Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Flawless FREE Method of PC-to-Mac File Transfer!

Flawless FREE Method of PC-to-Mac File Transfer!
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 06:35 PM

Switching to Mac and have tons of mp3s, Word docs, and other vital files that you really need on your Mac?

Well of course you can buy Move2Mac, or any other file transfer software/special cables, but of course no one wants to pay anything when it can be done easier. Well, there's a nifty option of "Connect to Server" on Macs in which you can mount your PC's hard drive on your Mac's desktop when both computers are on the same LAN and drag files onto your Mac, but this presents a huge problem at times. This feature is still very unstable a large majority of the time, and it was consistantly freeze up both machine in the process of transferring files, and as a Mac newbie I had no other clue what to do when I myself tried this but to keep restarting both machines and trying again. Well about 15 tries later a hard reset did more than make me ill, it screwed a boot sector on my 17" PBs hard drive, rendering the machine completely unbootable, even after running Disk Utility numerous times, and even trying to "Archive & Install". I was left with no option but to completely reformat & reinstall OS X, rendering all my previous setting up the machine work useless.

So after reinstalling, spending countless hours awake re-setting up everything and getting over my anger, I was still back to the drawing board presented with the same problem: I had 19.5gigs of mp3s on my PC that I really needed on my Mac, and no USB/FireWire External HD. So after racking my brain, I thought of something to try, and lo and behold it worked 98% seemlessly, was absolutely free, and never once caused my Mac any trouble! So what is this magical solution? Well, the thing you'd probably never think of, actually: Yahoo Messenger.

The latest versions of Yahoo Messenger for PC & Mac have something amazing built-in: when two users are logged on, and sending messages and files (the files is the key here) over the same LAN, it automatically defaults to sending those messages/files via the LAN rather than the internet. So this allows for speeds up to 100Mbps for File Transfers between the machines connected via Yahoo Messenger on the same LAN! So you log onto Y! Messenger on your PC using one username, and on your Mac using another messagename, message each other, request to send a file, make the Mac accept it, and BAM! Your file is instantly being transferred from the PC to the Mac at LAN speeds and it won't crash the machines like "Connect to Server" will! The only reason I said "98%" seemless above is that ONE single time out of 30 transfers my PC *ONLY* locked up and required a reboot, while the Mac just cancelled the transfer and awaited another one...BEAUTIFUL!!

However, the only limitation I've seen is that the files need to be under 900MB in size, as 900MB+ files will download but WON'T finalize and save onto the Mac's HD (I let it sit 6 hours hoping it would eventually save, but it won't, so just divide files up to chunks of 900MB and under). So I created about 25 or so .zip files using StuffIt for Windows with ~900MB of mp3s in each of them, and a couple hours later, I had all 19gigs of my music onto my Mac without crashing the Mac a single time!

So, in conclusion, Yahoo Messenger is the answer to all home networking transfers between PC's and Macs! Just have both machines on a LAN and Y! Messenger will send files at LAN speeds! WOOHOO!! Hope this helps other switchers out, enjoy!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2003, 09:21 PM

Too cool. Just too cool! Thanks!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 09:39 AM

Wow, good tip. I wonder if AIM/iChat would work the same?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
Wow, good tip. I wonder if AIM/iChat would work the same?
AIM will not, unfortunately. AIM will connect the two via internet speeds (I tried it, hehe), unlike how Yahoo Messenger skips the internet entirely and connects them at LAN speeds.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

bzImage
Apr 9, 2003, 10:31 PM

Err.. why not configure SAMBA and setup the mac os machine as a SMB file server ?

This way you will be able to transfer files from the windows pc without any external program or anything.

Easier, faster, free..

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by bzImage:
Err.. why not configure SAMBA and setup the mac os machine as a SMB file server ?

This way you will be able to transfer files from the windows pc without any external program or anything.

Easier, faster, free..
As I explained, this is precisely what I did that corrupted my boot sector and caused all the trouble in the first place. This is a good method, however, all the quirks clearly haven't been worked out as I'm not the only one who's encountered conflicts using this method. This was just a tip to those who ran into the same issues I did doing it the way OS X intended for you to do it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

superlarry
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
AIM will not, unfortunately. AIM will connect the two via internet speeds (I tried it, hehe), unlike how Yahoo Messenger skips the internet entirely and connects them at LAN speeds.
if you set up a direct IM session, it should do it over the LAN. i thought it did this automatically, though.. at least it works here on my LAN.
anyway, good creative thinking :c)

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by superlarry:
if you set up a direct IM session, it should do it over the LAN. i thought it did this automatically, though.. at least it works here on my LAN.
anyway, good creative thinking :c)
I tried a direct IM session, and although I got speeds of near 200k/sec, it was nothing compared to the megs per sec. of the Yahoo Messenger transfer.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

-Q-
Apr 10, 2003, 11:23 AM

Great tip! Thanks for the info. You should send that to MacOS X Hints...

djjava
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 11:47 AM

I tried a direct IM session, and although I got speeds of near 200k/sec, it was nothing compared to the megs per sec. of the Yahoo Messenger transfer.
id di it with AOL, tho i it was slower compared to using a cable.. but after readnig your story.. Yahoo is on my "To download" list.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Great tip! Thanks for the info. You should send that to MacOS X Hints...
Done! Hopefully they'll upload it to their site!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

hsvgoku
Apr 15, 2003, 07:20 AM

Hehe ...its a good tip. Tried it today and it works and the file transfer is fast.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by hsvgoku:
Hehe ...its a good tip. Tried it today and it works and the file transfer is fast.
Thanks!! I'm glad it's helping other people out as well...to this day I'm still using to transfer batches of mp3s.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 02:41 PM

Trying to use it but is there a way to check the actual dload speed? It seems very slow. On a lan with ibook dual usb and osx.2.5 - Pc and winXP home edition.
Thanks

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Getoverit:
Trying to use it but is there a way to check the actual dload speed? It seems very slow. On a lan with ibook dual usb and osx.2.5 - Pc and winXP home edition.
Thanks
There's no way to check the transfer speeds as far as I know, however you should notice it being extremely fast. If not, it's sending signals through the internet and back rather than directly through your LAN. Are you sure you're using a router somewhere in between so that there's a single broadcasted IP address that both computers share? This is key to it working correctly; having a different IP for each computer won't allow Messenger to realize both machines are on the same LAN.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 12:16 AM

Ok that's the problem it's a hub not a router. I have an old graphite airport. That should give us 11mbps.

Thanks

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 09:38 AM

hmm, good info, gonna be in this exact situation when my PB arrives

thanks !

bjresta
Apr 23, 2003, 10:19 PM

No luck here... When I try to send a file from my Mac to my PC through Yahoo Messenger, I get a notice that says "The file you have choosen [sic] cannot be delivered because it exceeds the maximum file size. Currently, file transfer uploads are limited to 1MB. Please choose a smaller file to transfer."

Anyone else getting this? Or am I doing something wrong?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by bjresta:
No luck here... When I try to send a file from my Mac to my PC through Yahoo Messenger, I get a notice that says "The file you have choosen [sic] cannot be delivered because it exceeds the maximum file size. Currently, file transfer uploads are limited to 1MB. Please choose a smaller file to transfer."

Anyone else getting this? Or am I doing something wrong?
Hrmm...never heard that one, and I know there's not been a cap put in place as my friend just sent me a 5meg file a few minutes ago.

Maybe try deleting/uninstalling both Yahoo Messengers and try re-downloading them from messenger.yahoo.com. Best of luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2003, 01:31 PM

It sounds like bjresta's using Yahoo! Mail rather than Yahoo! Messenger, because Yahoo! Mail does have a 1MB attachment limit. Messenger (I think) will offer all sorts of options, like sending an email to the person you want to chat with-could this have been the stumbling block?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bjresta
Apr 24, 2003, 06:05 PM

Okay, I just deleted and then downloaded and reinstalled Yahoo Messenger. Tried to 'Send File" from within the Instant Message box. Got the same message regarding "exceeding maximum file size."

Any other ideas? Does this not happen to anyone else? Am using 10.2 5 on Airport behind a router, not that that should make any difference...

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2003, 12:43 AM

I still think SMB is the way to go. quick, fast & painless. i dont know how you got a bootsector error. all u have to do is clear the MBR.

use a win98 or winME bootdisk & do:

fdisk /mbr

that should fix your bootsector

honestly i dont think its cus of SMB. i run a w2k domain at home & i use SMB all the time to connect to w2k shares & never had a problem. i also use SMB to connect to my friends share when im at their house.

maybe your system was messed up to begin with.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by bjresta:
Okay, I just deleted and then downloaded and reinstalled Yahoo Messenger. Tried to 'Send File" from within the Instant Message box. Got the same message regarding "exceeding maximum file size."

Any other ideas? Does this not happen to anyone else? Am using 10.2 5 on Airport behind a router, not that that should make any difference...
Wow, I've never seen that one...my only thing to tell you is *make sure* both of your computers are using/seeing the SAME shared IP address. If they each have their own seperate IP's, it most likely won't work, they have to be sharing a single IP.

Originally posted by RMXO:
I still think SMB is the way to go. quick, fast & painless. i dont know how you got a bootsector error. all u have to do is clear the MBR.

use a win98 or winME bootdisk & do:

fdisk /mbr

that should fix your bootsector

honestly i dont think its cus of SMB. i run a w2k domain at home & i use SMB all the time to connect to w2k shares & never had a problem. i also use SMB to connect to my friends share when im at their house.

maybe your system was messed up to begin with.
Nada, my system was fine from the get-go. And trust me, I'm not the only one that's had issues w/ SMB. Granted, it's a great addition to OS X and works beautifully when it works, but it's still not 100% error free, and when it acts up, as I've found, it can cause major damage. As stated before, I'm simply offering an alternative to those that had the same problem I did, not saying one's better than another, just another option here.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2003, 02:16 PM

Hi AssassyN, ? Both computers are wireless via airport basestation. But their ip's are different. So i need to set my ip's in os x and winXp, how do i do this?

Thanks for any help!

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2003, 08:18 PM

Nada, my system was fine from the get-go. And trust me, I'm not the only one that's had issues w/ SMB. Granted, it's a great addition to OS X and works beautifully when it works, but it's still not 100% error free, and when it acts up, as I've found, it can cause major damage. As stated before, I'm simply offering an alternative to those that had the same problem I did, not saying one's better than another, just another option here.
true, your post is a good extra option. guess i have been lucky.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2003, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Getoverit:
Hi AssassyN, ? Both computers are wireless via airport basestation. But their ip's are different. So i need to set my ip's in os x and winXp, how do i do this?

Thanks for any help!
On your Mac, go into the AirPort Admin Utility and make the AirPort broadcast a shared IP rather than distributing unique IP's over the network. You do this by going to Mac HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> AirPort Admin Utility and then go to Show All Settings, then on the "Network" tab check the "Distribute IP addresses" box and make sure it has "Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)" dotted in.

Save those settings and both computers should now share a single IP. Hope this works for ya, and feel free to post any more questions!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

titania28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2003, 09:16 PM

Hey all...mac newbie here

I tried to do this method on AIM and couldn't get it to work, so I downloaded Yahoo Messenger to match AssassyN's description. However, every single time I try to send the file from the PC to my mac, it fails!

I'm trying to get one file from my #2 PC that is connected by cable to our router and my mac is connected by airport. I don't have my firewall on, so I'm not really understanding why this isn't working.

[Edit:] I forgot to mention that when I send files from my Mac to the PC, it works flawlessly...why not the other way around??

Any suggestions?
Titania

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 09:21 AM

Hmmm, I'm not using the FireWall either. My first suggestion is that if possible, WIRE your Mac to the router for the massive file transfers...it goes SO much faster than wireless.

And what kinda of error message does it give you exactly?

Try this: Start Yahoo Messenger on your PC, start Yahoo Messenger on your Mac, then message the PC via the Mac's Messenger with some message like "hi". Once that message pops up on the PC, simply don't hit anything except "Send File". Click that, select the file, and hit "Send". It should pop up on the Mac w/ the option to save.

Let us know if it works!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

D-BLOCK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2003, 11:03 AM

sweeeeeet....thanks for the info

eMac 800 Mhz Radeon - 640 Mb - 40 Gb
iBook 1.07 Ghz Radeon - 768 Mb - 30 Gb

n~s
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by titania28:
Hey all...mac newbie here

I tried to do this method on AIM and couldn't get it to work, so I downloaded Yahoo Messenger to match AssassyN's description. However, every single time I try to send the file from the PC to my mac, it fails!

I'm trying to get one file from my #2 PC that is connected by cable to our router and my mac is connected by airport. I don't have my firewall on, so I'm not really understanding why this isn't working.

[Edit:] I forgot to mention that when I send files from my Mac to the PC, it works flawlessly...why not the other way around??
You will need to configure your ABS to forward the right port to your Mac if you want to serve over wireless. If that's too much of a hassle, just connect the mac to your router via Ethernet for the file transfer...it should work then.

By the way, there's another free tool called FTP that requires no extra software. I use it all the time to move things over a LAN between Macs and PCs. Just turn on FTP access on your mac and use Internet Explorer on your PC to ftp to the Mac's IP address. It's all drag and drop from there.
You are not your signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules