Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I have music on my desktop Mac. How can I move them to my PB?

I have music on my desktop Mac. How can I move them to my PB?
ddukes
Apr 29, 2003, 12:43 AM

I also have an iPod which syncs with my desktop G4. The 12" PB is new and I want to be able to sync to both Macs but I don't know if it's possible.

What I really would appreciate is if someone knows of a way to just use my PB to sync with from now on by plugging my iPod into it. Everytime I plug it in it asks if I want to replace all the tracks on the iPod with the existing ones on my PB, thereby erasing all my music from the iPod and I have to re-sync it again with my desktop G4.

Someone please help!

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 01:04 AM

connect your desktop to your powerbook (the easiest way is to shutdown the PB, hold down "T" (for target) while it starts up, and then connect it to the desktop via firewire). copy the music folder over.

now your music's on your PB.

-------

second question: how make iPod sync to both macs - simply put you can't. Even if you have exactly the same songs on both syncing on one and then syncing on the other will involve erasing and replacing all the songs on the iPod.

The reason is to make it more difficult to steal music.

I'd suggest some possible solutions, but I"m not sure exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish by having your iPod sync to both macs and have then both have identical song lists (why not just sync to one, since syncing to the second doesn't change anything)
cpac

ddukes  (op)
Apr 29, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
connect your desktop to your powerbook (the easiest way is to shutdown the PB, hold down "T" (for target) while it starts up, and then connect it to the desktop via firewire). copy the music folder over.

now your music's on your PB
Thanks I forgot about that!

second question: how make iPod sync to both macs - simply put you can't. Even if you have exactly the same songs on both syncing on one and then syncing on the other will involve erasing and replacing all the songs on the iPod.

The reason is to make it more difficult to steal music.

I'd suggest some possible solutions, but I"m not sure exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish by having your iPod sync to both macs and have then both have identical song lists (why not just sync to one, since syncing to the second doesn't change anything)
Well I don't want to steal music. What I wanted was a way to play my music wherever I am (be it at my laptop or desktop). But this isn't a huge deal I'll probably just put the music on my laptop instead.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by ddukes:
Well I don't want to steal music. What I wanted was a way to play my music wherever I am (be it at my laptop or desktop). But this isn't a huge deal I'll probably just put the music on my laptop instead.
well with iTunes 4's new music sharing capability you can just have your laptop play the music that's on your desktop - even if you're at the office, you just need to know the desktops IP number, or be on a rendezvous network with it.

Then you don't even have to eat up the HD space on your PB.
cpac

ddukes  (op)
Apr 29, 2003, 03:06 PM

well with iTunes 4's new music sharing capability you can just have your laptop play the music that's on your desktop - even if you're at the office, you just need to know the desktops IP number, or be on a rendezvous network with it.

Thanks cpac. I'm blinded by all the hype!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 03:25 PM

I second that. I tried it this morning. on my home network. Very very cool. Now all I need to do is figure out how to access my home machine from work and I'll be set.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by ddukes:
I also have an iPod which syncs with my desktop G4. The 12" PB is new and I want to be able to sync to both Macs but I don't know if it's possible.

What I really would appreciate is if someone knows of a way to just use my PB to sync with from now on by plugging my iPod into it. Everytime I plug it in it asks if I want to replace all the tracks on the iPod with the existing ones on my PB, thereby erasing all my music from the iPod and I have to re-sync it again with my desktop G4.

Someone please help!
You could also get a program like PodWorks and just transfer the songs from iPod to Machine which ever one it is.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

boardsurfer
Apr 29, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
Now all I need to do is figure out how to access my home machine from work and I'll be set.
my thoughts exactly! *kicks stupid wintel box under the desk*

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
You could also get a program like PodWorks and just transfer the songs from iPod to Machine which ever one it is.
PodWorks? Does it do something like put the iPod into Target disk mode? Is that possible?
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules