Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wow. In love. (audio related)

Wow. In love. (audio related)
imaxxedout69
Banned
Mar 28, 2003, 03:23 PM

http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?C...&MD=CDX-M850MP

I used to have a Sony CDX M650... it was cool, I loved the aluminum face plate with the huge active black panel... but man, I REALLY wanted an MP3 cd player for my car, that way you can just shove a CD in and get over 10 hours of music. I've been looking since I sold it (about 6 months now) for a decent replacement, and haven't found jack. Yeah, sure, there are a lot of MP3 players on the market now... but I wanted one that basically looked like my old one.

Well, there it is. Mp3 capabilities, same active black panel, Mmmmmmm I can't wait to get this sucker.

hehehehe

I'm not even an audiophile, I'm just really picky.

- $

benb
Mar 28, 2003, 03:41 PM

I thought that ground effects were supposed to come before the stereo system...

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout69:

I'm not even an audiophile, I'm just really picky.

that's a good way to be.
one post closer to five stars

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 28, 2003, 04:27 PM

Ground effects? On an SVX? They don't even make them... it doesn't need any.

I'm not a boomin system guy. I just replace the paper speakers with nice ones, and power them with quality juice (alpine).

- $

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 04:40 PM

Nice.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2003, 05:07 PM

I had MP3 players in my cars since early 2001

First I had my trusty PC laptop (which is still my main machine) connected to the AUX in my car stereo.

Later in the year I bought a super-cheap Tavarua Discman, connected to the same AUX. It kept me awake in the long drives within WA.

Then I moved to FL, sold the car, got another one. I got the AIWA CDC-MP32 for $150 last year. I have no complaints.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2003, 06:03 PM

I'm not even an audiophile
That much was clear the second you mentioned Sony.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2003, 08:21 PM

Take a look at that website - brushed metal interface indeed!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Its all the same, don't act like theres any noticable difference.

That said I don't like Sony's receivers, just the way it is set up and all, I like simple and fast. JVC does that for me nicely. Still, thats a sweet deck.

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 28, 2003, 08:46 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
Its all the same, don't act like theres any noticable difference.
Between what? Sony, Kenwood, and Aiwa?

Damn right there ain't.

Sony is notorious for making each new generation of products flashier, blinkier, and shinier than the last - usually at the expense of sound quality. (Note that flashy hardware, buttons, displays, etc. cost MUCH more than, say, a better D/A chip or algorithm, and any hardware costs incurred are usually passed on to consumers at about 8x what they cost the manufacturer. You do the math.)

Sony's pro audio stuff is pretty good, but their consumer stuff has been utter rip-off shite since the early 80's.

Do a direct (listening) comparison between a Sony and a Phillips, for example - the Phillips equipment will kill it, every time.

Sorry, I realize this is kind of a tangent, but the tag-word was "audiophile", and it was just so off-base.

-s*

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 03:13 PM

I agree to an extent about the 'flashyness', but thats why I like this deck. NO BUTTONS. Just a visualization. And considering I won't be running the internal amp, and instead feeding the sound directly to the Alpine 4 channel amp, it'll sound great, just like my last car did. I'm also not using sony speakers, so yeah, you're wrong.

- Ca$h

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 03:45 PM

I agree to an extent about the 'flashyness', but thats why I like this deck. NO BUTTONS. Just a visualization. And considering I won't be running the internal amp, and instead feeding the sound directly to the Alpine 4 channel amp, it'll sound great, just like my last car did. I'm also not using sony speakers, so yeah, you're wrong.

- Ca$h
Dude, the speakers, as long as they have decent frequency response, don't matter nearly as much.

Either way, for a car stereo, it really doesn't matter.

"Audiophile" and "car stereo" go together like "luxury" and "cremation". You can spend tremendous amounts of money, but at the end of the day, you're still just pissing in the wind.

-s*

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 04:51 PM

I agree, kinda. While a car's interior acoustics are nightmarish, the fact that you can sit inside a 'sealed' atmosphere is very very good. Roll your windows up, and if you have good quality speakers, a bit of power, and nice wiring, you will have EXCELLENT sound.

- Ca$h

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 05:24 PM

you will have EXCELLENT sound.
relative term.

It will have no fidelity to the original recording, but it will be fun if you're into that sort of thing.

At least until somebody shoots you dead for booming his neighborhood at 1 a.m.

-s'

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2003, 07:19 PM

I say: if the person listening to it thinks it sounds good thats all that matters .

-Owl

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 08:59 PM

relative term.

It will have no fidelity to the original recording, but it will be fun if you're into that sort of thing.

At least until somebody shoots you dead for booming his neighborhood at 1 a.m.

-s'
I am not a 'boomer'.

I've never owned an automobile with a subwoofer.

However, if you've been in a car with a stock stereo, and been in a car where every speaker has been replaced with high quality components (not just stock paper **** speakers with a box and a sub), the wiring has been replaced, and you have a dedicated external amplifier powering them, it will sound AMAZING in comparison to where you started.

You're just being stupid, like a lot of audiophiles. Oh great, you spent a ton of money on your so called 'high fidelity' speakers, you got out the measuring tape to arrange your speakers perfectly, used all this theory, bla bla bla, yet what room do you use it in? Is the door ever open? What? You have other things in the room? You realize they reflect soundwaves as well right.

Pfffft.

Audio snobs annoy the piss out of me. You can have your self proclaimed fidelity, mean while all the normal people who don't have their heads shoved up their asses will realize that music in my car sounds pretty good.

- Ca$h

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
I say: if the person listening to it thinks it sounds good thats all that matters .
Oh, I agree, entirely. I was just stating my preference.

The boomer reference was more tongue-in-cheek.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2003, 12:22 AM

However, if you've been in a car with a stock stereo, and been in a car where every speaker has been replaced with high quality components (not just stock paper **** speakers with a box and a sub), the wiring has been replaced, and you have a dedicated external amplifier powering them, it will sound AMAZING in comparison to where you started.
No disagreement here. I'm just saying that a) this isn't worth the investment of more than, say $200 including speaker - to me - , and b) Sony is **** in the consumer area, as are Kenwood and Aiwa (though the latter seems mildly preferable).

You're just being stupid, like a lot of audiophiles. Oh great, you spent a ton of money on your so called 'high fidelity' speakers, you got out the measuring tape to arrange your speakers perfectly, used all this theory, bla bla bla, yet what room do you use it in? Is the door ever open? What? You have other things in the room? You realize they reflect soundwaves as well right.
Actually, my speakers cost about 1/6 of what I've invested in the turntable, and about 1/2 of what the amp cost me.

But otherwise, golly, you've sure got me pegged.

We're not all idiots, anymore than people who buy car stereos are all idiots, right?

Right?

Audio snobs annoy the piss out of me. You can have your self proclaimed fidelity, mean while all the normal people who don't have their heads shoved up their asses will realize that music in my car sounds pretty good.
Actually, the fidelity is pretty much defined by the recording.

And there's a difference between not having your head shoved up your ass and just not caring much either way.

I do.

And I won't speculate about what *you* happen to have shoved up your ass - though I'm sure I could make an educated guess.

-s*

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 30, 2003, 02:25 PM

Go eat some Kraut

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2003, 03:00 PM

LOL!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 10:42 PM

classy cash

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 30, 2003, 10:58 PM

Which, my remarks toward the German or the stereo selection?

- Ca$h

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 11:32 PM

All of it, i just laugh when you get pissy because someone knows more about somthing then you do.

I for one think investing any real sort of money in a car system is pointless, the envrionment that you are in is really nasty, there is no good way to get decent flat response from the inside the car. Plus when i like to listen to music thats it listen to music, so thats why i think its kinda pointless to get any sort of deck that is over the top, if a cd player that plays cds has some decent guts to it and only cost a fraction of the one with all the bells and whistles then i am going to buy the one that fits my needs and nothig more.

I save my cash for more worthy components for my homesystem where i can correct most of the problems because i am not limited with power and space.
( Last edited by G4ME; Mar 30, 2003 at 11:39 PM. )

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 31, 2003, 01:16 AM

I'm not talking about spending serious money, I'm talking about spending eh.. about 800 bucks total. Do you think that deck is over the top?! I don't. Look at hte prices of most CD MP3 players.. that's about average. That isn't so bad. Especially if you spend a lot of time in your car, like me. I've only had my SVX since August, but I've already put 11,000 miles on it. That's a decent amount of seat time, and if you're going to be in it, you might as well have good tunes.

I'm not one of those audio freaks who gets into decibel ratings and all that crap, but if you replace your speakers with quality ones, have an external amp to provide them with enough power, and a CD player (I happen to prefer Mp3 CD players, that way you don't have to change discs often... 1 cd=10 hours of music, and I also happen to like ones that look cool instead of just 'work'), you're going to have some NICE sound. Not LOUD sound, not OBNOXIOUS sound, but NICE sound.

And I hate it when people bitch about the acoustics of the interior... yeah, they aren't the greatest... but if you think about it, they have a few things above your normal home stereo setup...

1. You're in a sealed container....

2. You don't have huge reflective walls that make the music 'echoey' like a big room would.

3. Cars have a lot of soft materials in them, so they absorb sound quite well.

So yeah, car stereos are cool, as long as it isn't over the top, but I've never suggested doing so.

- Ca$h

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2003, 02:40 AM

yeah a metal car really absorbs the sounds well many of the high end car freaks got as far as taking off the door panel and coat the sheet metel with a sort of rubber under coating to lower the FS.

the thing with most cars that come straight from the factory, is that the interior has a resonating frequncy (FS) of aroung 40hz, give or take 5 hz, now this really only effects the lowend by giving it a huge hump. this is why those 50 dollar subs in the OSB boxes sound like crap, they basicly play that one FS so they sound like a boom box.

Now compare tha to my room, my FS is down around 25 hz, now how much music do you listen to with 25 hz notes? allbeit i got a bunch of DVDs with lower notes them that but not many. But what i can do, that you guys in the car industrt (with out spending a fortune) is use a Parametric Equalizer where i can break a normal 1/6th octave eq (normal 31 band eq) in to a 1/60 eq and fine tune my sub to get an almost compleatly flat response in my room.

Along with other sound deadinging you can take a simple room and add a few bass traps, some thick carpeting with huge pads, and some sound absorbing tapastries and you will have a vastly supperior setup.

I am gald to hear that you arn't over the top with your audio system as you are with everything else with your car. Just remember how long are you going to keep that car? and how much, money/time will it take to remove it from your car?

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 31, 2003, 12:30 PM

Ever been in an SVX? It's all leather, suede, padded vinyl, etc. It's one of the quietest cars I've been in. Tons of sound deadening. Hence it absorbs a lot of sound. You shut the doors and it sounds like a vault.

- Ca$h

PS: How am I over the top with my car? I drive a stock SVX with nice tires, and warp-proof rotors with plain old pads.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2003, 01:30 PM

its all you seem to care about

BTW where are those speakers located? any of them in the door pannel? if so then you are using the internal cavity of the door as a "box" and with sheet metal as the majority of the box it makes for horible accoustics.

but if your good 6x9's the ones that you drive more are in the back dash then your accoustics will be slightly better, seeing that your trunk is carpeted. and a larger volume

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 01:43 PM

in my experience audiophiles are more interested in numbers, specs, and status then in enjoying music. they're never satisfied.
one post closer to five stars

benb
Mar 31, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
its all you seem to care about

BTW where are those speakers located? any of them in the door pannel? if so then you are using the internal cavity of the door as a "box" and with sheet metal as the majority of the box it makes for horible accoustics.

but if your good 6x9's the ones that you drive more are in the back dash then your accoustics will be slightly better, seeing that your trunk is carpeted. and a larger volume
Yes, and it is like being at a concert with your back to the stage.

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 31, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by dav:
in my experience audiophiles are more interested in numbers, specs, and status then in enjoying music. they're never satisfied.
That's what I'm trying to say. I've never been into numbers, I've been into what sounds good.

And, FYI G4ME, it's the same speaker setup as the neon... 6X9s on the package shelf, 6.5s in the door (that will be sealed), and tweeters in the dash, pointing at me.

It sounds good.

- Ca$h

PS: You've never explained how I'm over the top.

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 31, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Yes, and it is like being at a concert with your back to the stage.
You believe concerts have good acoustics? Bahahahahah.

Seriously, in a car you get most of your 'imaging' from the front speakers and the tweeters. The 6X9s I have in back aren't even three way; they're just big 2-way 6X9s with big magnets, great suspension, and a lot of travel. More like a subwoofer than anything else, though they do sport 'aimable' silk tweeters. They came with a crossover to keep the tweeters from doing anything they shouldn't be doing, as with the woofer.

- Ca$h

benb
Mar 31, 2003, 02:37 PM

You believe concerts have good acoustics? Bahahahahah.

Seriously, in a car you get most of your 'imaging' from the front speakers and the tweeters. The 6X9s I have in back aren't even three way; they're just big 2-way 6X9s with big magnets, great suspension, and a lot of travel. More like a subwoofer than anything else, though they do sport 'aimable' silk tweeters. They came with a crossover to keep the tweeters from doing anything they shouldn't be doing, as with the woofer.

- Ca$h
When did I say concerts had good acoustics?

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 31, 2003, 02:39 PM

I was assuming thats what you meant. Hey, hwats with your sig line?! That's funny! HehEHEhe. Is it from anything?

- Ca$h

benb
Mar 31, 2003, 02:42 PM

I was assuming thats what you meant. Hey, hwats with your sig line?! That's funny! HehEHEhe. Is it from anything?

- Ca$h
Nah, just meant that a big pair of 6x9's can make it sound like the band is behind you, not in front of you where they should be.

You might like this one: Two sausages are frying in a pan. One turns to the other and says, "Gee, don't you think its getting hot in here?" And the other sausage says, "AHH! A talking sausage!"

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 31, 2003, 02:46 PM

HehEHeHhHehHEhe. I don't know hwy I find that so funny.

hehHEhehe.

AhAHahah.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2003, 08:36 PM

That's what I'm trying to say. I've never been into numbers.

omg i can't belive you just said that. you are one way with audio and 180 with cars. from what i read about its all about the numbers on a car,

SRT has XXX amount more HP then the WRX
XXXft lb of torque
it can pull XXXgs on the skid pad
0-60 in XXX amount of time
the quarter mile in XXX sec @ XXXmph

but you could care less about the interior and quality of the car. It seems like its all about performance.

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Mar 31, 2003, 10:41 PM

but you could care less about the interior and quality of the car. It seems like its all about performance.
Ding Ding Ding! You're the opposite. You don't care how fast it is, or how it handles, you just want something that sounds good.

- Ca$h

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 12:34 AM

when did i say i wanted somthing to sound good in my car?

I for one think investing any real sort of money in a car system is pointless, the envrionment that you are in is really nasty, there is no good way to get decent flat response from the inside the car. Plus when i like to listen to music thats it listen to music, so thats why i think its kinda pointless to get any sort of deck that is over the top, if a cd player that plays cds has some decent guts to it and only cost a fraction of the one with all the bells and whistles then i am going to buy the one that fits my needs and nothig more.
i belive i said that

i don't care how fast it is, i like style, and comfort more then preformance.

I personally think my volvo handles great has the tightest turning radius, the only thing that remotly compares to it is our 72 MG midget. It has decent perrelis (SP) with wider then stock tread. I am happy with it.

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Apr 1, 2003, 01:17 AM

Exactly, yet you're the guy who was talking about 'you'll never get quality sound in a car, bla bla bla, I built my speakers and I can get to -12 hertz at 2000 decibels so there!

And I'm the guy saying your volvo is an underpowere 80s POS that doesn't handle and I have an AWD 230hp sports coupe that handles great and goes 150mph so there!

See?

- Ca$h

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 01:22 AM

wow i would **** my self if i could get those kind of levels

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Apr 1, 2003, 01:41 AM

FYI, I fugged up the audio stats on purpose, I'm not really THAT clueless.

I just don't care about the numbers.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2003, 02:49 PM

wow i would **** my self if i could get those kind of levels
I'm pretty sure 2000 dB would mean instant death. Severe internal injuries at the very least, depending on the frequency.

Though, of course, at -12 Hz, things may be different, since you've already defied the laws of thermodynamics.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2003, 12:31 AM

nothling like a sound wave with negative cycles,

i can say that i have hit a 10 hz note, its was barely noticable but damn did that cone move

imaxxedout69  (op)
Banned
Apr 2, 2003, 12:33 AM

nothling like a sound wave with negative cycles,

i can say that i have hit a 10 hz note, its was barely noticable but damn did that cone move
OMG you are soo cool.

Tristrami
Senior User
Apr 2, 2003, 12:35 AM

I thought this was another post about his fianc�...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2003, 03:33 AM

Heh. Fried speakers are one of the joys of synthesis.

Forum Links
Forum Rules