Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > poor range with airport extreme

poor range with airport extreme
athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 10:17 AM

Just got my new powerbook 17. For the most part very happy.

The only problem is with airport - I get next to no range at all. As soon as
I leave the room with the base station the signal simply disappears - I'm
barely getting 10 feet let alone 150.

I've tried changing most of the settings including the channel, the power
(only once I'd turned it down it was next to impossible to get the powerbook
close enough to turn it back up again!), I've also tried switching to b only
or g only or both. All seem to have little affect (except for turning the
power down which makes things much worse).

I've tried the base station in a number of different places around the room but none of them seem to give any better reception.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Tam
( Last edited by athos_uk; Mar 30, 2003 at 10:24 AM. )

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 12:22 PM

The card is probably not seated/installed properly. Check the connections.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2003, 04:20 PM

The biggest concern will be the antenna connection. That little cable is TINY, and you have to be careful to handle the connectors gently, but ensure that the connector seats fully. Good thing you usually don't have to do that more than once.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 11:31 PM

If you read more carefully, the range for Airport Extreme (i.e. 54 megabits/sec) is only 50 feet. Standard airport (802.11b, 11 megabits/sec) is what has a better range of 150 feet.

You may need to look into some of the external antenna which can increase your range. You have to have the upper-end model, though, as the cheaper version of the Airport Extreme basestation does not include a port for connecting an external antenna.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

athos_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
The card is probably not seated/installed properly. Check the connections.
Opened the powerbook up but couldn't find either the card or connector. Is the card user accessible on the 17inch, there is no mention of it in the manual.

athos_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by krove:
If you read more carefully, the range for Airport Extreme (i.e. 54 megabits/sec) is only 50 feet. Standard airport (802.11b, 11 megabits/sec) is what has a better range of 150 feet.
I switched it down to 802.11b in the hope of boosting the range but I can still only get a signal when the powerbook is right next to the base station.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by athos_uk:
Opened the powerbook up but couldn't find either the card or connector. Is the card user accessible on the 17inch, there is no mention of it in the manual.
Ya sorry, that model comes with the card pre-installed and not as an option, so it my be more difficult. If you can't locate it inside the computer, you'll need to figure out which is not working: the ABS or the internal card. Is there another wireless network around you can try? Or another 802.11b/g equipped laptop you could bring home?
Try this...
http://www.starbucks.com/retail/default.asp

Basically, I think you'll need to take it/them in for repair. If it's just a loose connector (probably), it'll just take a sec. Do you have a local Apple store nearby? Of course the Airport card could be bad. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal to get repaired.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Ya sorry, that model comes with the card pre-installed and not as an option, so it my be more difficult. If you can't locate it inside the computer, you'll need to figure out which is not working: the ABS or the internal card. Is there another wireless network around you can try? Or another 802.11b/g equipped laptop you could bring home?
Try this...
http://www.starbucks.com/retail/default.asp
athos_uk lives in the UK. I don't think starbucks in UK has 802.11b access yet.

I guess the athos_uk can bring his/her PowerBook to the Apple dealer and test it out there. I guess most Apple dealer would have a working AirPort available when they opens for business to demostrate AirPort to customers, so athos_uk could try it there.

Basically, I think you'll need to take it/them in for repair. If it's just a loose connector (probably), it'll just take a sec. Do you have a local Apple store nearby? Of course the Airport card could be bad. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal to get repaired.
Yeap. Given the 17" PowerBook is still under warranty, they would have to fix it for free.

athos_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
[B]athos_uk lives in the UK. I don't think starbucks in UK has 802.11b access yet.

I guess the athos_uk can bring his/her PowerBook to the Apple dealer and test it out there. I guess most Apple dealer would have a working AirPort available when they opens for business to demostrate AirPort to customers, so athos_uk could try it there.

Yeap. Given the 17" PowerBook is still under warranty, they would have to fix it for free.
Called up applecare today. Powerbook going back tomorrow. It's just not fair! Well, back to my trusty old imac for a couple more weeks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules