Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Slot load iMac firmware problem

Slot load iMac firmware problem
Nilram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2003, 03:36 AM

Hey everyone. I made a booboo! I (attempted) to install jag over the top of OS 8.6 without having the firmware updated all the way. Now its totally hosed. It starts up and chimes, the cd drive spins up, but once thats happened it acts like it goes to sleep but the power light stays solid green. The screen never comes on at all. Once this happens the only thing I can do it pull the plug. I've tried booting to cd, to firewire hd, to open firmware, and I even pulled the internal drive and formatted it, but I'm still stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks.
If you would like to contact me, please use my icq number. 8273989

Kenandles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 12:13 PM

Try this: X] [iMac CRT]Jag and the Slotload iMac:Watch Out
Here is a heads-up: write this down somewhere you won't lose it.

While prepping a Blueberry slot-load iMac 350 for shipment, I installed Mac OS X 10.2.0 and then 10.2.6 combo update over the existing OS 9.0.0. I found out the hard way that:

- Installing OS X 10.2 on a slot-load iMac which has not had the 4.1.9 firmware update results in NO VIDEO. No warning is given, and the Jagwyre install does not check for the proper firmware.

- Installing the 4.1.9 firmware requires OS 9.1 or better.
- Installing OS 9.2 requires 9.1, OS 9.2.1 requires OS 9.1, and OS 9.2.2 requires OS 9.2.1.

- With dead video, I think most of us who did not know about this problem would assume a hardware problem, and indeed I discovered that many iMac owners had coughed up more than $500 in replacement video boards and motherboards.

A genius posted on the Apple Discussion boards that installing Jag without the 4.1.9 Firmware would indeed kill the video - there is nothing wrong with the hardware. Here is the simple solution to solve the problem:

- Get the 4.1.9 firmware .smi from the Apple Downloads site. Burn a CD,
- Boot the iMac into OS 9. It will have no video at all.
- Wait for the hard drive to quiet down, indicating complete boot.
- Hit Return in case the OS is asking for something.
- Put the iMac to sleep by pressing the front-panel power button for one second. It will start to display the pulsating orange button.
- Wait at least one minute, and then hit a key to wake up the iMac.
- Video will be restored.
- Insert the CD, double-click the firmware update .smi, and copy the resulting installer to the desktop.
- Launch the installer.
- The installer will instruct you to shut down.
- After shut down, hold the Programmer's Key (to the right of the Reset button) in with a ballpoint pen while pressing the Power button.
- When a long (4 second) tone is heard, release the key and the button.
- The iMac will boot into OS 9 with normal video.

PRAM reset is done by this procedure, so time, date, mouse, etc. may have to be reset.

You too can appear to be a genius and save your eager Jagwyre-crazed friend or relative from getting hit with unneeded hardware repair bills.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2003, 02:07 AM

I think it's possible to use a secondary monitor plugged into the VGA slot on the iMac as your display if you're having trouble with the built-in display.

Though I'm hazy on the hardware details, I'm pretty sure this would require a $19.99 adapter for the VGA output to a CRT screen.

bstoned
Feb 19, 2004, 06:28 AM

I had same problem... (400Mhz Blue)
Was repaired by: remove & reseating RAM, resetting PRAM; by being persistent was able to get machine to load eventually! Installed 9.1, then did firmware update. Still inconsistent starting. Clean installed 9.1 & firmware update 4.1.9, Applescript Udate 1.8.3, Authoring Support 1.1.9, CarboLib 1.6, then OS 9.2.1 & 9.2.2 updates. Then ran okay. Ran Disk Warrior & Norton Disk Doctor & finally machine was back to it's former glory.

Hope this helps!!

Originally posted by Nilram:
Hey everyone. I made a booboo! I (attempted) to install jag over the top of OS 8.6 without having the firmware updated all the way. Now its totally hosed. It starts up and chimes, the cd drive spins up, but once thats happened it acts like it goes to sleep but the power light stays solid green. The screen never comes on at all. Once this happens the only thing I can do it pull the plug. I've tried booting to cd, to firewire hd, to open firmware, and I even pulled the internal drive and formatted it, but I'm still stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks.

cms
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Kenandles:
Try this: X] [iMac CRT]Jag and the Slotload iMac:Watch Out
Here is a heads-up: write this down somewhere you won't lose it.

While prepping a Blueberry slot-load iMac 350 for shipment, I installed Mac OS X 10.2.0 and then 10.2.6 combo update over the existing OS 9.0.0. I found out the hard way that:

- Installing OS X 10.2 on a slot-load iMac which has not had the 4.1.9 firmware update results in NO VIDEO. No warning is given, and the Jagwyre install does not check for the proper firmware.

- Installing the 4.1.9 firmware requires OS 9.1 or better.
- Installing OS 9.2 requires 9.1, OS 9.2.1 requires OS 9.1, and OS 9.2.2 requires OS 9.2.1.

- With dead video, I think most of us who did not know about this problem would assume a hardware problem, and indeed I discovered that many iMac owners had coughed up more than $500 in replacement video boards and motherboards.

A genius posted on the Apple Discussion boards that installing Jag without the 4.1.9 Firmware would indeed kill the video - there is nothing wrong with the hardware. Here is the simple solution to solve the problem:

- Get the 4.1.9 firmware .smi from the Apple Downloads site. Burn a CD,
- Boot the iMac into OS 9. It will have no video at all.
- Wait for the hard drive to quiet down, indicating complete boot.
- Hit Return in case the OS is asking for something.
- Put the iMac to sleep by pressing the front-panel power button for one second. It will start to display the pulsating orange button.
- Wait at least one minute, and then hit a key to wake up the iMac.
- Video will be restored.
- Insert the CD, double-click the firmware update .smi, and copy the resulting installer to the desktop.
- Launch the installer.
- The installer will instruct you to shut down.
- After shut down, hold the Programmer's Key (to the right of the Reset button) in with a ballpoint pen while pressing the Power button.
- When a long (4 second) tone is heard, release the key and the button.
- The iMac will boot into OS 9 with normal video.

PRAM reset is done by this procedure, so time, date, mouse, etc. may have to be reset.

You too can appear to be a genius and save your eager Jagwyre-crazed friend or relative from getting hit with unneeded hardware repair bills.
Just to confirm that this fix does, indeed work. Many thanks to the poster, who definitely ehnanced my reputation as someone who fixes Macs, and saved my friend a very very expensive repair bill! Litle blue iMac now running 10.2.8 with the help of an extra stick of RAM, Airport-enabled and proving a very useful second machine in my friend's busy household.

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules