happy with either one.

To my knowledge Apple does not produce major revisions that are not announced. Manufacturing improvements are phased in as the problems are solved. If you buy a recently manufactured PB then it is current.

If you can get the 1GHz 15 inch Ti Book go for that. You will appreciate the larger screen. Also, the 15 inch Ti Book has a 1MB L3 cache whereas the 12 inch Al Book has no L3 cache. This and the faster processor will speed up your software.

Rearding heat, I don't think the PBs will have trouble with heat. Keep them out of direct sunlight and they will be OK. You may find that it gets too hot to comfortably type on. You can either get an external keyboard and mouse to solve this or get some adhesive wrist pads that glue on to the PB. The cloth will be cooler to the touch than the warm metal.

Personally, I will wait for the 15 inch Al book (assuming that will happen). In my case I already have a Qicksilver Tower and a Pismo 500 laptop so I am in no hurry to upgrade.

Hope this helps.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2003, 10:30 AM

The 12" PowerBook's screen is no comparison to the 15" TiBook's.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2003, 12:33 PM

As both the owner of the titanium and the Aluminum (soon to be 17er too), I would say go for the 12!!! The construction is far superior to the Ti, plus it does have the option for the superdrive, and the built in BT... This computer is solid! I love it more than I have ever loved any of my 3 previous Ti models!
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

abundrefo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2003, 08:05 PM

-"As both the owner of the titanium and the Aluminum (soon to be 17er too), I would say go for the 12!!!"-

This is an interesting profile!!!
Someone who owns both of the computers we are talking about.

"Love" is a very good word when talking about the 12". But, as I mentioned earlier, the PB I decide to buy has to last for a LOOOOOONG time, so It has to be: 1-fast enough (so I won't have to upgrade it very soon) and it must support, though, a wide upgrade when the time for it comes. 2-resistant when handling...I am very careful, though...

Do you think the fact that the 12" construction is far superior to the Ti is stronger than the fact that the Ti is faster? (Please, consider that screen size is not THAT important to me).

Please, notice that I will buy it by the end of the year. Do you think a REVISED 12" will be available by that time?

Do you think that a REVISED 12" will be considerably cheaper than the "possibly" NEW 15" AL?

And, last question, do you think that the "possibly" NEW 15" AL will be a lot more expensive than the "old" Ti is today?

Thanks

Andre.
Playing the groove is like driving a fancy car: you drive slowly so all the people can check you out. - Wynton Marsalis.

abundrefo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2003, 08:20 PM

"To my knowledge Apple does not produce major revisions that are not announced."

And WHERE would these revisions be announced?

www.apple.com, maybe?
Some MacWorld magazine, or something?

Thanks

Andr�.

Forum Links
Forum Rules