Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleStore Geniuses: do they repair PowerBook in-store, or is everything sent away?

AppleStore Geniuses: do they repair PowerBook in-store, or is everything sent away?
workerbee
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 06:01 AM

For about two months now, my TiBook 800 has stopped all analog sound output. No speaker sound, no headphone sound, nada.
Besides what I described in the other posts, I've also booted from the original OS9 CD, re-installed 10.2, reset NVRAM and PRAM.

So now I'm pretty sure it is hardware.
Here in Europe, the PowerBook will be sent to Holland I believe for any repair, and I would have to do without it for at least a week.

Now I'm planning a trip to Palo Alto (and Cupertino ) in about two weeks, and am wondering: would they possibly try to fix this inhouse (it could just be a bad connection of the analog sound board to the motherboard) at the Palo Alto Apple Store, or is everything sent in to some central repair facility?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

urrl5201
Mar 28, 2003, 08:11 AM

It may be possible. I was contemplating having my 17" looked at because it would not eject Fujifilm blank CD's. The guy on the phone said the "geniouses" can take it apart to look at it and possibly fix it. I decided against doing it though since all other brand CD's work fine on my 17".

erichen
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 08:14 AM

Workerbee,

Apple's Geniuse Bar only repair/fix problems relating to the software.....for hardware problems, they would send to Apple care! But they usually fix it & send it back within a week!

~Eric

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by erichen:
(snip) for hardware problems, they would send to Apple care! But they usually fix it & send it back within a week!

~Eric
Thanks for the outlook... I'll probably have it sent in here then, as long as the warranty still is valid.

Now on to find a replacement CPU for the time

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 28, 2003, 10:35 PM

Also, even if you went to Cupertino, Apple's repair facility is in Texas.

tooki

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Also, even if you went to Cupertino, Apple's repair facility is in Texas.

tooki
Actually it's in Memphis for Powerbooks.

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 11:02 PM

They have cracked a few cases for me in the Dallas (willowbend) store to fix small problems on a couple of occasions. I think the sound problem will be a bit tougher than my airport antennae problem and will require a send off. Good luck.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2003, 11:30 PM

I have traditionally had my powerbook sent to Dallas, Texas for repair when I lived in the US....

They 'usually' will have a week or less turnaround, but if a part is backordered, it can be from a few weeks to a few months longer. I remember: I was waiting for nearly three months on a Ti 550's logic board.

Good luck, though. Backorders are fairly rare, so I wouldn't worry about it.

While in Cupertino, be sure to visit the Company Store, in the front of the 1 Infinite Loop apple building. I usually manage two blow $200 or more on logo merchandise (this is the only place in the world to get 'new' apple logo stuff!) each year I'm there (for MWSF), so plan ahead and bring some cash. They have lots of cool pens, hats, shirts, jackets, accessories (clockes, card holders, keychains, etc). One of the coolest things I have gotten is the Apple CD wallet. It's in with the shirts and stuff. It is way over priced at nearly $30, but it's very nice quality, and is a stylish way to carry some CD's with your 'book. Believe me - if you skimp on buying stuff there, and when you get home a world away, you'll be wishing that you would have gotten more stuff. Really! It may sound silly to spend so much on logo stuff, but it's really worth it.

Also, worth a look is Elite Computers across the street. They've got a good selection of software, hardware, and peripherals. I think they do repair, but I don't know about powerbooks. I don't think apple lets retailers to powerbook repairs anymore.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions about area apple highlights.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2003, 11:32 PM

BTW, elite computers is kind of hard to spot, it's in a brown wooden octagonal 'hut'. It's got a striped apple logo sign on it, too.

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by swsteckly:
While in Cupertino, be sure to visit the Company Store, in the front of the 1 Infinite Loop apple building.
Gr�ezi, and thanks for the tip, SWSteckly!
I remember the Apple Store from a few years back, when I was in CA for Siggraph and stayed a few days with friends in San Jos�, and I'll certainly remember to stop by.

Actually, we're going to go and visit a friend who works at Apple, so we'll be pretty close anyway

As for my PB, I'll see if I can get a replacement, and have it sent in here (meaning Switzerland), I guess. I still have about a month's worth of warranty, so I might try to sweet-talk to the apparently very very helpful Apple geniuses at the Apple Store Palo Alto first. I guess having Steve-o living up the street helps with the quality of service. Also my PA friend has spotted Phil Schiller buying stuff with/for his son there, which probably also helps...

Forum Links
Forum Rules