Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buy an iPod now???

Buy an iPod now???
eScrib
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2003, 03:19 PM

With all the iPod rumors going around, does anyone have any idea what is going to happen in terms of price, size, etc. for the next iPod revision and when it's going to happen??? I really don't want to wait anymore, but at the same time I don't want to buy an iPod and then it drops in price drastically, or something else happens which makes me regret in NOT waiting.

Ideas?

derekn
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 03:46 PM

It could be 5,10, 20 and 40 gigs, it might be 10,20 and 40 gigs, who knows? I want to get one too and the rumor sites aren't helping any. LOL I know it's hard but wait. You can buy one now and if new ones are introduced within 2 weeks I believe Apple will pay you the difference if there are price cuts. But there is no way of knowing when they will be introduced, next week, week after, a month from now etc.

Just hang tough, new ones are coming.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by derekn:
Just hang tough, new ones are coming.
Thats been told for about 4 weeks now
Just buy one You'll get 30days money back remember
we don't have time to stop for gas

derekn
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 06:50 PM

I'd get one but I converted most of my MP3s to AAC. LOL I'd rather not go through all the trouble of moving all the original MP3s back and then just needing to get rid of them again. I can wait, it's getting annoying but it's hard. I'm thinking instead of writing to Apple and saying "My money is here if you'd like it" I'll just say "Put the new iPods out or I'm taking my business elsewhere". LOL

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2003, 10:10 PM

Aaarrrgghhh...

Welp... I guess I can wait, but damn it's hard. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting...

Come on Steve-O.

derekn
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 11:47 PM

I might have you beat, I've been waiting since December. LOL I was hoping MacWorld San Francisco... been waiting ever since. I even thought of getting a Rio Riot for a time, I'm glad I didn't now. LOL It's iPod or bust now.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 03:08 AM

i just want scrolling menus...long album names are a beotch to see!

tommy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 09:13 PM

I had been waiting for 6 weeks for a new iPod. Couldn't wait anymore. I bought an Apple refurb 5 GB iPod for Windows from smalldog.com, only $209. Converted it to a Mac version and couldn't be happier. Even though its a refurb, it's in pristine shape (not a scratch on it). And it's also here now...

jaske
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 10:00 PM

I just purchased the 10 gig model. And sure, I'll lose some money in the long run, maybe by next week if less expensive version is released
. . . but I'm thankful for being able to listen to something other than Cher while working out at my gym. And if Apple releases a model that is clearly better than this model, I'll put this on eBay.

I guess your decision comes down to what kind of loss you can stand. Thankfully, I can stand the loss. And, there is no way Apple will release a music subscription service that doesn't work with current iPods. Don't let that fear affect your decision.

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by jaske:

I guess your decision comes down to what kind of loss you can stand. Thankfully, I can stand the loss. And, there is no way Apple will release a music subscription service that doesn't work with current iPods. Don't let that fear affect your decision.
It just comes down to money. For example, if the 10gb was to be the entry model and the price was reduced to $299, I could potentially be out 100 bucks.

I can handle the loss if I had to, but if I knew something was iminent I'd hold off and save a few bucks. But I've been waiting... And waiting... And waiting...

I'm sure when the new iPod is released, current owners will be caught up to the latest greatest iPod stuff, whether it be the music service, AAC, etc. I just don't want to shell out 400 bucks, when I can save a buck or two potentially.

Are the 10gb models still readily available? I know the 5gb is no where to be found, but what about the other models???

derekn
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 03:00 AM

5 gigs are pretty much gone, yeah. Most places don't even list it.

Macmall has both the 10 and 20 gig iPods listed as "please call" instead of listing how many they have in stock. My local CompUSA says they have 10 and "limited quantities" of the 20 gig or something. Small dog has mostly refurbed stuff, all the new stuff 5,10 or 20 is in really limited numbers. I guess you can try Best Buy or Target if you live in the US.

I know the rumors sites have said they were coming soon and that was in December. But seriously, looking at the numbers Apple has to put new ones out soon, within a month at the most I think. Otherwise, their main non-computer item with the most reach is going to be non-existent, heck it already is in some places.

n~s
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by eScrib:
It just comes down to money. For example, if the 10gb was to be the entry model and the price was reduced to $299, I could potentially be out 100 bucks.
That's exactly what's holding me back. I've been waiting a while, I can wait a little longer. Apple should at least strike the "Starting at $299" bit on their site since they haven't had an iPod at that price in months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules