Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.5 sneakypeek 1 available - uses Webcore (Safari)

OmniWeb 4.5 sneakypeek 1 available - uses Webcore (Safari) (Page 2)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
It's to limit the tester pool so that everyone and their god isn't sending us email
I dunno, if it were me, I think it'd be kind of cool to have Yahweh, Jesus, Allah, and Buddha doing my beta testing...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

justinmilo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 05:04 PM

Wait, so did you guys reverse engineer webcore? I thought Apple had yet to release a usable framework for webcore, kwq, etc. I remember people trying to use webcore in cocoa apps and not getting it work. You guys somehow managed it? When Apple releases a framework for webcore are you going to go with that, or continue with your own?
justin

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by m.brown:
Go to the Omnigroup store - request a trial licecnce - 1 day - and then go to:

this part of macromedia's website

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the "Additional Questions

How did you learn about the pirated software"

See in the upper right hand corner of the text field there is a square with a plus in it - click it - woah mama!

I love that effect.
Wow amazing, I love it !!

solbo
Apr 9, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by justinmilo:
Wait, so did you guys reverse engineer webcore? I thought Apple had yet to release a usable framework for webcore, kwq, etc. I remember people trying to use webcore in cocoa apps and not getting it work. You guys somehow managed it? When Apple releases a framework for webcore are you going to go with that, or continue with your own?
WebCore is an open source framework why would they need to reverse engineer it?

It isn't built into the OS as an accessible Framework yet, but maybe it will be in Panther.

justinmilo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 05:52 PM

I meant the bridge of WebCore to Cocoa, which isn't open source. WebCore is open source, but from what I understood it doesn't display much by itself. I don't think Apple hasn't finished the SDK for it yet.

When WebCore was first released quite a few cocoa programers tried to build an application around it and ran into a ton of difficulties. I'm assuming that Omni figured out these issues and reverse engineered the bridge that takes the layout from khtml and makes it an actual view.
justin

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 05:54 PM

...See in the upper right hand corner of the text field there is a square with a plus in it - click it - woah mama!

I love that effect.
This is actually in 4.2 (and has been for a while). No need for a license/sneaky peak to try it out.
cpac

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by justinmilo:
I wouldn't exactly say we reverse engineered it, but we did spend about a month (in fact, we still are) researching various ways of interacting with WebCore in a stable, efficient manner. The problem is that although KHTML has some fairly extensive documentation, there is little to no documentation for WebCore.

The plan right now is to continue to use our own layer over WebCore instead of using Apple's upcoming Safari SDK (WebKit, WebFoundation). Among other things, this allows us to make bug fixes and customizations at our own pace instead of waiting for Apple to do it for us.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 06:00 PM

Rickster:
Just wanna say good luck with your work. I'm looking forward to testing out the fully-functional OW 4.5 and OW 5.0, hopefully by then you'll implement TABS and BETTER pop-up blocking. Because right now, pop-up blocking is horrible compared to Camino & Safari.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Because right now, pop-up blocking is horrible compared to Camino & Safari.
Does nobody ever read release notes? 4.2's pop-up blocking is fine, if not more sophisticated that Safari's & Camino's. The release notes for 4.5sp1 explicitely state that pop-up blocking is not yet working (nor all all the ad blocking things, or auto-fill, or various other options).
cpac

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 06:22 PM

Rickster:
Just wanna say good luck with your work. I'm looking forward to testing out the fully-functional OW 4.5 and OW 5.0, hopefully by then you'll implement TABS and BETTER pop-up blocking. Because right now, pop-up blocking is horrible compared to Camino & Safari.
All privacy feautres are disabled in SP1, look at the release notes. This includes pop-up blocking.

-matt

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
The plan right now is to continue to use our own layer over WebCore instead of using Apple's upcoming Safari SDK (WebKit, WebFoundation). Among other things, this allows us to make bug fixes and customizations at our own pace instead of waiting for Apple to do it for us.
T2: does Omni's layer allow things like multi-threading and source editing? Or will it?

Nice decision with the liscened sp.

~BS

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
T2: does Omni's layer allow things like multi-threading and source editing? Or will it?
~BS
Unfortunately, WebCore/KHTML is designed to be run in a single thread. So while we retain our multithreaded networking stuff, we have to do layout and rendering in the main thread. We're going to explore some options and see if we can do anything about that.

Our source editor does work in 4.5, though there are some bugs with reformatting.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
I dunno, if it were me, I think it'd be kind of cool to have Yahweh, Jesus, Allah, and Buddha doing my beta testing...
Oops... I meant to type the common phrase "everyone and their dog", though "everyone and their god" would certainly be interesting. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

When WebCore was first released quite a few cocoa programers tried to build an application around it and ran into a ton of difficulties. I'm assuming that Omni figured out these issues and reverse engineered the bridge that takes the layout from khtml and makes it an actual view.
Part of the problem was that the first attempts people made to use WebCore sort of assumed it was a complete "web engine". It's not -- it expects to be plugged into something greater which provides text layout, image rendering, integration into the NSView hierarchy, etc, and as Tim2 notes, the procotols for doing this weren't documented. But again, it's hard to call the process of figuring out how to use that "reverse engineering" since WebCore is open source.

To further elaborate on Tim2's comments: Apple's forthcoming Safari SDK (WebKit/WebFoundation) is expected to be closed-source. This will be fine for everybody who wants to embed an HTML viewer as a "black box" within their app... but we're making a full-featured web browser. In order to distinguish ourselves from the competition we need the freedom to enhance functionality and add innovative features in any part of the software, and we can't do that with a "black box". Features like the cookie filtering and zoomed form editor we've brought forward from 4.2 to 4.5 would be much more difficult without being able to modify the "engine" parts.

All privacy feautres are disabled in SP1, look at the release notes.
Not so much "disabled" as "unimplemented".

does Omni's layer allow things like multi-threading and source editing?
You'll notice the source editor with "live" redisplaying works just great in 4.5sp1.

We're still using OWF and OmniNetworking "below" WebCore, so we still get the benefits of our multithreaded pipeline architecture. Unfortunately, WebCore and JavaScriptCore aren't at all thread-safe, so the efficiency boost from threaded networking is offset by having all the layout and script evaluation clobbering the main thread. We've got an idea or two for dealing with that, though.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

flysky
Apr 9, 2003, 07:46 PM

Thanks to Rick and Tim for clearing that up about threading and earlier about text rendering, since the latter in particular is somethat that OW has always seemed to do better than other browsers. I guess, for now, at least in those regards, using WC and JCS is a good news/bad news proposition. Glad to hear you have some ideas about improving in both areas.

I'm also wondering, though, what, if anything, the move to WC and JCS means for multi-processor support.

I'm looking forward to getting home and trying out 4.5sp1.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 09:24 PM

As mentioned in T2's and my last posts, we're still multithreaded. So we still benefit from multiple processors. The problem is that we aren't able to use multiple threads in as many places as in our old engine, so the performance boost from multiple processors is less than in 4.2. Also, a lot of work has to be done in the main thread, which means AppKit gets less time to process events, which makes the app less responsive while it's working. But it's still prety early in the 4.5 development cycle, and this may change.

BTW, sneaky peek 2 is coming soon.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 09:42 PM

cpac & rickster:
I should clarify that I WAS referring to OmniWeb 4.2. The pop-up blocking is still bad compared to Camino and Safari. Test them out at www.mail.com and see for yourself.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 09:59 PM

cpac & rickster:
I should clarify that I WAS referring to OmniWeb 4.2. The pop-up blocking is still bad compared to Camino and Safari. Test them out at www.mail.com and see for yourself.
I've found OW 4.2's privacy features to be far superior. I clicked around for a bit on mail.com and had no pop-ups. You do realize you need to set it to block pop ups right?

~BS

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
I've found OW 4.2's privacy features to be far superior. I clicked around for a bit on mail.com and had no pop-ups. You do realize you need to set it to block pop ups right?

~BS
Yes, that is a given. I guess your experiences were different.

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 01:01 AM

sp2 is out

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2003, 01:13 AM

Omniweb -> IE -> Omniweb -> Chimera -> Safari -> Camino...now Omniweb again?!?

I curse you guys for making such a great browser...AGAIN!

Keep up the great work guys, can't wait to make Omniweb my default browser again.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 01:56 AM

Rickster or ratlater
I must commend OmniWeb on how beautifully it renders text though. Why is it that text looks so nice in OW and NOT in Camino or Safari? I can't explain it except to say that staring at the text in OmniWeb is so much more pleasant than in Safari or Camino.

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 03:36 AM

@Rickster:
Now that you will be using Webcore, does that mean, that you too will help improving it? Or do you let Apple and the KDE guys do all the bug fixing for the rendering engine? I think the more people help out with it, the faster we will get the best rendering engine out there. But please don't fork your own version of Webcore!
Another question: When Webcore will eventually be implemented system wide, will OW directly be able to use an updated Webcore version, or do you intend to ship your own Webcore bundle with each release?

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 10, 2003, 07:01 AM

Rickster or ratlater
I must commend OmniWeb on how beautifully it renders text though. Why is it that text looks so nice in OW and NOT in Camino or Safari? I can't explain it except to say that staring at the text in OmniWeb is so much more pleasant than in Safari or Camino.
I agree that fonts look far superior to Camino, but Safari and OmniWeb have exactly the same beatiful font rendering

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by ablaze:
@Rickster:
Now that you will be using Webcore, does that mean, that you too will help improving it? Or do you let Apple and the KDE guys do all the bug fixing for the rendering engine? I think the more people help out with it, the faster we will get the best rendering engine out there. But please don't fork your own version of Webcore!
Another question: When Webcore will eventually be implemented system wide, will OW directly be able to use an updated Webcore version, or do you intend to ship your own Webcore bundle with each release?
I think Rickster has already said that any bug fixes are submitted back (they have to be, otherwise Omni would be in breach of the open source licence that enables them to use Webcore).

FWIW, for those of you just discovering the + button on forms (which was introduced with 4.2), you can actually change the font and font size used on the pop-up sheet that appears via the system Font panel (command-T) - a big boon to those with not-so-good eyesight.

P.S. Thanks to the omni folk for clarifying the font metrics bug I was experiencing.

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
I think Rickster has already said that any bug fixes are submitted back (they have to be, otherwise Omni would be in breach of the open source licence that enables them to use Webcore).

FWIW, for those of you just discovering the + button on forms (which was introduced with 4.2), you can actually change the font and font size used on the pop-up sheet that appears via the system Font panel (command-T) - a big boon to those with not-so-good eyesight.

P.S. Thanks to the omni folk for clarifying the font metrics bug I was experiencing.
Who introduced that Omni group or Webcore?

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 08:22 AM

Omni Group. It's not in Safari.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Omni Group. It's not in Safari.
It is a very cool feature.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2003, 09:42 AM

It is a very cool feature.
This would be one of the reasons why I paid for OmniWeb.

Here are some others (off the top of my head now that I sit in front of an NT workstation).